Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been sawing on the logs I've had delivered for the last couple of weekends so no scrounging for me. Keeping the shop stove stoked with blocks and chunks as I've had a few days off now. They burn good and it'd be a shame not to use em, but I got a fair path worn to the woodshed now...:chop:

We do the same. save all the odd shaped/small pc’s for when we are home to watch it.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I find that 10 "heaping" wheelbarrow loads generally = about 1/2 cord, if that helps. (But my 1/2 cord loads are a bit generous).
Thanks Mike. I wasn't heaping loads as I had to come down 3 steps, and i reckon your 'barrow must be bigger than mine, I didn't shift 3/4 of a cord.

Good man. All we are saying is give pine a chance.:clap:
Well I can honestly say I'll burn it if its given to me cut split and dry . Not going to go through the motions with pine when I have hardwoods.
We are white again now, got about an inch and it is still coming down.
There's about 3 inches here . Still snowing damn I hate winter

Yeah, buddy! That's way more than I need. For the cost of 1 haircut, I bought these 30 years ago. Been sportin' the same flat top haircut i do myself ever since. Use a couple drops of Hoppe's lubricating oil about every third use.
View attachment 879986
That's what I'm talking about :cheers:.

You may have to remind me of just what I did, I have quite a few that need to be run thru the grinder. I still haven't used the CBN wheel, I think I've had it over a month now. I have gone thru a few files though :yes:.

Best pic i can get. Phone wont focus right. This is after one touch up by me. The picture is deceiving as there is way more “hook”than it looks.

5b3f5c025fec66ab0ef9c33b914ffc37.jpg

Kind of similar to my situation of installing a water and power line. I take my trencher and trench 150ft of trench. I threw the underground wire in the ditch and started glueing up the conduit for the bigger wires. Got late and started raining. I give it up until the next day and wake up to 3 1/2 inches of snow, then temps down to 8f for a couple days. I go back to the trench and the sides had fluffed off and filled the ditch in. I couldnt retrench because of the wire in the bottom. I take a set of post hole diggers and clean the ditch out, except for about 5 feet right in the middle where a big rock had broken from the side walls and was to hard to break up with the post hole digger. Over nite it rained again and refilled with loose dirt. Another hand digging with the post hole diggers . Next day I go to Tractor supply and buy a 17lb wrecking bar to break up the rock. By just luck I had pulled the wire out of the ditch. I get back to break up the rock and the last half of the ditch had fell in again. This was getting old, but there was no longer wire in the ditch so I fired up the trencher and retrenched the ditch. Dirt was falling back in ditch as fast as I could trench, but I got thru the big rock. I hurried and cleaned out the rest of the ditch, again with post hole digger and hurried threw in the electric and water lines. Probably wait another month and wont be a speck of dirt fall in that ditch. I ended up trenching that ditch twice and re-digging three times with the post diggers.
Wow, glad it wasn't that bad :omg:.
I did manage to get the snow cleared again, then got the coop picked up and was like :oops:, who put that wire there :dumb:. Well of course everyone knows who put it there, I just forgot that I had take it down to put the coop in there, it's the kids zip-line. I managed to weasel it down the line to where it was a bit higher and my wife held the line up enough to get it under, it barely made it though. Got it all in position and then the chickens would come over there :laugh:, the kids rounded them up and put them in there. Sure they'll figure it out, but who knows when. The good thing is I can see the coop where it is now our bathroom window, think bang! I still need to get the fence up for the run, pretty sure that will be a spring project although I may try to figure out what materials I'm going to use/lay it all out, so I can sell the leftovers and re"coup" some of the cash from buying it all. That would also fee up one of my covered trailers so I don't have to buy another on lol. I will still need to run the electrical, want to come help:lol:.

Best pic i can get. Phone wont focus right. This is after one touch up by me. The picture is deceiving as there is way more “hook”than it looks.

5b3f5c025fec66ab0ef9c33b914ffc37.jpg

Looks good to me, I don't think it has too much hook at all.
I like those EXL chains, they are pretty hard metal.

Scrounged reels. All but the little black and gold one came from the free pile at the dump. The guy ahead of me only took one from the pile, I grabbed the rest. Nothing fancy but they’ll work well for the kid’s ice rods. And if one goes zip from a zealous pike, no big loss.

I stripped all of the crappy line off and am going to clean them up with hot water, dawn and a toothbrush. Also the nicer Shimano has some real thick grease which makes it hard to operate in cold weather so I’ll clean it up with carb cleaner and lube with thin oil. The Shakespeare on the left needs either a cleaning or a bail spring also. Then new line on all of them, have 1600 yards of 6# fluorocarbon on order.

B9DA67BC-395C-4BCA-ABE8-24221E60D36B.jpeg

Scrounged reels. All but the little black and gold one came from the free pile at the dump.
Nice!

Have I mentioned how much I enjoy "rescuing" stuff others have discarded? Nobody takes the time to figure out how stuff works - many times a little adjustment or maintenance and it's back in business!

Being known as an A**hat doesn’t seem to be much of a prize IMO . . .

Philbert
Pretty sure that was the joke lol.
Maybe some linkbucks too.
Whatever it takes.
I was in a live chat on YT last week, I said a few things the host didn't agree with, they said don't make me ban you, I unsubscribed and then said BAN ME :laughing:.

Nice!

Have I mentioned how much I enjoy "rescuing" stuff others have discarded? Nobody takes the time to figure out how stuff works - many times a little adjustment or maintenance and it's back in business!
Exactly.

Of the dump reels, I couldn’t figure out the bail on one and another needs a new handle. The rest are good to go. Got several decent rods with them too.

We frequently canoe fish and/or portage into small lakes that have “community” boats. This sort of fishing is tough on rods compared to a nice fishing boat with a rod locker. I usually run cheaper rods for these outings as **** happens even with experienced adults. It’s not like we frequently break rods but when it rains, it pours. One day my wife and I ended up breaking two rods and my son was in the other canoe and a fish pulled his overboard. I was happy to have spares. Ironically my son’s reel was one my dad had snagged while fishing years ago so it ended up going overboard at least twice lol. It’s on our #2 walleye fishing spot so it’s possible we may find it again.

Latest posts

Back