Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...lucky my man you didn't get hurt. Seen it happen a couple of times over all the years...one ended up with a broken collarbone, the other with a busted up head. Knock on some wood if you haven't already.
I fully expected it to be coming back on me momentarily. Would have been calling my emt buddy from down the lake.

Ha!

Rarely will you see two saws of this size up in Minnesota softwood country!!

View attachment 477296

Helped you out a bit. ;)

Let alone a modded saw......and forget about a big boy modded saw.

I still deal with Dol-what? or What the heck do you need a 394 for and why do you run race gas in your saws? Yep....Awesome.

Looks like you guys had a good time and got after it.

Glad the wheeler mishap stayed like that.:cheers:

Th
Almost forgot the dumb ass stunt I pulled this evening.

I normally never use these ramps as I know what happens. But I had to haul the wheeler and the trailer was already in use.

I'm still not sure how it didn't end up on top of me. Divine intervention at minimum.

View attachment 477294
Thats what 4X4 is for. Never happened to me, Except when the board breaks, but the U shaped tailgate makes it interesting.

Th

Thats what 4X4 is for. Never happened to me, Except when the board breaks, but the U shaped tailgate makes it interesting.
I had it happen 2 weeks ago loading my splitter onto the trailer. I need to convert the splitter to hydro drive, tie it into the quad throttle and synchronize it:lol:.
Looks like a lot of work svk.
You said softwood country, was that tree soft or hard.
Got my little load of Locust split up with the Fiskars yesterday. The pile for three seasons from now is a little bigger, and flowing over to year 4:clap:.20160108_162719.jpg20160108_162630.jpg

Well I found the replacement blade for the Fiskars saw today at Home Depot.

This is how the teeth were styled on that old Oregon folding saw I had.

Problem is.......it's for a pruning saw. I take that to mean a pole saw...since the model numbers didn't match the folding saws there.

Oooooooh....I was ticked. First time in over 20 years I've seen a similar blade to the Oregon's.....and it's not for a folding saw.

5E3D2D4F-C586-425D-8A02-AFA9222BA36F_zpswgyv2mid.gif

This is how the teeth were styled on that old Oregon folding saw I had.
That's what I thought you were referring to. I recall the 'Woodzig' name, but some searches are showing Fiskars instead of Oregon.
"OREGON® has not manufactured Woodzig® products for more than 10 years. Thus, Woodzig® parts are no longer available from OREGON®, Blount Inc."

It was basically a chainsaw type tooth on a pruning saw blade. As I recall, it was also sharpened with a round chainsaw file. Might have been a few different variations, as I see some chains and powered pruners with the same name. Some stuff still on eBay if you are looking for a replacement blade.

Philbert
Screen shot 2016-01-09 at 12.23.52 PM.png

That's what I thought you were referring to. I recall the 'Woodzig' name, but some searches are showing Fiskars instead of Oregon.
"OREGON® has not manufactured Woodzig® products for more than 10 years. Thus, Woodzig® parts are no longer available from OREGON®, Blount Inc."

It was basically a chainsaw type tooth on a pruning saw blade. As I recall, it was also sharpened with a round chainsaw file. Might have been a few different variations, as I see some chains and powered pruners with the same name. Some stuff still on eBay if you are looking for a replacement blade.

Philbert
View attachment 477430

Thanks Philbert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew I could count on you!!!!!!!!!!!

The regular "Sierra Saws" cannot hold a candle to that. The package that you pictured describes why. The binding, there was none.

I have never tried a Silky so I can't comment on that.

I'm off to Flea Bay.

Philbert
View attachment 477430

Hmm, a hand saw with chainsaw teeth..sounds slick really. Narrow kerf small pitch, ability to rotate it around the bar to expose sharp teeth, replaceable chain.. hmmm..add a handle to a bar, figure out how to lock it in place.

Hmm, a hand saw with chainsaw teeth..sounds slick really. Narrow kerf small pitch, ability to rotate it around the bar to expose sharp teeth, replaceable chain.. hmmm..add a handle to a bar, figure out how to lock it in place.

Like this Zog?

It came up on my e bay search for woodzig. I have no idea what the saw looks like.

Hopefully philbert will chime in with his knowledge .

And there is a saw like my old one but larger. The called it an antique. Pfffft

I have my eye on something else though that I will be sure to post up if I win.

It's called a 'pole pruner' Zog. Works just like that if you don't start the engine!

Philbert

Old guy retires and has more time at home with the wife.
As the wife gets into her usual chores she says .... "you've got more time now so how about helping out some more around home"?
Retired guy: .... "sure darling, I'll help you more now"
Wife: "how about starting with the vacuuming, my back is killing me after doing it all these years and I have to go shopping"
guy says: "ok dear."

wife returns home some time later and sees the floors still haven't been vacuumed
wife starts in on him: "you're no help, you haven't even made the time to get the floors vacuumed yet"?!!!
Retired guy "don't blame me, the damn vacuum is broke .... it won't start"!

In case you guys hadn't heard, I retired from moderating this site today.

Celebrated by picking up 8 new felling wedges from northern tool.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. I must say tho, you are the only one I have noticed to not let go to your head. Stayed even keeled like before you became all powerful svk.

Hey guys this is completely totally sideways, but because we are all outdoors enthusiasts/workers, etc..a good bunch to ask.

OK, this has been bugging the crap outta me since last summer. I can't explain it other than woo-woo-weird or I am going nuts (<-distinct possibility, ha!). Background, been in the same place for over 12 years now, my puter table and chair, the same place. I sit next to a window, faces almost due north. This summer for the first time, I got direct morning sunlight coming in. NEVER happened before. No trees cleared in that direction, nothing else has changed. And also..all the trees...they are all "off" just a little, just don't look right to me. Not necessarily sickly, just ..odd..wrong somehow, growing weird, starting to be more twisted, especially the ones I remember as being real straight.

Anyone else have anything like this that changed the past year, anything you noticed that made you go hmmmm??? There's more, but that's enough for now.

Back