Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The coldest places on earth don’t have hardwood. Wonder how they survive? Lol. Here where hardwood is common, there is a taboo on burning softwood. Many people think it causes creosote which isn’t true. Out west and up north burning softwood is all they have. And as far as getting up in the middle of the night to load the stove? If I had to do that, it wouldn’t be long before I either got a bigger stove or upgraded the insulation and windows/doors in my home.

Yep. I burn a lot of willow and hve no problem of keeping a fire overnight. Just throw on a big piece. Same as when I was a kid, Put the biggest piece of pine handy on and go to bed.

I'm just trying to figure it out for future use. But that was the only video I had that's chainsaw/firewood related.
On a computer:
Open the video on youtube, click the "Share" button, copy the "Embed Code" (should look similar to this - youtube-xw-YJ1Q3arA)
In the reply box here on ArboristSite, place the cursor where you want to insert the video (best to leave an empty line above the video), click the "Media" button in the grey area above the reply box (looks like two film strips), this will open the media prompt box, paste the "Embed Code" in the "Enter media URL:" text line, click the green "Embed" button on the lower left of the prompt box.

This should work for you. Another way to do it on the computer is to just right click on the thumbnail or tittle before you open it and use "copy link address", then paste that link in the "media" box as stated above

Edit: Ha! I guess even if you just put it in text in the reply box it automatically converts it. That wasn't supposed to show up as the actual video. I'll see if this fixes it......

Wow, you guys make a large task out of a small one.
When on the computer you pull up the video on youtube, copy the url, then paste it to the post done.
I will say I've had phones that would not allow me to no matter what I tried, I'm sure if I would have found a teenager or asked my older kids all would have been well :dumb:.
Also a little tip for you guys(Steve :laugh:), don't just search "farm and garden" for a chainsaw use the search page on the craigslist homepage for your area. You may be surprised how many are in tools general and other random areas, many people listing stuff on CL have no idea what they are doing, and even those who do make plenty of mistakes when listing items.
Here's a nice one, I'm all about safety:lol:, and I really like all the orange, my kind of girl, getrdun:rock:.
Great idea, but if she hit my chain on the t post or scratches the front of the saw on it I'm gonna be upset :eek:.

Wow, you guys make a large task out of a small one.
When on the computer you pull up the video on youtube, copy the url, then paste it to the post done.
I will say I've had phones that would not allow me to no matter what I tried, I'm sure if I would have found a teenager or asked my older kids all would have been well :dumb:.
Also a little tip for you guys(Steve :laugh:), don't just search "farm and garden" for a chainsaw use the search page on the craigslist homepage for your area. You may be surprised how many are in tools general and other random areas, many people listing stuff on CL have no idea what they are doing, and even those who do make plenty of mistakes when listing items.
Here's a nice one, I'm all about safety:lol:, and I really like all the orange, my kind of girl, getrdun:rock:.
Great idea, but if she hit my chain on the t post or scratches the front of the saw on it I'm gonna be upset :eek:.

all I can say is "if she used my 390 xp with a full comp, her mud flaps wood be like a solid front bumper made for a winch" or is that wench?? lol

Had a buddy,Josh, bring his 357xp over this evening. Said it just quit running and wanted me to take a look at it. A pull on the starter rope suggested low compression so I hooked up the tester and 60psi. Josh, your saw is blown up. Can I fix it. Well I am sure I dont have any 357parts, but lets pull the top and see how bad it is. Plenty fo scoreing. Ring stuck on piston, lots of transfer on the cyl. Josh, you need a new top end, he didnt want to spend the money. OK, I have a ring that will fit, we can try to clean it up and see what happens. Pulled piston and the rod was black, the pin was blue. Josh, a ring aint going to fix this saw, did you check the gas to see if it had mix in it. so we dumped the gas and it was mixed, so I told him the saw probably has a air leak somewhere and the pin and rod bearing are toast. Case needs to be split and a new crank assembly and seals replaced, and a new top end. Well, I certainly aint going to spend that kind of money on it Josh said. Well then, sell it to me, nope, he wanted to keep it for a parts saw, said he had two more 357s. Put the new ring in it and it might last for years. I doubt it I said, bet you dont get one load of firewood cut before it blows the crank or rod bearing and possibly destroys the case. Well its junk the way it is, so again I suggest he sell it to me. Nope, put the ring in it. OK, but I aint guaranteeing anything and you have been warned.

