Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talk me through your thoughts on the mk2 @Duce??
I have a mk1..... The best description I heard was the mk1 was a scalpel perfect for limbing where as the Ms261 was an axe better for bucking. I’m curious if the current 550 and 261 Have swapped this or are they now almost the same?
Have only ran it for that one tree. Also had a 2018 550xp1 and liked that saw also (probably should have kept it). This mk2 seems to have more grunt, opened muffler on both. Both are light enough for me, mk1 seemed more fuel efficient, if that matters. Primed it and popped 2 pull, started on 3rd, after that it was a one pull start rest of time. I did let it cool down a few times to move brush to burn pile. Both are nice saws, if you have a later model mk1 would probably just keep that saw, unless you want both. Cannot comment on Stihl saws never owned one, repaired a few.

A few shot of the piles of Red Oak recently dropped off at the log yard. I posted whether or not to take it since I have enough for two years already. Well I thought I'd try to sell a load or two of my seasoned wood this Fall and replenish it with this wood. The big logs in each shot areIMG_9658.JPGIMG_9659.JPGIMG_9660.JPGIMG_9662.JPG 24" or bigger. Don't know what happened to the photos.

Don't mean to drag this post on and on, but it's going to take me a while to get all of this. I started on the smallest pile and I'll get 1.5 loads minimum. Originally I thought I'd get four loads total, but not touching and of the 24" logs, I may get ten? I'll have to winch those on.

My buddy who lives in the woods had a sugar maple come down in a recent storm. Score! However, it was leaning heavily on a poplar and was sketchy as all get out. My friend had a bonafide tree guy drop it. That's where I come in! Got halfway there and realized I forgot to put the bar oil in the truck so instead of an hour round trip either home or to a store, we raided the kitchen and vegetable oil got the call. The poulan didn't care. Should have brought the ms460. There was a lot more tree there than my friends pictures showed, but the poulan 2050 and Stihl rs chain worked out ok. Would have liked a little cooler weather but it felt good to run a saw.
3c12816ad586b1bed805ff359a6fbc77.jpg
d96656e99f1da617903ae8cb76fcdb81.jpg
352fdddf95166c06e2197d9f0424c457.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

My Brother has a DeWalt battery chainsaw and really likes it for the smaller stuff.

I recently got a DeWalt battery powered hedge trimmer and I have to say I'm impressed.

It is light, well balanced and cuts well, and I did a bunch of work with it and only used 1/3 of the battery!

(All 20V stuff)

My Brother has a DeWalt batter chainsaw and really likes it for the smaller stuff.

I recently go a DeWalt battery powered hedge trimmer and I have to say I'm impresses.

It is light, well balanced and cuts well, and I did a bunch of work with it and only used 1/3 of the battery!

(All 20V stuff)
I have the 20 volt impact and the drill and a 60volt battery for them, mine was faster and had more power with the impact than his corded 3/8 drill installing 3.5" torx deck screws, and that's with the 20volt batter and I had it set on 2 lol. The other thing is it's so light.
For me it's just a matter of when I get a battery saw:chainsaw:.
Forgot to say I never recharged it on the small job we did building a deck (6'x8') and then sheeting it with 3/4" green wood, had to be careful not to sink them too far.

Look at what you done. You're mum's upset.

For the benefit of those in the Northern Hemisphere, bickering between Aussies and Kiwis is normal. Kinda like sibling rivalry. New Zealanders are like the younger brother who always tries that much harder in sporting contests against the elder sibling and revels in the victories when they occur. I won't bring up the last cricket series between us where they got clobbered (oh wait, I just did), but you don't mess with New Zealand on the rugby field.

Look away, @LondonNeil , here's Jonah Lomu in action against England.

When the chips are down, though, we stick together with our sheep loving brothers from across the Tasman sea.

Also, because it's imperative yous fellas in the North understand, I quoted a saying from a notorious Aussie 'outlaw', Chopper Reid, when i posted "look at what you done. You're Mum's upset". Just as Coyboy had done with his "blow it put your @ss" quote of another Aussie. Inside jokes on a USA forum. Nobody said we were wise.

