Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, in Westchester County NY (the one below me, which is also the one just North of NYC) there were 2 separate coyote attacks on dogs in one week last week (one fatal, one not).

The Eastern Coyote is a new breed that never used to exist, but IMO it filled a void. We basically eradicated the Wolf & Mountain Loin (although Lions are still spotted on a regular basis) and then we re-introduced the Wild Turkey, which was too big for the Fox to handle. Anyway, that is my theory, and I'm sticking to it!

Drizzly day which made it perfect for putting up ceiling beams in the cabin. Did some of the skirting outside between showers too.

Darn it some of the red maple I'm trying to keep around the cabin are starting to die. And I have no need for firewood up here as I'm probably 3 years css plus another 2 in rounds. Oh well, I'll let them stand until they are totally dead.

The Honeydo list was long today :(
But ,,, I found a bit of time this afternoon :)
I scrounged up some new winch cable from a friend this week so a cable swap was the first order of business .

IMG_20160601_130133.jpg

I had asked for 150' of 5/16ths , I got between 200' to 250' so I had to unroll , measure and cut , 130' is spec for my little winch .
I figured I'd better test the cable so off to the scrounging zone I went :)

IMG_20160604_164858.jpg

IMG_20160604_164909.jpg

IMG_20160604_164916.jpg

Got it home and split , more black spruce for fall or spring :)

IMG_20160604_182313.jpg

No crocs were harmed in the processing today's scrounge ;)

I'm sorry guys, but I got the ULTIMATE scrounge!

Two hardwood chairs thrown away by a welfare family are being appropriated for the Cabin!

And I just had to walk a couple of houses down and carry them home!

I could be wrong, but they look like Maple to me!

Attachments

• IMG_20160604_221929798.jpg
    IMG_20160604_221929798.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 17
I'm sorry guys, but I got the ULTIMATE scrounge!

Two hardwood chairs thrown away by a welfare family are being appropriated for the Cabin!

And I just had to walk a couple of houses down and carry them home!

I could be wrong, but they look like Maple to me!

B good score mike..... No worries WE will be buying them two more perfectly good chairs soon!!!!!

0605160903a.jpg
For those of you who haven't seen the pulling and cutting I did for a few months, you would have a time understanding how much wood I have to split and bring home. This is the first load, my dad's truck with the 105 loaded. It honestly doesn't look like I pulled any wood from the property yet. It'll be a long summer of hauling.

Shea

Hang in there Mike, things get better.
I live about 25 mi east of Danbury. We had an excess of deer and turkeys..
The coyotes showed up, took care of the turkey and some of the deer fawns.
Now we don't have a coyote or deer problem since the wolves and cats showed.
Yes you read that right, wolves and big cats, lynx, bob and Mt lion.

My buddy TOF ( the other Fred) mows his back yard packing a 357 Mag because he has seen two wolves run through the back yard. The deer and coyotes have disapeared.
The black Bears are getting closer.
The 870 is loaded with #4 buck and handy.
WX is cold rainy, guess I'll mount the new Maxx grinder and sharpen some chain.

I found a want add on craigslist years ago by a tree service..looking for somebody to clear off job sites where the customers didn't want the wood. JACKPOT! I've got so much wood now that I don't even have room for it anymore at home, I'm bringing truck loads of wood to work for anybody that wants it. Win win for everybody, I get to play with my saws and heat the house for "NOTHIN"...and the tree service doesn't waste time on cutting or hauling wood. But...no being picky about it, gotta take what-ever they have...which I don't mind...I'll burn anything.

Dow

I found a want add on craigslist years ago by a tree service..looking for somebody to clear off job sites where the customers didn't want the wood. JACKPOT! I've got so much wood now that I don't even have room for it anymore at home, I'm bringing truck loads of wood to work for anybody that wants it. Win win for everybody, I get to play with my saws and heat the house for "NOTHIN"...and the tree service doesn't waste time on cutting or hauling wood. But...no being picky about it, gotta take what-ever they have...which I don't mind...I'll burn anything.

Dow

Damn man I have a great place at my house, where I could do the same thing.... I have put CL ads out that say FREE spot for tree service/homeowner to unload wood.....the messed up thing is I have many guys call and say they were going to come drop off wood and they never come..... Hell I thought it would be a win-win for me and a tree service, but I don't know now!!!!

You ever tried using your truck and going to haul the wood for them? That's what i do....that's the key...they don't want to load it or drive it around.

Dow

No.... And only because I have a lot of tops I get from woods that loggers leave behind..... I mean yes you have a good method, but the tree service you are helping are making good money having you haul it off....

I get plenty of wood to get me by, I just thought one of these tree services would like a close easy place to dump wood.... They are just making even better money these days having people pick it up for them..... I guess it is a win- win situation for both parties....

image.jpeg Got a little splitting done before the weather came in.
Had a fox grab one of my ducks today, I caught him at it and yelled. He took off leaving my duck a little bloodied but she looks like she should make it. Looks like I need to get my firearms license. I will leave it at that before I get moved to the guns thread. Lol.

Latest posts

Back