Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heartwood?image.jpeg It was a vintage saw kind of day, the pioneer is actually not a bad saw to run. The homelite never fails to impress me with its torque. For someone who only cuts 3-5 facecord a year, this would still be a viable saw. I enjoyed fooling with the old iron and made the to be split pile significantly bigger. Although next time I wander down there, I will probably take the 365 and just get er done. image.jpeg

Spent most of the day putting up the ceiling in my hunting cabin. This was originally a roof over a trailer house which has since been turned into a cabin hence the lack of regular trusses.

View attachment 503173

At around 3:30 we headed out to finish up this Norway pine I've been working at for two years. This tree has been a heck of a lot of work and now that I'm ahead on wood I'd never take on a tree like this again. 25" at the widest part above the root flange. I processed the lower half last spring noodling with the 550.
View attachment 503174 View attachment 503175 View attachment 503176

Sometimes I second guess owning the 2186 because it's too big for most of my cutting. On days like this I have no regrets. With the 28" bar and semi chisel you actually have to hold it back when noodling.

View attachment 503177

I hear ya. My MS460 gets the least usage but when I need it, it sure speeds up the work so I'll have a saw that size from here on out. We tend to spoil ourselves that way. If we were real men we would do it all with an axe and misery whip. LOL

Went out again today and got another load .

IMG_20160515_115743.jpg

3xFqSS8ydr7ADY0QOkR-PLFCOTGggt7xDzPjtLkAS4voHYn3T9kfc1b6QcyznjuwYGSPTwlnUA=w1357-h805-no

The property owner was impressed with the tractor and trailer .
I gave that load away to the fella that I gave a load of pine to .
He couldn't get his Poulan started and he had some pine that was too knotty to split by hand .

IMG_20160515_141939.jpg

Pioneerguy600 dropped off a small load of red pine this afternoon , all split and ready to rack :)

IMG_20160515_135714.jpg

I don't recommend a 33cc poulan for noodling LOL

Don't those mauls fight when you put them that close to each other? Interesting how similar the profile is of all 3. Kind of a winning design I'm saying. Where is the Husky? SVK is going to have a talk with you. LOL

Hi guys I am still around. Not much scrounging for me. I still haven't processed my huge pile of wood out back. I have been too busy with yard work, turkey hunting and scrounging up reasons to go trout fishing. I just found out last week that they stock the stream 2 minutes from my house 3 times this year. I never bothered to fish it in the past. I have been down there twice since last Friday. I am looking for more excuses to go this week.

Also got a new toy to help with the insects and fungi attacking my fruits and berries.
779a3e2af7136a65eade93b830994ad8.jpg

Trout picture

38313ddf5fdb9b1bac2ebcde8d0bd0f9.jpg

Still burning, temps dropped into the low 40'sF. Mostly pine, spruce, and ugly maple, kinda cleaning up the junk wood. A BTU is a BTU.
I must be getting lazy, the work is piling up faster than I can get it done.
Bought a MAXX chain grinder from Bailey's, 100 bux off list. Opened the box to check for damage, looks OK. Haven't got it mounted as yet
but I do have a 105 DL skip chain that I rocked to clean up. Just don't need it yet. I do like to hand file.
Flat tire on the splitter, think its dirt under the bead, another job to do.
Couple cord of maple, sugar and Norway, ash, and popple and that mountain of spruce and pine yet to split and stack.
All the saws are running good except that Stihl 290/390 that is giving me big ones. If you ever do a short block conversion on a 290, pop off the bearing cap and reseal it yourself. don't trust them Chinese Do it yourself and do it right.
As far as gardening, I'm gonnan fill a couple tires with dirt, stick in some 'matters and hope for the best. Sometimes the Farm Market is the better deal.

CUL, burning daylight.

Picked up a nice Husky 128C string trimmer today. Finally got tired of working on the several cheapie Homelites, some of which are getting close to 20 years old now. This thing really cuts and the head is super easy to respool. Burned through the string they provided quickly and went up to the .095 string which lasts a lot longer.

