Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You install a wood stove in that thar cabin Mustang?
Sotz kit on a 55 gal drum, will eat large pieces wood and hold lots of wood. Really puts out some heat also.

We also use an inverted RR tie as a warming plate for the coffee pot. We leave it on there all night and we have hot water in the morning for oatmeal/coffee/hot chocolate. Helps us get out of the cabin and into our stands before daylight!

Attachments

• IMG_20200902_085118113.jpg
    IMG_20200902_085118113.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
The stove had no problems heating the cabin (20 X 24 - 2 stories) till it gets to 10° F and windy, then it has trouble keeping up.

We have a temperature-controlled air intake on it, but setting the damper gets a bit tricky. If it is very windy you have to close it down, but if the wind stops, you will have almost a full load of wood in the morning and not much heat. Leave it open too much and it will blow you out and burn the wood in 4-5 hours.

The insulation (on the 2nd floor only) is our "stay warm" insurance.

Is this a volunteer situation or are you employed by the non profit ? I've been on the trail from hopewell up to Highland. Was a pain when you had to traverse on some of the roads to get to the connecting trails
As I understand it, with the Empire State Trail running from NYC north there are relatively few road segments left between Walkway Over the Hudson and NYC... but they can be annoying. There are a few near New Paltz and Kingston on the west side of the Hudson but the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail will get you from New Paltz to Kingston.

Those trees I cut yesterday were on the WVRT just north of Rosendale. You can be assured that when I'm driving down the trail and felling trees I watch out for cyclists and walkers. 😉

There are road segments north of the Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge on the east side of the Hudson. I rode them on my 1,200 mile bicycle trip last summer. It was probably the hottest day of the year... It was not a pleasant ride but I knew I'd be back on trail north of Hudson.

I always keep my worn out chains for saw'n beach logs or mud caked logs.👎
Mine get thrown on my "toolbox" saws that rattle around in the toolboxes of my pickups...it's not uncommon here to have to cut a tree out of the road here. The current beater 105dl chain on one of my 044s is egregiously bad. It'll probably shed some teeth if I dog it into something like oak, but I'm going to get my money's worth out of it! :laugh:

Sotz kit on a 55 gal drum, will eat large pieces wood and hold lots of wood. Really puts out some heat also.

We also use an inverted RR tie as a warming plate for the coffee pot. We leave it on there all night and we have hot water in the morning for oatmeal/coffee/hot chocolate. Helps us get out of the cabin and into our stands before daylight!
Beautiful! Just beautiful!👍 A lot if those set ups up here in AK. A sour dough hermit I knew ran one of those in his Cabin here on the Island for fifty plus years! Being as he lived in the cabin for fifty plus years years after WW2 and always had a fire going 24-7 summer or winter. He burned through a few barrels in his day! However, he didn't use fire brick in them either though. He favored the old military drums because they were much heavier gage metal than today's standard drum. He said. "Eight years out of an ol military drum and three years out of a newer modern drum is standard boy!"

Your right! They do hold a good volume of wood and put out the heat!👍

Careful guys we don't want the scrounging firewood stuff to get out of proportion to the other stuff. :omg:
Well, here's a pict. of next summer's scrounging rig,

spreaded.jpg

Does that help any?

SR

Mine get thrown on my "toolbox" saws that rattle around in the toolboxes of my pickups...it's not uncommon here to have to cut a tree out of the road here. The current beater 105dl chain on one of my 044s is egregiously bad. It'll probably shed some teeth if I dog it into something like oak, but I'm going to get my money's worth out of it! :laugh:
Same here. I always have a saw in my rig when I truck to town. I love it when Im clearing a top or trunk out of the road from a wind storm while Im on my way to town and someone pulls up and just watches until I've got the road cleared. "Yeah thanks buddy!" It doesn't always happen. Most of the time if someone comes along. They'll drag limbs to help clear the road or something, but sometimes they'll just sit in their rig and watch! 🤔 Must be the 90cc they're afraid of? 🤷 Heck I don't know?

I just got back from being up at the cabin yesterday afternoon and today, so I'm a bit behind on reading the posts.

My friend Harold and I finished insulating the second-floor ceiling and walls. Was a lot of work!

Had to modify the table saw to cut wider, had to scaffold over the upstairs opening, and we did lots of work out in the snow.

Was 16° F Thurs night, but that insulation (2" R-13) makes a big difference!
Looks GREAT

Woke up to chickens making sounds that weren't normal, more like an alarm. Grabbed the Ruger 10/22 and got out there quick. Saw a fox near the coop and I fired 5 or six shots and got it. I let the dog out to take care of it and he was happy. I put on the "GI" style sights last year so I was on target almost instantly I had a scope but it wasn't always quick to be on target.

Back