Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do, but I already have a new one and a ported one, besides I prefer the all orange versions ;).
We'll talk though.

Oh, your bar is on upside-down :innocent: :laughing:.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji1303][emoji41]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Several years back I was looking through an old logging book, on-line, from around 1900. They had one chapter devoted to building a railroad. ONE CHAPTER!!!

(Today, we would have 20 volumes just on the specifications for the spikes!)

Philbert

Not to foget the entire bookshelf full of applications for permits, approval to log, etc. etc. etc. all of whichwhere turned down.

Played with my new toy a little bit today (Ported Asian Big Bore #5). Finished cutting up all my uncut logs. Was a lot of start + stop as I had to dig them out and move rounds, (or half the logs and then move the halves). She ran pretty well, I think she picked up a little.

Went to start it warm w/o the decomp and I was glad to redo it with the decomp. I guess with the squish at 0.17 I should not be surprised.

Only consumed a half a tank by the time I was done, so I'm pleased with the fuel consumption rate. She started easily, idled well and cut well, so I have nothing to complain about!

I am so weak from laying in hospital that I couldn't pull the MS362 to start it yesterday. Never thought to use the decomp. Is there any difference in the procedure with/without decomp? If I can get that first full pull it will start every time.

Noodled my last load of White Oak today. The stuff is just too big for my 038. Had to resharpen after quartering each piece. Need to break out a new file; that's part of the problem. Ended up sawing to the center, then using a maul and wedges to get it into quarters. I'm tired.

Yep. It took me waaayyyy too many years to learn to throw out a file. I now buy by the dozen

Dealer offered me a 365xtorq new with 24” bar and two chains for $699. I passed. Did I make a mistake?

I want another husky (or a jred), but being I have the ms461 I didn’t see a need for the 365. From what I read, with a few tweaks, it’s basically a 372?

Dealer offered me a 365xtorq new with 24” bar and two chains for $699. I passed. Did I make a mistake?

I want another husky (or a jred), but being I have the ms461 I didn’t see a need for the 365. From what I read, with a few tweaks, it’s basically a 372?
Apparently the difference is the transfer port covers which can be ground. I had a 365 xt and a ms 460 , both stock. With 18" bar on the husky and a 20 on the stihl (that's how I got them) , I couldn't tell the difference in power. I didn't feel like I needed 2 70cc saws so I ended up sending the 365 down the road because I liked the way the 460 felt in my hands a bit better.
If someone was looking for a good value on a 70cc saw and doesn't care about that one or two seconds difference cutting a 20" round I'd recommend a 365xt and put the extra money towards something else.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

That's a fair deal for sure. But the 572 isn't much more on sale for comparison. The 3 series will probably go away soon.

Apparently the difference is the transfer port covers which can be ground. I had a 365 xt and a ms 460 , both stock. With 18" bar on the husky and a 20 on the stihl (that's how I got them) , I couldn't tell the difference in power. I didn't feel like I needed 2 70cc saws so I ended up sending the 365 down the road because I liked the way the 460 felt in my hands a bit better.
If someone was looking for a good value on a 70cc saw and doesn't care about that one or two seconds difference cutting a 20" round I'd recommend a 365xt and put the extra money towards something else.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
That's a fair deal for sure. But the 572 isn't much more on sale for comparison. The 3 series will probably go away soon.

Thanks Gents. I’m good with my decision now ;)

I want to add a 372xp at some point, but I don’t “need” one. The wife already gives me the stink eye when I mention chainsaws. She knows I’ll be buying another 254, so I have permission on that at least! LMBO

Don't overlook that new 462, especially since you already must have several Stihl B+Cs. It will cost a bit more, but you will not match the power to weight with any of the others.

As a bonus, it is computer controlled (no tuning), has great spring AV, and clean air filter tech. If you keep your saws for many years like I often do, the cost difference will soon seem insignificant.

has great spring AV, and clean air filter tech.
I like hearing this from stihl guys, to me those are two things that helped make the 361 such a great saw.
And as a guy who leans heavy towards the husky saws in the 50cc plus range, I have no problem saying the 462 is a great saw.
I'd also add that even though the 440/460/461 have terrible pre-filtering qualities they are near bulletproof saws.
Ran the ported 440 yesterday with a 28 on to fell the black locust yesterday and limbed and cut most of the tree up with it as well until it ran out of fuel, then I ran the 2166. I also ran the ported 261cm early version to drop the other 14" tree and buck/limb it up, half a tank did the duty no problem.

This ones for @Philbert , I may get in trouble :oops: :lol:.

Don't overlook that new 462, especially since you already must have several Stihl B+Cs. It will cost a bit more, but you will not match the power to weight with any of the others.

As a bonus, it is computer controlled (no tuning), has great spring AV, and clean air filter tech. If you keep your saws for many years like I often do, the cost difference will soon seem insignificant.

Good points. I love my 461, so I’ll probably stick with it for now. It only gets used for big stuff, as it wears a 28” ES B+C.

The 361 and 241 are the go to saws 95% of the time, with the little 241 becoming my #1 pick most of the time...

Ok desperate times call for desperate measures. Any of you local guys have a 60DL 3/8 .050 chain I could buy, steal, or borrow for a chain build off. No luck getting from local shops.
@turnkey4099 glad your recovering and getting back on your feet.
Shoot me a pm. I can mail you something

View attachment 815859
View attachment 815859
Finally got the 066 vid to open! Looks and sounds good bouncing around on that table, but I want to see it eating some wood!

When I built the Asian Twins (near identical Cross 660 P+Cs) I did different muffler mods to them. The one that sounded meaner and spooled up quicker had far less torque in the wood. I made up another muffler like was on the first one and all was good again! That saw was so strong I wanted to keep it, but the buyer came over and stuck money in my hand and it went away! (It was fair, I had agreed to build it for him).

In the wood is where it counts!
Thanks Mike I had to order the worm gear for it should be in today. If it is I will finish up the clutch side and get a video of it cutting some old dry eucalyptus. I wish I knew how to post a video the right way like everyone else does

Latest posts

Back