Forgot to get a picture!

Picked up a nice Husky 128C string trimmer today. Finally got tired of working on the several cheapie Homelites, some of which are getting close to 20 years old now. This thing really cuts and the head is super easy to respool. Burned through the string they provided quickly and went up to the .095 string which lasts a lot longer. Forgot to get a picture!

I have been running one size smaller in my .095 sized Echo trimmer... WOW! like running with low gears... with so much power, only need much less now... slices like hot knife thru warm butter...

Wood Nazi, auction sale coming up end of the month. About 15 old saws. I buy abit of stuff there and have decent luck.
http://www.theauctionadvertiser.com/cgi-bin/nslsearcx.pl?s1=20160528

man! I would go nuts in that place!! :dizzy: lot of cool stuff in there. I sure like that double decker green steel yard kart... great lil tow tog firewood hauler... but sadly, some of it echos... end of the line for some; estate sale stuff! good link... now to just git there... lol

today's scrounge hardly warrants a mention in a place like this... although it meets all the criteria! oak fire wood, free, ez acess, cutable, stackable... and not even needing to be split... so with some sense of trepidation... lol.... "ta-dah!" today's scrounge!! :)

free oak with all the right colors...
P1010001.JPG

top to bottom:

orangey stuff fell from my tall pines
barkless floated down from up stream (street)
other: oak just sitting on curb...

just some 'gimmies'' for a camp fire... perfect in all respects for such use.
prob will cut the longer pcs shorter... once dried.

FREE workx for me...

Call some other tree companies from just outside you area and let them know you have a spot to dump.
It's cheaper for them to dump close to where they are working than to drive to their spots in the area's they normally work or even to take it back to the shop.
When you call ask if the sell firewood, if they don't they will be more likely to drop some for you.
Just know this, when it comes it will be raining down more wood that you will be able to handle and you better have a large saw to take care of it all.
Also take care of the driver as he will have some say in what happens and many times is one of the partners or is the boss.

Still haven't been able to mess with the Echo yet so the biggest saw I have running is the Makita. I think I'll sell my Poulan and buy a BBK.

man! I would go nuts in that place!! :dizzy: lot of cool stuff in there. I sure like that double decker green steel yard kart... great lil tow tog firewood hauler... but sadly, some of it echos... end of the line for some; estate sale stuff! good link... now to just git there... lol
Don't forget to stop by on your way through to the auction, I'm about 15 min out of route. I'll start a big fire for you since your a Texan and bigger is better there, and I know you like fires:blob2:.
This was the one we had yesterday. The kids are headed out there to stoke it back up right now, the joys of living in the country.
Guess they were successful.
Hopefully no one calls child protective services on me since the kids are out "playing with fire":crazy2:.20160516_191703.jpg1463497476288.jpg

today's scrounge hardly warrants a mention in a place like this... although it meets all the criteria! oak fire wood, free, ez acess, cutable, stackable... and not even needing to be split... so with some sense of trepidation... lol.... "ta-dah!" today's scrounge!! :)

free oak with all the right colors...
View attachment 503497

top to bottom:

orangey stuff fell from my tall pines
barkless floated down from up stream (street)
other: oak just sitting on curb...

just some 'gimmies'' for a camp fire... perfect in all respects for such use.
prob will cut the longer pcs shorter... once dried.

FREE workx for me...
That looks just like what my buddy was throwing in the fire.
But bring it on over when you swing through.
We have a saying here at our house,"if you want to warm yourself by the fire bring a stick", I would add to that and say or 2, or a truck load :laugh:.

