Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)​

i met a guy other day. he was starting a job to clean up house curb view and then later on, soon... do some remodeling. occupant had passed a couple of months ago. daughter wanted to clean the place up. i introduced him to my neighbor, elderly lady needing some light tree work done, fence and around her pool. with my help, we negotiated a sweet deal for her. 1/3 or so of first quote. i passed by the empty house yesterday. some wire coiled up on garage door handle. i stopped bike ride to take a look-see. hmm, 1/8th, maybe 3/16ths... cable wire. with terminations both ends and U clamps. and plenty long. so i called the guy and inquired. yes, u can have it. a nice scrounge for a project i had been thinking some wire cable would do nice on! i plan to stake it out, measure it as i need same for other side, too. a good scrounge and included some other stuff

well, u get the idea. maybe 25' or so
View attachment 1102201
3/8" and under wire rope only needs 2 clamps for a std eye to be put in. We normally have crimp clamps for 1/4" and under. Way more streamline then the clamps.

Thursday night my wife,and I are watching a movie. All of a sudden we hear a loud thud. My wife says, I think somebody hit our stone wall again. We open window and see cars stopping in both directions. I figured somebody hit a deer. I run out to see what is going on. This tree had fallen across the entire road blocking traffic in both directions. I cranked up my tractor and pushed it out of the road. The tree was a hollow Ash. The roots rotted out and it let go. We were going to take this down in the Fall. I'm glad nobody got hit by that tree. I just measured the base of the tree. It is 30" wide 12" up from the top of the roots. My tractor which will lift 2400 pounds couldn't lift it. The bottom is not hollow like the top.

Attachments

• 20230804_063013.jpg
    20230804_063013.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230804_063030.jpg
    20230804_063030.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230804_063050.jpg
    20230804_063050.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230804_063108.jpg
    20230804_063108.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230805_101420.jpg
    20230805_101420.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230805_101438.jpg
    20230805_101438.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
My neighbor called me one morning, and asked me if I wanted to buy an anvil, he said "I need some money and I want 10 dollars for it, come over and look at it". He kept insisting that I come look at it and as I liked the guy, I said OK.

Anyway, when I got there, this is what he had,

Resized-20230803-111746-S.jpg

It sure isn't an anvil, but he needed some money for something, and it was only 10 dollars, so I brought it home. I guess the Crapsman vise on it is worth that much, as it works fine,

Resized-20230803-111753-S.jpg

SR

Good morning guys.

Yesterday was an emotional day, but in a good way.

23 years ago, I sold my dad’s fishing boat shortly after his passing as I didn’t use it and wanted a different type of fishing boat. I always regretted it after a few years. I knew the fellow that I sold it to, and had mentioned to him several times if he’d ever be interested in selling, I’d be interested in buying. He never answered me.

Yesterday he sent me a message and said that if I want the boat I could have it back.

The main motor needs some work and the lights need to be rewired. Otherwise, it’s virtually as it was when I sold it.
IMG_1066.jpeg

My neighbor called me one morning, and asked me if I wanted to buy an anvil, he said "I need some money and I want 10 dollars for it, come over and look at it". He kept insisting that I come look at it and as I liked the guy, I said OK.

Anyway, when I got there, this is what he had,

Resized-20230803-111746-S.jpg

It sure isn't an anvil, but he needed some money for something, and it was only 10 dollars, so I brought it home. I guess the Crapsman vise on it is worth that much, as it works fine,

Resized-20230803-111753-S.jpg

SR
You know you could clean that vise up, paint it and get a helluva lot more than $10 for it. That was a steal and you did a good deed for the guy.

Was sitting on a tree bank, had been there long enough the grass under it was dead.
KIMG4317.JPGKIMG4320.JPG
Changed crankcase oil, set the valves, washed the air filter, added gas, untangled the trimmer line spool, set the idle, and trimmed my 2 acre lot with it. Poulan S430 with a quick change shaft for saw blade and rototiller (didn't have those). Currently selling for $300 at home dumpoff.
Looks like it's hardly been used.

Was sitting on a tree bank, had been there long enough the grass under it was dead.
View attachment 1102449View attachment 1102450
Changed crankcase oil, set the valves, washed the air filter, added gas, untangled the trimmer line spool, set the idle, and trimmed my 2 acre lot with it. Poulan S430 with a quick change shaft for saw blade and rototiller (didn't have those). Currently selling for $300 at home dumpoff.
Looks like it's hardly been used.

Do you think someone couldn't get it started and threw it there in disgust? Or put it down and then forgot where they left it?

Do you think someone couldn't get it started and threw it there in disgust? Or put it down and then forgot where they left it?
Nicer small town neighborhood, 1/4 acre lots, out at the curb, Thought mebby they bought a replacement battery trimmer and city wouldn't take this with the trash pick up, but don't really know.

Scrounge alert: just received a text from my new best friend's best friend saying that he cut up some of the large chunks into manageable sizes and had a couple more loads available. I'll try to get that and update later this week. This scrounge alert was brought to you by Craigslist. Now loaded with the same scams as FB Marketplace, but without having to pretend that you know and like people. :numberone:

Scrounge alert: just received a text from my new best friend's best friend saying that he cut up some of the large chunks into manageable sizes and had a couple more loads available. I'll try to get that and update later this week. This scrounge alert was brought to you by Craigslist. Now loaded with the same scams as FB Marketplace, but without having to pretend that you know and like people. :numberone:
Better ready ol faithful hr!!!

Today was wood scrounging day, and a guy a couple miles from here cut some tree's down for his grandma and piled much of it up. He told my buddy we could have it, just come get it so today we did.

I would drive into the pile with my pallet forks and grapple a load,

Resized-20230805-113600-S.jpg

Then drive over to my wagon and dump it in. My buddy and his son stacked it in the best they could while I went for another load. I even got three saw logs that were there, they aren't great, but they were FREE,

Resized-20230805-123713-S.jpg

I think we did pretty good!

Resized-20230805-123649-S.jpg

That was one heavy SOB to pull home!!

SR

You guys are crazy! Way too hot to cut wood right now.

I rewired my snowmobile trailer and converted my remaining two 1 7/8 inch trailers to 2 inch so everything I own fits the same ball. Also tried to put a new ignition module in my Ford but the stupid Ford engineers decided you need a special tool to put the tiny bolt in as a regular socket is too shallow or too thick.

Latest posts

Back