And sorry to keep reading of the Kung Flu issues in Victoria at the mo Cowboy. If only it were the covidiots killing themselves. Sadly, everyone suffers for the madness of a few selfish @sswipes.

For the benefit of those in the Northern Hemisphere, bickering between Aussies and Kiwis is normal. Kinda like sibling rivalry. New Zealanders are like the younger brother who always tries that much harder in sporting contests against the elder sibling and revels in the victories when they occur. I won't bring up the last cricket series between us where they got clobbered (oh wait, I just did), but you don't mess with New Zealand on the rugby field.

Look away, @LondonNeil , here's Jonah Lomu in action against England.

When the chips are down, though, we stick together with our sheep loving brothers from across the Tasman sea.

You had to mention the rugby and England, didn't ya! I know you were just giving the knife to Neil to twist, knowing all too well that England played us out of the last World Cup.

And sorry to keep reading of the Kung Flu issues in Victoria at the mo Cowboy. If only it were the covidiots killing themselves. Sadly, everyone suffers for the madness of a few selfish @sswipes.

Yeah, it's not great. Nearly had it covered but for the hotel quarantine cock-up here in Victoriastan. Situation is like this:
1. Federal gummint offers states use of Aus Defence Force personnel to maintain quarantine to the states for free.
2. NSW and Queensland take up the offer. Cases drop effectively to zero. Dan the Man from Victoriastan, however, says "No thanks, we'll get private security to do it. Sure, there's no time to put out a tender, so we'll just give it to our Union maaaates. Also, there's no time to train them, so we'll just put them straight in.
3. Said Unionised private security maaaates (who happen to have among their number, quite a lot of employees of Middle-Eastern extraction) take quarantined arrivals out for meals, shopping, and in some cases, have sex with quarantinies, who, unfortunately have the virus.
4. Infected security maaates of middle-eastern extraction attend mosques and large family gatherings during some religious festival of something or other.
5. Virus is rampant. We all suffer as a result, all stemming from four stupid politicians who happen to still be in charge.

Laughably, a few years ago, the Premier (think Governor) of New South Wales was hounded into resigning because he accepted a gratuity from someone in the form of a bottle of Grange Hermitage (the most famous Australian red wine). The Premier of Victoria unleashes the virus through the state, kills people and destroys the businesses and livelihoods of others thanks to a bit of old fashioned corruption and he's stihl there. F-me.

Yeah, it's not great. Nearly had it covered but for the hotel quarantine cock-up here in Victoriastan. Situation is like this:
1. Federal gummint offers states use of Aus Defence Force personnel to maintain quarantine to the states for free.
2. NSW and Queensland take up the offer. Cases drop effectively to zero. Dan the Man from Victoriastan, however, says "No thanks, we'll get private security to do it. Sure, there's no time to put out a tender, so we'll just give it to our Union maaaates. Also, there's no time to train them, so we'll just put them straight in.
3. Said Unionised private security maaaates (who happen to have among their number, quite a lot of employees of Middle-Eastern extraction) take quarantined arrivals out for meals, shopping, and in some cases, have sex with quarantinies, who, unfortunately have the virus.
4. Infected security maaates of middle-eastern extraction attend mosques and large family gatherings during some religious festival of something or other.
5. Virus is rampant. We all suffer as a result, all stemming from four stupid politicians who happen to still be in charge.

Laughably, a few years ago, the Premier (think Governor) of New South Wales was hounded into resigning because he accepted a gratuity from someone in the form of a bottle of Grange Hermitage (the most famous Australian red wine). The Premier of Victoria unleashes the virus through the state, kills people and destroys the businesses and livelihoods of others thanks to a bit of old fashioned corruption and he's stihl there. F-me.
Chin up cobber. It's just three more prime ministers until Christmas. :)

Chin up cobber. It's just three more prime ministers until Christmas. :)

While I have some reservations about the PM, this is not his fault, it is the Premier (Governor) of the state of Victoria. We can't democratically get rid of him for another two years. God knows what will happen in that time.

Cowboy Qustion on bullet point 3 .... Is that actually confirmed?

Latest posts

Back