So I take some muratic acid and just drench the cyl and set it out side to smoke. Took a screwdriver handle and pecked around the ring until I was able to get it off the piston. Then took some emory cloth and start buffing up the piston and cleaning out the ring groove. It took a little while but finally got the ring groove where the ring would slide around it freely. Took some blue rag on a roll and soaked it in the acid and wrapped it around a broom handle and used a drill to lap the cyl, it actually cleaned up pretty good. Used grease on the pin bearing and poured mix oil on the crank bearing and put everything back together. Check compression and it had 100psi. Gave the cord a few pulls and it cranked and let it idle for a few minutes then it just died. Cranked right back up, but wouldnt idle. I think it still has a air leak. Did another compression check and it was up too 110psi. I quit then and told him to take it home and put his bar and chain back on and try adjusting the carb. Better yet, take it to the saw shop and let them fine tune it. Charged him $20 for the ring and labor and told him the warranty expires when he reaches the end of the drive way. Said he had a 268 that was blown up he was going to bring me to see what can be done. Great, I really like working on blownup saws. Especially when the owner is to cheap to fix it right.

Had a buddy,Josh, bring his 357xp over this evening. Said it just quit running and wanted me to take a look at it. A pull on the starter rope suggested low compression so I hooked up the tester and 60psi. Josh, your saw is blown up. Can I fix it. Well I am sure I dont have any 357parts, but lets pull the top and see how bad it is. Plenty fo scoreing. Ring stuck on piston, lots of transfer on the cyl. Josh, you need a new top end, he didnt want to spend the money. OK, I have a ring that will fit, we can try to clean it up and see what happens. Pulled piston and the rod was black, the pin was blue. Josh, a ring aint going to fix this saw, did you check the gas to see if it had mix in it. so we dumped the gas and it was mixed, so I told him the saw probably has a air leak somewhere and the pin and rod bearing are toast. Case needs to be split and a new crank assembly and seals replaced, and a new top end. Well, I certainly aint going to spend that kind of money on it Josh said. Well then, sell it to me, nope, he wanted to keep it for a parts saw, said he had two more 357s. Put the new ring in it and it might last for years. I doubt it I said, bet you dont get one load of firewood cut before it blows the crank or rod bearing and possibly destroys the case. Well its junk the way it is, so again I suggest he sell it to me. Nope, put the ring in it. OK, but I aint guaranteeing anything and you have been warned.

So I take some muratic acid and just drench the cyl and set it out side to smoke. Took a screwdriver handle and pecked around the ring until I was able to get it off the piston. Then took some emory cloth and start buffing up the piston and cleaning out the ring groove. It took a little while but finally got the ring groove where the ring would slide around it freely. Took some blue rag on a roll and soaked it in the acid and wrapped it around a broom handle and used a drill to lap the cyl, it actually cleaned up pretty good. Used grease on the pin bearing and poured mix oil on the crank bearing and put everything back together. Check compression and it had 100psi. Gave the cord a few pulls and it cranked and let it idle for a few minutes then it just died. Cranked right back up, but wouldnt idle. I think it still has a air leak. Did another compression check and it was up too 110psi. I quit then and told him to take it home and put his bar and chain back on and try adjusting the carb. Better yet, take it to the saw shop and let them fine tune it. Charged him $20 for the ring and labor and told him the warranty expires when he reaches the end of the drive way. Said he had a 268 that was blown up he was going to bring me to see what can be done. Great, I really like working on blownup saws. Especially when the owner is to cheap to fix it right.
I can't wait to see it listed on here in the TP; muddstopper built 357 $400 plus shipping :lol:.

They completely missed the money shot!
Yeah I couldn't see the bottom of the saw either :laugh:.
You may not know how important that shot is to me, but some of the other guys do :rock:.
Here's the bottom of one of my 372's :sweet:. Scrounged this up not long ago.
Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 11.33.20 PM.png

not much today with all the mud. split some scrounged highly valuable black walnut.;) got this pile and it's already sold.
View attachment 633273
Wow, you guys have no snow there.
We have about 3 feet on the ground here.
It was real warm today though. 0 C (that's 32 F)
So what does someone do with the blocked/split Walnut?
You think they burn it or do they use it for decorative inlays and such?

Latest posts

Back