Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your grandmother drove a 383 four speed dart, where she from Pasadena?
She drove that car everyday. When my grandfather found it the trans was in the trunk and the top end of the motor was in the back seat. He put it back together and maid a driver out of it. Back then it was just another car. After its run as a daily driver it sat for awhile and then he restored it completely.

Well, I can actually contribute to the subject of this thread! Got a bit of time to get some of that red elm taken down. One of the bigger ones is a little past it's expiration date but it should still work for the warmer days. Hopefully I can get it out of the bottom of that ravine without too much exertion, got an idea with and old pickup hood. Really need an ATV but I don't know that it would make it any faster.

27711166_10213180639968868_93845869_o.jpg 27711511_10213180637808814_85000346_o.jpg27744836_10213180637648810_1839893652_o.jpg 27711053_10213180636928792_1986866776_o.jpg

What's your guy's opinion on getting the elm down in the left of this image? I'm thinking just fell it as I normally would, and be ready to back the eff up. Once it starts going, it shouldn't get tangled up in much and with that tree to the right it should go down no issue. I don't see the tree to the right posing any threat other than coming straight down.

27606069_10213180637608809_1877043555_o.jpg

Had the b&c lock up on the 550 again today. Thats twice. Both times cutting a log directly on the ground so I couldn't cut all the way through. Both times I let off the gas and let the chain stop in the cut (not loaded) before I pulled the bar out of the cut. I think that maybe an operator issue, but this is the only saw/bar/chain I have ever had the issue with. I don't think it has anything to do with the saw. Just OE or a b&c issue. I cleaned everything I could out of the bar but I still can't get the nose sprocket to loosen up. It's like there's stuff mashed in between the outside of the sprocket and the inside of the bar. I have a brand new backup bar that I put on but its the same exact bar. Any suggestions on a better bar? It's a 16" 325/050 66DL b&c. And while we are at it, I have heard good things about the "good" Stihl chain. Which one is that?

Chips get in between the bar and chain. Both times. But now the nose sprocket is really hard to turn.

Have you flipped the bar? I don't know if that helps evacuate some of the crap in there or not. Compressed air is great to clean out the sprockets, I make sure they spin real good when blowing them out, you'll hear a hell of a zing when they get up to speed.

Have you flipped the bar? I don't know if that helps evacuate some of the crap in there or not. Compressed air is great to clean out the sprockets, I make sure they spin real good when blowing them out, you'll hear a hell of a zing when they get up to speed.
I flip the bar every time I use the saw. On every saw. Every time. I take the bar off, clean the groove/sprocket/saw, sharpen the chain and top fluids. When I get to the field its flip, pull, run. No messing with anything before I need the saw. Compressed air won't spin this sprocket. It's too hard to turn.

A hood makes a great sled .
We used to go 4 wheelin in a local gravel pit. Went in one time and found a dumped 396 Caprice. Took the hood off and tied it to the hitch on my buddy's 64 Willys, with about 50' of tow chain. We went sand and gravel skying for about a month. Then the grave company rearranged the pits so we couldn't get in, Joe.

Latest posts

Back