Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on whether you are having a good day or a bad day ;).

I learned the hard way to wear PPE. One situation was about a year and a half ago, I was felling a tree and just as it started to move, a limb from way above hit me on the top of my head. Pretty quick I had blood running down my face. It hit hard, if it was much bigger it probably would have knocked me out. My hard hat was in the truck, doh! Just one example.

I learned the hard way to wear PPE. One situation was about a year and a half ago, I was felling a tree and just as it started to move, a limb from way above hit me on the top of my head. Pretty quick I had blood running down my face. It hit hard, if it was much bigger it probably would have knocked me out. My hard hat was in the truck, doh! Just one example.
Yep, bad day without PPE can be expensive.
Almost always wear a hardhat when felling, and I'm not to prideful to run when they let loose either.
Here's one for @MechanicMatt , it's the little 242 taking care of a little locust leaner, fun saw.

One white, 4 red, and a small maple. Small guys in my way. Cleaned some of up before it started snowing, now on and off with rain mixed in. Darn 550 is becoming a nice saw to use.
In the way of dropping bigger trees, or just generally in the way.
It was snowing here a couple hrs ago, then the suns been shining most the time since with some strong wind. May see if the neighbor wants me to drop a few black locust in his back yard as the wind makes it favorable to do them today.
Yep, 550 is a great saw, which one do you have, the mk1 or 2. Just sold my mk2 a couple weeks ago, I figured keep the mk1 as I will have many chances to get another mk2 down the rd if I want another one.

I went out for another scrounge on Wednesday. I was having some difficulty uploading pics so I'm sorry you've all had to wait until now for them. First I split and loaded most of the peppermint from last time.

8th Apr 1.jpg

There's stihl a bit left including a few unsplittable crotches that will need noodling.

8th Apr 2.jpg

Then I spied another dead peppermint that fell over during last week's rain event. Doesn't look like much but prolly a touch under half a cord and easy wood. I like the tops also for the firepit.

8th Apr 3.jpg

But that's for another day. Today's plan was to attack this big blue gum log...

8th Apr 4.jpg

But then this happened...

8th Apr 5.jpg

:crazy2:

I have a couple trees like that to deal with, only they’re maybe 16-18 inches. I plan on pulling them down with the loader.
I'll probably do a video of some larger ones using the skidding winch on the little kubota, their still attached at the stump and leaning a lot. Not sure when I'll get to them though as I want to fill the woodshed first.

Good luck. That's great to be able to pour that much at a time without worrying about it. That coffee table top I poured recently was one of my biggest hail mary's. Three different epoxy resins, only one of which I had worked with before, and only one hardener for all three. It took nearly 48 hrs to pour the lot and two weeks of sweating on the cure. If only there was a reasonably priced clear epoxy available locally that can handle large pour volumes. Alas, it's all too expensive for me.
I'm still waiting to bump into my mate at the essential food shopping place, to get the remaining few ltrs needed to finish this one off:
View attachment 815800
I just poured about 2 hours ago. Must have a little leak in the tape. Went down about an 1/8 of an inch but I can fix that in about 4 hours. Once it sets it wont settle anymore . Shame is there isn't a bubble in it20200409_135339.jpg20200409_142603.jpg20200409_142545.jpg20200409_142610.jpg20200409_143230.jpg

In the way of dropping bigger trees, or just generally in the way.
It was snowing here a couple hrs ago, then the suns been shining most the time since with some strong wind. May see if the neighbor wants me to drop a few black locust in his back yard as the wind makes it favorable to do them today.
Yep, 550 is a great saw, which one do you have, the mk1 or 2. Just sold my mk2 a couple weeks ago, I figured keep the mk1 as I will have many chances to get another mk2 down the rd if I want another one.
My 550 mk1 is a 2018 rebuild with OEM gaskets, bearings, seal, p/c, then reflashed. Opened up muffler only.

I've been tying to take up the slack to post photos, but I'm just one man!

I was thinking of you when I posted that. You've been doing an excellent job :numberone: . Consistent loads (even if small) add up to significant amounts of scrounge after a while.

I narrowly survived the encounter with the drop goat then Limby got to work.

