Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For you guys who live in the snow belt:

View attachment 879988

I pick these up all the time: they are the bristles from the tractor-mounted, rotary snow brooms that clean the sidewalks in the city. Clip them off at an angle with a pair of side-cutting pliers, and they make great tools for poking at and cleaning crud from the corners of chainsaw covers and cases, without scratching like metal tools do. Stiff, but don't break as easily as toothpicks or shish-kabob skewers. And they are free!

Philbert
You guys clean chainsaws.?..

So then you have a lifetime of cleaners in that handful of cleaning tools.
I do!
I have an ecclectic collection of cleaning tools that I keep next to the laundry tub, for many things, including chainsaws, bicyclee parts, garage sale tools, etc.:
- old tooth brushes
- a variety of fine wire brushes
- some nylon bristle, baby bottle 'nipple brushes' and small diameter bottle / tube brushes
- old dental style picks
- wood popsicle sticks cut or sanded to 45° point
- plastic putty knife
- coarse and fine ScotchBrite pads
- fine mesh strainers, small bowls, etc.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chainsaws-and-home-economics.220545/
Philbert

I do!
I have an ecclectic collection of cleaning tools that I keep next to the laundry tub, for many things, including chainsaws, bicyclee parts, garage sale tools, etc.:
- old tooth brushes
- a variety of fine wire brushes
- some nylon bristle, baby bottle 'nipple brushes' and small diameter bottle / tube brushes
- old dental style picks
- wood popsicle sticks cut or sanded to 45° point
- plastic putty knife
- coarse and fine ScotchBrite pads
- fine mesh strainers, small bowls, etc.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chainsaws-and-home-economics.220545/
Philbert

My chainsaw cleaning is using the screwdriver end on the chainsaw tool to pull buildup out from behind the bar clamp cover. I only did more extensive cleaning when I had to tear the saw down for repairs.

If it don't come off with compressed air, it becomes part of the saw's "patina"
Compressed air is one of my favorite cleaning tools! I use it (outside) along with my 'pok-e-man' tools!

One of my favorite scenes from the TV show 'Barney Miller' was when Detective Nick Yemana (Jack Soo) asks if the precinct got new coffee mugs. Detective Arthur P. Dietrich (Stephen Landesberg) explains that he just washed them. Yemana deadpans, "Oh, I thought that was the pattern . . . ."

Philbert

Jan 3 and out on the splitter, One trailer full of rounds split/stacked. Supply of rounds is getting low, maybe anothe 3/4 cord. I do one load a day, weather permitting. Looks like it will come to 7 - 8 cord cut and processed for last season. 44degree at noon IN JANUARY!!!. We haven't really had any normal winter weather yet. A couple snow falls that hung around a few days. Looks likt we are going into another open winter. Weird for this area.

If I have a running saw, I’ll plug the exhaust holes, and hit a grungy saw with that engine cleaner in a can. Then rinse with hot water hose and let it drip dry. Then use it so any residual moisture is cooked out.

Same for detached external pieces of a disassembled saw but I’ll dry them in the furnace room or sauna.

If I have a running saw, I’ll plug the exhaust holes, and hit a grungy saw with that engine cleaner in a can. Then rinse with hot water hose and let it drip dry. Then use it so any residual moisture is cooked out.

Same for detached external pieces of a disassembled saw but I’ll dry them in the furnace room or sauna.
No pressure washer lol.
I bought a 346 one time that had a leak on the bottom between the cases, pretty sure the gasket was blown inside by a pressure washer :rare2:. The great thing is the seller is a great guy and once I realized what was up he agreed to have it fixed as he couldn't do it at the time:cheers:.

Is that a dig at me? If so please let me know what I am doing that you feel is harmful to the saw.
Nope, just tying to keep anything I offer to sell at the top of the list! No offense intended!

I do get compulsive about cleaning stuff, and try to offer anything I sell as clean as reasonably possible ('pass through' items excluded) so that they look the best, and so the buyer can see what they are getting.

What do you have to sell.
Nothing posted right now. But I am trying to go through stuff that I really don't use, so that I can get to the stuff I need / want.

Philbert

Nope, just tying to keep anything I offer to sell at the top of the list! No offense intended!

I do get compulsive about cleaning stuff, and try to offer anything I sell as clean as reasonably possible ('pass through' items excluded) so that they look the best, and so the buyer can see what they are getting.

Nothing posted right now. But I am trying to go through stuff that I really don't use, so that I can get to the stuff I need / want.

Philbert
If you run across a Homelite 7-29 give me a ring. But, if Steve has a dirty one first, I'll buy his.

Jan 3 and out on the splitter, One trailer full of rounds split/stacked. Supply of rounds is getting low, maybe anothe 3/4 cord. I do one load a day, weather permitting. Looks like it will come to 7 - 8 cord cut and processed for last season. 44degree at noon IN JANUARY!!!. We haven't really had any normal winter weather yet. A couple snow falls that hung around a few days. Looks likt we are going into another open winter. Weird for this area.

Jan 5. Saw doc yesterday. Legs swollen drastically. I've been wearing compression socks that don't seem to do anything, legs still swollen when I take them off nights.; He uped my Lasix (pee pill) doseage to 20mg 2x day.
Appointment for lube/'oil on car this morning 9am. Clear sky, slight breeze looked like more split/pile when back...Nope, legs so painful I couldn't bear to walk to the tractor - that usually clears it up IF I can get that far. Sitting around the house for the rest of the day doing nothing I guess.

Latest posts

Back