Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 676408 Went and cut those logs for the older guy down the road tonite. Wanted to give the 490 set up with that 3/8 lp a try to see how it performed. @James Miller i love that saw now, really impressed me. 4-5 dead ash and 3 cherry. Biggest ash was 16” and cherry was pushing 18”. Slight tune adjustment and that 490 was a different Saw with that 3/8 lp on it. Thanks.
It really does make a difference on them. There was a guy that wanted to try 325 on his 241. You can thank him for sending me down the road to try 3/8lp on the 490.

Jeff not sure if this will work for you but it's common practice in my house to have the porch stacked up to about the 8ft mark at the start of winter.
BTW I'm pretty sure Ireland in winter is not a tropical paradise, I can't personally confirm that though :eek:.

Not sure I'd be taking my bride on honeymoon to a place where she's going to want to keep her clothes on :crazy2:.

Clearing bad trees around the camper spot down at my gf's land before we get the camper set in place...had a stack of 12x12" pavers for leveling the wheels and a couple stacks of cinder blocks to drop the leveling jacks down on. I was 3 for 3. Dropped the 1st two trees right on the stack of pavers and broke the top paver. Dropped a 14" 40ft scraggly walnut on a stack of cinder blocks and the top block exploded. No way did I think the top of that walnut (that was only 6") would destroy a cinder block. Glad we got extrees. Forestry helmet and logging boots are on the list for Bunyan....anybody going?

Looks good.
Thats a great deal on the little homelite.
Well the neighbor be dropping any wood off this fall.
I’ll have to go cut it first. There is a multi trunk mess he wants gone but there is corn in that field so if I get a window between harvest and snow, otherwise I’ll wait till spring.

I’ll have to go cut it first. There is a multi trunk mess he wants gone but there is corn in that field so if I get a window between harvest and snow, otherwise I’ll wait till spring.
Those are always nice, works well if they have a loader bucket to cut from if they separate high, then come back for the last couple 16" rounds, it's also nice when you can dump them into the woods and then de-limb them into the woods, easy with no cleanup :rock:.

Not sure I'd be taking my bride on honeymoon to a place where she's going to want to keep her clothes on :crazy2:.
After 25 years of marriage and 4 kids, the novelty has worn off a bit so that won’t be the focus of this trip. Lol.
I know the season may not be ideal but here’s how the trip came about. Close friends have a daughter doing a semester at a university in Ireland. They had planned on going to visit her but their youngest son, 13, got sick. Turned out to be a malignant brain tumor. They operated and got it but he is in the middle of chemo and he’s pretty sick. So no trip for them. So we decided to go. We will visit the daughter and see the country my family came from 4 generations before me.

Clearing bad trees around the camper spot down at my gf's land before we get the camper set in place...had a stack of 12x12" pavers for leveling the wheels and a couple stacks of cinder blocks to drop the leveling jacks down on. I was 3 for 3. Dropped the 1st two trees right on the stack of pavers and broke the top paver. Dropped a 14" 40ft scraggly walnut on a stack of cinder blocks and the top block exploded. No way did I think the top of that walnut (that was only 6") would destroy a cinder block. Glad we got extrees. Forestry helmet and logging boots are on the list for Bunyan....anybody going?
Depending on weather I’m going Friday or Saturday.

46A1DC23-CD1B-441A-AE30-9057442DEEF1.jpeg 5D5A1ADC-1286-472D-B58D-1BD32574512E.jpegWas doing some work in the chicken coop tonight and decided it was time to make some noodles for bedding. I had a couple pieces of manitoba maple, elm and silver maple that the splitter didn’t like so out came the MS460. Not too long ago I sharpened the chain and filed the rakers. I was pretty aggressive in the raker filing and took them lower than I normally do. Boy was that ever the right thing to do! It cuts like mad! Didn’t take long to make a heap of noodles, I stuffed two feed bags full and an arm load in the nesting boxes.
Forgot how pleasing it is to run a real saw, I hadn’t run this one since spring and it was way overdue! Some pretty grain, colors and spalting in this wood. It’s almost a shame to burn it. B199CC7A-6D13-4A4A-92FC-4FABA1B89C91.jpeg

Great job, and I love the pic of the muffler mod! Sure makes those 460s run like they should.

I had modded one for a pro firewood guy a year ago, and recently he brought me his other 460 that was dying (and did not have a Magnum sticker). I fixed the problems with the saw, drilled the two holes in the muffler, removed the carb limiters and gave the saw back to him (he had been ready to scrap it).

He gave it to his helper to try out. The guy cuts a few good size cuts with it in Oak and looks up at his boss and exclaims "It's as strong as the Magnum saw"!!!

View attachment 676573 View attachment 676575Was doing some work in the chicken coop tonight and decided it was time to make some noodles for bedding. I had a couple pieces of manitoba maple, elm and silver maple that the splitter didn’t like so out came the MS460. Not too long ago I sharpened the chain and filed the rakers. I was pretty aggressive in the raker filing and took them lower than I normally do. Boy was that ever the right thing to do! It cuts like mad! Didn’t take long to make a heap of noodles, I stuffed two feed bags full and an arm load in the nesting boxes.
Forgot how pleasing it is to run a real saw, I hadn’t run this one since spring and it was way overdue! Some pretty grain, colors and spalting in this wood. It’s almost a shame to burn it.

Aggressive chains like that are awesome for noodles, makes for a thicker noodle which I like for both starting fires, and using in the coop! I go through quite a few feed bags so I've always got some, they work well for filling up with noodles but don't breath as well as I'd like.

I also like running an outer dog on any of my saws 70 cc or larger. Most are designed for the 440, but are only about 1/4" off on the 460 and work just fine (with the bark you don't even notice it is not even).

I sold a 044 with dual dogs to a Tree Guy a couple of years ago. He loves that saw and told me if I have another to let him know. I recently let him test 3 saws, and he took one, and one of the reasons for taking it was "it had the dual dogs"!!! I told him I can put them on any of them, but he just liked that one!

First fire of the year last night, house was down to 62.
Pretty sure I had my last fire for the season last night.

On another note when I was cycling home from work yesterday I spotted a tree guy getting off a bus with an Ms200T in hand was thinking he must of lost his car licence drink driving (maybe)> Wonder what the passengers were thinking when I guy gets on the bus with a Chainsaw. :chainsaw:

Great job, and I love the pic of the muffler mod! Sure makes those 460s run like they should.

I had modded one for a pro firewood guy a year ago, and recently he brought me his other 460 that was dying (and did not have a Magnum sticker). I fixed the problems with the saw, drilled the two holes in the muffler, removed the carb limiters and gave the saw back to him (he had been ready to scrap it).

He gave it to his helper to try out. The guy cuts a few good size cuts with it in Oak and looks up at his boss and exclaims "It's as strong as the Magnum saw"!!!

That was the problem, right there. You didn't need to do all that other fancy stuff :laugh:.

Pretty sure I had my last fire for the season last night.

On another note when I was cycling home from work yesterday I spotted a tree guy getting off a bus with an Ms200T in hand was thinking he must of lost his car licence drink driving (maybe)> Wonder what the passengers were thinking when I guy gets on the bus with a Chainsaw. :chainsaw:

They're thinking he should have got a 661.

Back