8th Apr 6.jpg

My past experience with blue gum is that it is tough going to split by hand and near impossible when it is dry. You can stand there beating it like a red-headed step-son for ages and stihl not get anywhere. I was pleasantly surprised with this one though. There was a small defect in the centre and I was able to halve the smallest round with 8 hits with the X27 then it was all one hit splits from there. By far the easiest blue gum I have come across (no doubt cutting shorter rounds helped but all the same...).

8th Apr 7.jpg

8th Apr 8.jpg

I split up exactly this much before I had to go home and get prettied up for work.

8th Apr 9.jpg

:)

I just poured about 2 hours ago. Must have a little leak in the tape. Went down about an 1/8 of an inch but I can fix that in about 4 hours. Once it sets it wont settle anymore . Shame is there isn't a bubble in itView attachment 816099View attachment 816100View attachment 816102View attachment 816103View attachment 816104
Looking good. I like how epoxy can take multiple pours hours apart and still have a chemical bond between them and no glue line.

Hopefully there's a sacrificial sheet of something on the floor? I've got a few different rectangle shapes marked out on the concrete floor of the sheltered workshop. Marked out in either drops of resin or stains from the resin I scraped/chipped off the floor :) Took me a few years to realise I should put something down on the floor first. First attempt at doing so I used cardboard and that was a nightmare to chip off the concrete floor once the resin had worked its way through the cardboard and fused everything to the floor when it cured. Now I just use old scraps of wood destined for the incinerator.

Are you sealing the edges before the main pour to help reduce bubbles? Or not really needed. I see the gas torch there on the bench, presumably for popping them? I use a portable butane torche that just screws to the top of those wee butane/propane camping gas cans. Tried a heat gun, didn't like it. Tried the gas torch but I didn't like messing with the lines and keeping them from dropping dust into larger pieces I have to lean over to reach.

Man you guys that split wood by hand makes me tired watching. I'm glad I got a splitter years ago. My shoulders hurt too bad to do it by hand.

Today, I only got 2/3s a load of Red Oak. There was a pile yesterday of branches that I was planning on getting today. But the neat piles of logs, which I had photos of earlier, the log guy had stacked around where now pushed onto one big row. I had to crawl around and cut and dig out the branches. Couldn't get to the bottom of the pile or else I would have gotten a full load. The only good thing is I won't have to split most of what I got today.

IMG_9267.JPG

Looking good. I like how epoxy can take multiple pours hours apart and still have a chemical bond between them and no glue line.

Hopefully there's a sacrificial sheet of something on the floor? I've got a few different rectangle shapes marked out on the concrete floor of the sheltered workshop. Marked out in either drops of resin or stains from the resin I scrapped/chipped off the floor :) Took me a few years to realise I should put something down on the floor first. First attempt at doing so I used cardboard and that was a nightmare to chip off the concrete floor once the resin had worked its way through the cardboard and fused everything to the floor when it cured. Now I just use old scraps of wood destined for the incinerator.

Are you sealing the edges before the main pour to help reduce bubbles? Or not really needed. I see the gas torch there on the bench, presumably for popping them? I use a portable butane torche that just screws to the top of those wee butane/propane camping gas cans. Tried a heat gun, didn't like it. Tried the gas torch but I didn't like messing with the lines and keeping them from dropping dust into larger pieces I have to lean over to reach.
It's on a piece plastic on the bench . Nothing dripped to the floor it's all formed up but I'm going to wait the full 4 hours before the second coat. This is just to fill the river. I'm going to let it dry 72 hours and sand it and use shellac to seal the top prior to the flow coat over the whole top I used lacquer to seal the river edges Also need to square it up before hand. I like the b tank it's a small acetylene plumber's torch .

Second pour torched 4 times . This epoxy needs 75 to 85 temps to cure properly. Stove is cranking the windows are open . Lol . Going to let it sit 72 hours drum sand it and do a flow coat. Not bad for scrap wood from my 68s wood bed.
Wasnt my idea but the misses thought it would look good going from the blue to the the clear . Shes the artist in the family . Not going to say anything but it does look great

20200409_185226.jpg20200409_185238.jpg

Latest posts

Back