Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2100 Sweet 👍

I don't know why they don't put turbo gassers in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. That little 3.5 EcoBoost tows awesome in the half ton. Torque is all in way low so you don't need to rev it high it just lugs like a mini diesel. I think there's a market for it. Unless you're hot shotting freight all over creation or yanking a backhoe around, it's hard to justify the diesel engine. Imagine your favorite small V8 be it coyote or 5.3 ls, Hemi,etc, with a turbo. Most of these engines make 400 hp or so. Wouldn't take a pile of boost to make a 5-550hp engine with gobs of torque at low rpms, while turning in decent mileage when not under load.
Don't need to mess with turbos ... I know a guy with a Whipple Intercooled SC on his Mustang that's pushing 550 Hp and has torque like an old fashion built big block!

Let's talk raker height on chains. Tell me what you guys would run for these saws using full chisel chains? 550XP, 372XP, 395XP. TIA

I've got 2 of those saws, but both of mine are ported...makes a bit of difference. On my 550, I run .025"...it's running a 20" bar of full comp 3/8, so I don't want to go too agro. On my 372, depending on the chain....025-.030". The closest saw I have to a 395 is my 066...I'm running .030 on my 114dl chain and that's with an 8 pin sprocket too. It's got plenty of power for that, but with the 36" bar, chip clearance becomes an issue.

Since there are so many of you Husky guys, I'll share my latest acquisition...also to prove that I'm not a total Stihl fanboy(even if they have the best new saws lol.)

Took in part trade, a 365 special. It was a half wrap, but I immediately threw on the new full wrap that someone gave me awhile back. Not sure what exactly I'll do with it. Hopping it up is definitely on the agenda...just not sure if it will do it with its current top end or if it will become a 372.

Any of you Husky guys have a preference between high and low tops? Never ran a low top, but I've had my high top for years now.

IMG_20230317_191521072.jpg

Next to my trusty OE-d 76cc formerly XT 372xp-w:
IMG_20230317_191601280_HDR.jpg

I know from my own experience that when cutting a 30 - 36 inch Oak or Ash tree using my 372XPOE saw with a 24 inch bar versus a 395XP with a 36 inch bar using the same type full chisel chain that there is a complete world of difference between the two saws. I'll take the 395XP over the 372XP any day. I don't have a saw between these two in size. That 395XP that I use sometimes is moving on. That is why I bought the 394XP yesterday.
I'm sure there's a big difference, I wouldn't run a 36 on a 372 for the most part; but if I had to it wouldn't be for long.
Now, about those rakers, where do you set them at when running a 36 on a 372 😆.
As Mike was saying, I don't set them at a specific height, but rather for the saw I'm running and the job it's doing. I also do not set them with a fixed gauge such as .025, but with a progressive style. And if the saw isn't cutting as fast as I want I'll take a couple strokes off the rakers, if its grabby/chattering or won't bore cut, I'll file the cutters a few strokes.
Usually I can look at someone's chain and mine as well (after they've/I've been using it) and see if the rakers are to high, they will be shiny. Just give them a couple swipes and they are good to go.
Each saw(both power and rim size), species of wood, specific job you're doing, how you file the cutters, and your personal cutting style, all will be determining factors in how the rakers will be set.

That pole is held in place by a strap to a tree.

View attachment 1067179

That looks like some typical PG&E crap right there...but a linemen I am not, so I can't be too critical. The service drop coming to my house is affixed to trees, no poles. They came out and surveyed it for poles when I bought the place a few years ago, but no action yet. One of the trees is a ponderosa that's been dead from the beetle for a year now, they've been aware for this whole time, yet still no action.

A guy did come out to inspect it when it first happened. There were other pines within 20-30' of the line that I could tell had beetle intrusion. The needles were still green at that point, so the survey guy thought I was full of ****.

I’ve got an Irish last name

Same, but I don’t know Irish percentage. My sister did one, it said 83% English and Irish Isles. It didn’t separate them. All except 9% was Northwest Europe, that 9% was Eastern Europe. My Dad’s mom had a Polish surname.

That looks like some typical PG&E crap right there...

The girl that posted it was being lectured that she should have reported it instead of posting on the internet. She said there was a PG&E truck stopped there with the driver staring at it, why do I need to report it?

Just about a gallon . Had about a half pint left in the pot and just poured it into the opened jar in the fridge . I’m done even though I have about 45 gallons of sap left to boil . I’m going to give it to my neighbor and let him use it for his production View attachment 1067114
i was looking for a measuring cup day before up at ranch in pantry. i saw two old grill n spray cans. behind it was my old bottle of maple syrup. has to be about 25 years old or so. just never thru it out. also still have my gallon tin of Ranch Beans... and it is... over 25 years old! been saving it, thinking i mite put a 308 round thru it just for grins...

1679115568670.png

Same, but I don’t know Irish percentage. My sister did one, it said 83% English and Irish Isles. It didn’t separate them. All except 9% was Northwest Europe, that 9% was Eastern Europe. My Dad’s mom had a Polish surname.
None of us in our family have ever done the DNA test...my Grandmother has always said that if we do the test, the authorities will use it to uncover the serial killers in our family.:laugh: I'm a pretty strange dude, but some of my family is wayyy out there.

Just from what I know about my lineage, mostly Irish, followed by German. A smattering of English and Polish.

Average 40:1 depending on the % of sugar content. I’ve had 25:1 at times I haven’t checked the last batch of sap but it was averaging 3.% so he may get a little over a gallon

But he does on average 500 gallons of syrup he sells it
i'd mention little black sambo syrup dispensers, but these days prob good enuff for a Ban Camp... free 10 day time out trial... ;)

1679116066364.png

Latest posts

Back