Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you guys wash your saws? Haven't ran mine in over a year and there's some serious gunk built up in it. Guess I should probably change the spark plugs too. Also have to get the Echo running soon
first,good to see ya back. i like this stuff 'cause it's cheap at dollar store. second it works pretty good. i dilute it a little with water. i use it full strength on tough grease and hose off. the wife uses it in the carpet scrubber and likes it.
hqdefault.jpg

I've been lax , haven't cleaned the 241 since I've bought it except for a bit of gas spillage.
Polly somewhere between 20 to 25 gallons through the saw.
When I do hose my saws down I'll use spray9 , any of the purple cleaners or even oven cleaner on the real tough stuff .

And just so yall know some of the real knotty spruce puts up a real fight compared to most hardwood,,, Jus sayin lol
848ee84761ed885ab9d1d9120c66c1a8.jpg

Yes sir.
I've owned as many splitters as I have saws, maybe more lol.
I called all the TSC in MI and no-one has one for that price. I would have bought as many as I could get on the 20' trailer without damaging them/buying more straps. The best price I found was 799, and that won't last, some stores had them at 999 still LOL.
Last yr they were at 850 when they went on sale for Black Friday.
I found some free skids/pallets so went by the local TSC. 35 ton splitter $1399 is all they had:envy: but I came back with my mini van to use this free wi-fi after grabbing 9 of theseIMG_20170906_160406.jpg7 or 8 left for Thursday.:yes: So here I am on line listening to a baseball game eating a lite dinner. Multi-tasking ?
Rest ez folks

I found some free skids/pallets so went by the local TSC. 35 ton splitter $1399 is all they had:envy: but I came back with my mini van to use this free wi-fi after grabbing 9 of theseView attachment 6003117 or 8 left for Thursday.:yes: So here I am on line listening to a baseball game eating a lite dinner. Multi-tasking ?
Rest ez folks
Sounds like a good evening Tony :D.
I'm down to 2 pallets at my place, and with 4 big spruce or something sappy and green I'm going to use those up. I like to get a good fire going, then I'll throw a pallet on, then pile the pine/spruce on wait until it catches good and burns down, then I can just keep throwing more on at a nice pace. I'm going to have a few trailers worth to:blob2: unless I can drop it all at a buddies house. That would be perfect, as he's 5 mins from the job and my place is 25 :dizzy:.
Who's playing/winning :numberone:.

i'll go over it when i bring it home Friday since it was assembled by a TSC employee.:dumb2: didn't have my 2" ball with me and plus it was raining and didn't want to get it wet.:rolleyes:
I don't tow those units down the rd Steve.
The way they are designed is not meant to handle it, and they will crack at the welds on the gussets at the hydraulic tank for the engine. I've had a few of them like that, but I've gotten better deals because of it :).

Yes, obviously keeping water out of air cleaner and muffler outlets.
Guess I should have said that too.
I like to clean around the carb area with the air filter on as much as possible and then remove it after getting most the crud. I then turn the choke on and will put a small piece of cloth in the carb to keep out debris.
I also try not to hit the seals and gaskets with direct blasts of air from my air hose as I keep it on 150psi for cleaning saws and the like.
Side note.
When packaging them for shipping I dump the bar oil out first, then run it dry of oil, then I will do the same with the fuel and then run it dry of fuel. After that I blow out the gas tank and sometimes I even let it dry out over night with the gas cap off.

Sounds like a good evening Tony :D.
I'm down to 2 pallets at my place, and with 4 big spruce or something sappy and green I'm going to use those up. I like to get a good fire going, then I'll throw a pallet on, then pile the pine/spruce on wait until it catches good and burns down, then I can just keep throwing more on at a nice pace. I'm going to have a few trailers worth to:blob2: unless I can drop it all at a buddies house. That would be perfect, as he's 5 mins from the job and my place is 25 :dizzy:.
Who's playing/winning :numberone:.
St. louis 2 san diego 1 8th inning I think Rookie start pitchers both teams rookie relief for cards.
I'm thinking stack splits on pallets to assist drying by keeping off ground. Each to his own

St. louis 2 san diego 1 8th inning I think Rookie start pitchers both teams rookie relief for cards.
I'm thinking stack splits on pallets to assist drying by keeping off ground. Each to his own
Slow game, but to me baseball usually is.
I have done that in the past, and will do it again when I get the sides on my woodshed, works well. For now I grab off the pile and if it has any moisture I throw it back on the pile, or dry it beside or on top of the wood stove.

Slow game, but to me baseball usually is.
I have done that in the past, and will do it again when I get the sides on my woodshed, works well. For now I grab off the pile and if it has any moisture I throw it back on the pile, or dry it beside or on top of the wood stove.
Final score is Cards 3 Padres 1 :numberone:Go cards, trying to get to the playoffs for the World series. Big deal with Cards fans in a lot of surrounding states.
I am in my driveway a few yards from the entrance to the sleep I need.
G'nite

Try using plastic wedges for felling and bucking, and steel for splitting(unless you were trying to cut one out of a chunk that wouldn't split).

I would guess the cost of a grinder would take a while to pay off vs using chains you could file based on how much you cut.
The good thing is you already have those chains and someone who can grind them for you. I would keep looking for a low priced one now as your not in a hurry.
I picked up a really good grinder on sale at TSC last Fall. It was regular around $300 on for $129.

I think the margin of error in wood that hard is going to be a lot less than most woods we cut stateside.

Every time Advanced Auto has a buy one get one free sale on brake cleaner I buy a case. When ever I pull the air filter I spray down the carb box and the engine fins, then blow off with air hose. When I replace chains and flip the bar I spray down the groove in the bar, and the rest of the saw, blow dry. If I get pine tar or grease on the plastic, spray and wipe with old t-shirts. Always wipe the plastic with old t-shirts. Most of my saws are old pro grade Homelites, so no plastic. The brake clean doesn't hurt the paint on them. One time I picked up an old 107 CC Pioneer and hit it with brake cleaner and it did start to wash the decals off, so be careful if you like to sleep with your pretty saws, Joe.

I found some free skids/pallets so went by the local TSC. 35 ton splitter $1399 is all they had:envy: but I came back with my mini van to use this free wi-fi after grabbing 9 of theseView attachment 6003117 or 8 left for Thursday.:yes: So here I am on line listening to a baseball game eating a lite dinner. Multi-tasking ?
Rest ez folks
You need a 35 ton splitter to split pallet wood?! :D

I don't tow those units down the rd Steve.
The way they are designed is not meant to handle it, and they will crack at the welds on the gussets at the hydraulic tank for the engine. I've had a few of them like that, but I've gotten better deals because of it :).
FWIW I put high speed hubs on my DHT splitter so it can be pulled from place to place. With no suspension I can imagine it wouldn't last too many years going up and down a bumpy road.

Latest posts

Back