Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighbor called me one morning, and asked me if I wanted to buy an anvil, he said "I need some money and I want 10 dollars for it, come over and look at it". He kept insisting that I come look at it and as I liked the guy, I said OK.

Anyway, when I got there, this is what he had,

Resized-20230803-111746-S.jpg

It sure isn't an anvil, but he needed some money for something, and it was only 10 dollars, so I brought it home. I guess the Crapsman vise on it is worth that much, as it works fine,

Resized-20230803-111753-S.jpg

SR
mite not be a 400# anvil, but i would call it an anvil! nice buy @ 10

I told the guy I'm mowing for, "you really need full-time grounds keeper up here", HE thinks about it for a moment and then says "ok, I promote you to Grounds Keeper, what time will you be here tomorrow". lol lol

SR
fixed it for you! ~ congrats on the Big promotion... 👍

Do you think someone couldn't get it started and threw it there in disgust? Or put it down and then forgot where they left it?
i was going down a rural road today and the FM easement at someone's place was looking good. long. no one, nor no equip around! but by a tree and nice large fuel can. out in middle nowhere... i took serious note... but kept on going

couldn't get the AS site to work right this morning. seems to be back it its old self. it was totally 🙃

View attachment 1102590
You reminded me of a person that used to work for me. I allow a manageable level of horseplay within my crew as it is good for moral. I sometimes even partake in the festivities. This employee thought it was funny to take advantage of my lack of computer skills and did something to my computer that made everything on the screen upside down. The laughs were short live tho as I just simply picked the entire monitor up , flipped it over, leaned it against the printer and kept working. That really stole their thunder! I told them to get up earlier next time!

Thursday night my wife,and I are watching a movie. All of a sudden we hear a loud thud. My wife says, I think somebody hit our stone wall again. We open window and see cars stopping in both directions. I figured somebody hit a deer. I run out to see what is going on. This tree had fallen across the entire road blocking traffic in both directions. I cranked up my tractor and pushed it out of the road. The tree was a hollow Ash. The roots rotted out and it let go. We were going to take this down in the Fall. I'm glad nobody got hit by that tree. I just measured the base of the tree. It is 30" wide 12" up from the top of the roots. My tractor which will lift 2400 pounds couldn't lift it. The bottom is not hollow like the top.
I was thinking of this/you yesterday. On the way home from slaying trees I saw ahead a couple construction cones on the shoulder, looked and a large oak had lost a 30"+ branch, the county must have just pushed it out of the lane until later.
Scrounge alert: just received a text from my new best friend's best friend saying that he cut up some of the large chunks into manageable sizes and had a couple more loads available. I'll try to get that and update later this week. This scrounge alert was brought to you by Craigslist. Now loaded with the same scams as FB Marketplace, but without having to pretend that you know and like people. :numberone:
We could have been best friends yesterday if you were a bit closer lol. Sent this guy packing with two loads like this.
So far I've loaded up 2 nice sized loads and 2 larger, for 4 days cutting, and much of the smaller, catalpa, and the 3 large blue spruce went on the to be burnt pile. Next stump grinding!
20230805_120347.jpg

Does anybody else have a lot of wasps/hornets this year? I’ve had more big nests than I’ve ever had.

Also, the raid brand hornet killer is no longer any good! Usually if you give it a good soaking everything inside dies and not so anymore. The one nest I had to spray twice and another three times, and I even knocked it down the second time and some residual wasps rebuilt it. I changed over to a foaming brand of spray, and that stuff really knocks them down.

The one under the corrugated metal took three attempts, and the one under the brown shed took two.
IMG_9395.jpegIMG_9394.jpegIMG_0422.jpegIMG_0425.jpegIMG_0482.jpegIMG_0968.jpegIMG_0969.jpegIMG_1062.jpeg

Does anybody else have a lot of wasps/hornets this year? I’ve had more big nests than I’ve ever had.

Also, the raid brand hornet killer is no longer any good! Usually if you give it a good soaking everything inside dies and not so anymore. The one nest I had to spray twice and another three times, and I even knocked it down the second time and some residual wasps rebuilt it. I changed over to a foaming brand of spray, and that stuff really knocks them down.

The one under the corrugated metal took three attempts, and the one under the brown shed took two.
View attachment 1102640View attachment 1102641View attachment 1102642View attachment 1102643View attachment 1102644View attachment 1102645View attachment 1102646View attachment 1102647
Them bald faced hornets are nasty buggers.
I was moving the 24 gallon propane tanks and warned the boy to watch for wasp under the caps, reached down to grab the bottom after, and wham, got hit twice by ground bees. Then then later that day I got hit by another one, arrrg.

No hornets nests, but I did find two ground bees nests this year. Found one the hard way, and the other would have been the hard way without boots, jeans, and gloves as I had to swat several off my feet and legs. One small dusting of ground bee powder (permethrin) at the entrance overnight took care of them both times.

The ironic thing is, I’ve come across no ground nests yet… Knock on wood. They are usually more prevalent. Or the black jackets that build their nests low to the ground in thick vegetation.

These have been a combination of the big black and white ones and the regular yellow and black ones. The big black and white ones are usually more docile but at the same point hit you like a flaming pickax when they’re mad. My son got his several times by them when he mowed near the brown shed.

it is really hot down here. hottest day other day, matched record last set in... 1964! :surprised3:

but not affecting my scrounging too much... yesterday we saw a tash pile on curb on way home... and just to 😋 the QB... i said, Scrounge!, slowed down... no, no!!, she said... i want to go home... slowed down... like crawl... and started calling out... targets of opportunity! lol... carpet, hmm some wood hmmm, old chest.... 🤩 then drove off and commented.... just kidding! :laugh: :lol:

but this heat is no joke! affecting my garden, too...
zzzzxhg.jpg

not sure what the day holds for me. up at ranch yesterday. big day, got some important stuff done. :) had a crew... D, SIL, g/k's... endured the heat, then off to big bbq dinner at our fav stop-in on way home. that all went well! plenty ribs for today. 😋 never a shortage of work to do up there. always a long list of agenda items. and down here in big city, too. i always plan for a busy day of accomplishment... even if some don't! 😋

zzzzxfi.JPG

View attachment 1102640View attachment 1102641View attachment 1102642View attachment 1102643View attachment 1102644View attachment 1102645View attachment 1102646View attachment 1102647
We usually have lots of paper wasps and mud daubers but I usually don't notice the nests til after the leaves drop in the fall. They don't bother us I don't bother them. Ground bees are the only ones I usually do battle with when their nest is near where we travel.

Do you think someone couldn't get it started and threw it there in disgust? Or put it down and then forgot where they left it?
Was Bicycling by there today and cars were in the driveway, you made me feel guilty so I stopped and asked.
"Was given to us, my boyfriend got disgusted trying to fix it and tossed it out there, bought a battery trimmer.
Glad you could fix and use it!"

Not any this year so far. Always on the lookout though. Hate yellow jackets with a passion as I got stung over a100 times when I was a kid. Got 1 nest so far that the bastiges were trying to start in my shop wall where a piece of mortar fell out. That hornet spray won't always kill the eggs in a nest so I burn them if not in a building.

Latest posts

Back