Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Serious, I can't remember how many times I went around that chain, but I promise it was at least 4.
I've had chains that I couldn't get thru with a round file and had to use a flat file to remove enough material so I could use a round file :rare2:.
I can snag it up and run it thru the grinder again, I have a new CBN wheel on it now :).

No no

You dont need to go over it. I got most of them. Just mentioned it For your own info.

As i said before, im thankful for what you did for me to save that chain and i learned lot just looking at how you did it.

[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji41]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

How about a long frozen cookie

Lol
After running both for the last 3 months the 462 is just a little faster with 28” and about the same with a 32” I feel like. I’ll try to get you some better cookie cutting comparisons.

Well that was a much bigger cookie and it was only 10 seconds, the same time that 462 took to go thru a 12-14 log :rock:.
Did you try them both with a 36" bar, surely the husky would win then:sucks:, but at least I have both, so I'm not complaining:happybanana:.

No no

You dont need to go over it. I got most of them. Just mentioned it For your own info.

As i said before, im thankful for what you did for me to save that chain and i learned lot just looking at how you did it.

[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji41]

You may have to remind me of just what I did, I have quite a few that need to be run thru the grinder. I still haven't used the CBN wheel, I think I've had it over a month now. I have gone thru a few files though :yes:.

What's a couple lbs between friends :lol: .
They really knocked the 462 out of the park.
My ported 372 xtorq with a wrap and the huge Safety Pro dogs was 18lbs full iirc :muscle:.
The light weight does come at price. The first 462 I bought used had a cracked clutch cover and clutch side case had been replaced because it broke around bar studs. The guy I bought from runs 32” bars, big dawgs, and might have been heavy handed with the bar wrench, but I’ve heard of others having the same issues. If your running short bars, small dawgs and use a short handle bar wrench probably not an issue but not something you have to worry about with a 572. I also much prefer the clutch side handle spacing on the 572.

The light weight does come at price. The first 462 I bought used had a cracked clutch cover and clutch side case had been replaced because it broke around bar studs. The guy I bought from runs 32” bars, big dawgs, and might have been heavy handed with the bar wrench, but I’ve heard of others having the same issues. If your running short bars, small dawgs and use a short handle bar wrench probably not an issue but not something you have to worry about with a 572. I also much prefer the clutch side handle spacing on the 572.
Everything comes at a "price", seems we always have to give a little in one area to make up in another. I'm married, I understand this well, and my wife agrees :laughing:.

Well with the odd weather this year here we are at the beginning of January and I think I’ve only gone through about 1 1/2 cord. at the very most I’d say 1 3/4 of a cord at the most. And the wife has been home all day this time because of Covid so she’s been keeping the stove full

bdec9a6f5410411c9aaf995f98b73a6c.jpg

Yeah, buddy! That's way more than I need. For the cost of 1 haircut, I bought these 30 years ago. Been sportin' the same flat top haircut i do myself ever since. Use a couple drops of Hoppe's lubricating oil about every third use.
20210103_164509.jpg

For you guys who live in the snow belt:

IMG_0955.jpg

I pick these up all the time: they are the bristles from the tractor-mounted, rotary snow brooms that clean the sidewalks in the city. Clip them off at an angle with a pair of side-cutting pliers, and they make great tools for poking at and cleaning crud from the corners of chainsaw covers and cases, without scratching like metal tools do. Stiff, but don't break as easily as toothpicks or shish-kabob skewers. And they are free!

Philbert

Been sawing on the logs I've had delivered for the last couple of weekends so no scrounging for me. Keeping the shop stove stoked with blocks and chunks as I've had a few days off now. They burn good and it'd be a shame not to use em, but I got a fair path worn to the woodshed now...:chop:

Finally got to do some work around the house this weekend. The park season is finally over, so were switching to having weekends off till we open back up. My uncle and I have been building a new dump trailer/yard cart. Got it home last night. Still have a few things to do to it. Namely get the dump cylinder installed, and make a tongue up for it. Turned out a good bit bigger then I had planned, guess my uncle didnt want to cut the sheet down and have extra drop. Sorry for the bad picture, we were waiting for the rain/sleet to let up to unload it. I'll get better pics tomorrow. Have another set of wheels and tires that are wider, that should fit it and just stick out a bit more.
16097158907207874050493677891949.jpg

I think that would cure anyone of liking pike lol.
You coming down this way, we got a couple more inches after my post on Friday, and an inch or two last night, sure the ex-ways are goo to go.
Today will be the third time I've cleared the snow off the spot I'm moving the chicken coop to, I need to make sure I get it moved today :innocent: .
Kind of similar to my situation of installing a water and power line. I take my trencher and trench 150ft of trench. I threw the underground wire in the ditch and started glueing up the conduit for the bigger wires. Got late and started raining. I give it up until the next day and wake up to 3 1/2 inches of snow, then temps down to 8f for a couple days. I go back to the trench and the sides had fluffed off and filled the ditch in. I couldnt retrench because of the wire in the bottom. I take a set of post hole diggers and clean the ditch out, except for about 5 feet right in the middle where a big rock had broken from the side walls and was to hard to break up with the post hole digger. Over nite it rained again and refilled with loose dirt. Another hand digging with the post hole diggers . Next day I go to Tractor supply and buy a 17lb wrecking bar to break up the rock. By just luck I had pulled the wire out of the ditch. I get back to break up the rock and the last half of the ditch had fell in again. This was getting old, but there was no longer wire in the ditch so I fired up the trencher and retrenched the ditch. Dirt was falling back in ditch as fast as I could trench, but I got thru the big rock. I hurried and cleaned out the rest of the ditch, again with post hole digger and hurried threw in the electric and water lines. Probably wait another month and wont be a speck of dirt fall in that ditch. I ended up trenching that ditch twice and re-digging three times with the post diggers.

Latest posts

Back