Heartwood?View attachment 503302 It was a vintage saw kind of day, the pioneer is actually not a bad saw to run. The homelite never fails to impress me with its torque. For someone who only cuts 3-5 facecord a year, this would still be a viable saw. I enjoyed fooling with the old iron and made the to be split pile significantly bigger. Although next time I wander down there, I will probably take the 365 and just get er done. View attachment 503303
Looks great Nazi.
Sometimes it's fun to pick up some of the "old iron" and have a good time. The great thing about having saws as a hobby/collection/tools is after using them you get a product/results you can use WOOD. In the past my hobbies got me plenty of tickets:sucks:.
Picked up a nice Husky 128C string trimmer today. Finally got tired of working on the several cheapie Homelites, some of which are getting close to 20 years old now. This thing really cuts and the head is super easy to respool. Burned through the string they provided quickly and went up to the .095 string which lasts a lot longer.

Forgot to get a picture!
For a trimmer I like my Shindaiwa, never a problem in around 10yrs, it rips, and has done a lot of yards. I've never even changed the oil in it :laugh:.
I use very heavy square/diamond string with an aftermarked head(yes, I modded my trimmer :happy:). You cut the pieces of line to length then just slip them into the head. On most the places I mow I use only 1-2 pieces, and on tough ones that I've never mowed 3-5. I have found it a lot easier to pre cut line rather than deal with a head jamming up when working. If there is someone with me they can cut while I drive to the next job, I'm working driving they should too :yes:.
Did someone say 20yrs old LOL.
Since there seems to be an inundation of old iron in this thread lately, I figured you'd all get a kick out of this CL scrounge. From what I can tell its a 94-96, and its the first brand new saw I've ever bought:numberone:.20160515_225513.jpg

Looks great Nazi.
Sometimes it's fun to pick up some of the "old iron" and have a good time. The great thing about having saws as a hobby/collection/tools is after using them you get a product/results you can use WOOD. In the past my hobbies got me plenty of tickets:sucks:.

For a trimmer I like my Shindaiwa, never a problem in around 10yrs, it rips, and has done a lot of yards. I've never even changed the oil in it :laugh:.
I use very heavy square/diamond string with an aftermarked head(yes, I modded my trimmer :happy:). You cut the pieces of line to length then just slip them into the head. On most the places I mow I use only 1-2 pieces, and on tough ones that I've never mowed 3-5. I have found it a lot easier to pre cut line rather than deal with a head jamming up when working. If there is someone with me they can cut while I drive to the next job, I'm working driving they should too :yes:.
Did someone say 20yrs old LOL.
Since there seems to be an inundation of old iron in this thread lately, I figured you'd all get a kick out of this CL scrounge. From what I can tell its a 94-96, and its the first brand new saw I've ever bought:numberone:.View attachment 503571
Why did Poulan ever change to "dog pee in the snow" yellow? The green saws looked so much better.....:dumb::dumb::dumb:

Here's yesterday's load of Norway pine. I'm always amazed how much settling takes place after several miles of bumpy road.

Broke the taillight trying to back up to the tree yesterday. Trailer needs quite a bit of work but I'm not dealing with that until I get my scrounge pile stacked.

View attachment 503292
Nice load and a sweet trailer for wood. Is it a converted boat trailer.
I broke a taillight backing into a driveway to by a splitter one time. The guy had an LED outdoor light shinning down the drive that was blasting me in the mirror.
You'll never guess what I hit, a stump, the irony of it all lol.
Here's trailer load #2 from Saturday, its chestnut. I just started a new green wood pile for the stuff that has been bucked up.
It should have another load on it by the end of the week of maple.20160514_191353.jpg Then yesterday I got this load of ash and hard maple from my buddy in the picture above from a job he did. 20160516_195941.jpg Here's how I like to be set up for splitting. Splitter between the pile and the trailer and anything to big gets halfed and the half goes right back on the trailer. This way I'm not lifting pieces of the ground again as I already did that when I loaded them. I managed to get about 1/3 of that trailer load done. I'm going to finish it today, at least that's the plan:).1463490598259.jpg

Mine was always a utility trailer. Kind of looks homemade with the sides cobbled on it from the previous owner (my wife's aunt RIP). It is built very well but isn't the prettiest thing. Being compact with high sides makes it easier to pull through narrow roads.

Problem is replacing it with a new one of similar capacity would be quite costly.

Latest posts

Back