Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I know... i look at dual cab pickups with some envy but here is like Cowboy (or was it Jeff?) said...commercial vehicles like vans and trucks keep their value/price insanely and on top of that is the insurance....3 or 4 times the cost of a car for some reason...nuts. however a modern dual cab pickup truck looks like it would serve very well for family duties and take half a cord in the bed... want

Yeah they can be expensive for sure maybe buy some old banga for just carting wood something with dents etc that looks like crap but runs well or I guess maybe a trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see any cherry, walnut or osage o_O

You know the rules.

But if your ute is full of mates, where do you put the wood? Take any pics of that stringy this week?

1644fc1b658c321e37e774a040591e59.jpg

Got home from work, fired up the stove, loaded the 395 and headed to the big pile. Didn't even make it a mile from the house. Infact I could still see my house at the other end of the cornfield. Gas company taking down so many trees a 5 man scrounging crew couldn't keep up. Got a truckload of roadside. Unload tomorow morning and go again....cherry, walnut and osage.
When it rains it pours. I put a lot of wood up 2 summers ago, hard to believe how much I did when I look at everything else I did. I still have a 12 cord pile of logs and about 20 cords of rounds to work up. If I run out I will buy a nice splitter, if not I'll keep using the ones I buy to sell, and hand split when I feel like it.
It's nice to be ahead and to not have to worry about it. I still like running the saws all the time and splitting though :D.
Point being if you are able to stock up go ahead:cheers:.

Yeah they can be expensive for sure maybe buy some old banga for just carting wood something with dents etc that looks like crap but runs well or I guess maybe a trailer.

My wood hauler is so beat up from "wooding" a scrap yard would reject it! Runs great though.

Looks like I need to get a better wood hauler. Any suggestion?

Well, don't get a Subaru unless you like a vehicle that can't get up a 5% grade pulling an empty trailer. 2% if it's full. And if you load up the back of the suby and have wood in the front and kids seats, it had better be downhill all the way home.

But....if you're in Indonesia, what's the scrounged wood for? Doesn't it hardly ever get below 30*C?

Welcome to scrounging BTW!

Looks like I need to get a better wood hauler. Any suggestion?
I have a dually for sale. You can fill it up AND pull peoples subies that are full. Uphill. Both ways. Barefoot in the snow. With your brother on your back.

Attachments

• 20170507_082624.jpg
    20170507_082624.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
The "Big *****" as I call it, she's a ripper saw to use, it just smashes through the wood (fully stock).
LusH6wHh.jpg

The 029 Super, the main go to saw for firewood cutting duties (it runs a .325 pitch with 8 rim sprocket and muffler mod.
jMq02o8h.jpg

The $25 special - Jonsereds 621 - she runs like a clock and hes heaps of grunt in the wood.
UBXlwU9h.jpg

The little Oleomac (my first chainsaw) has been a fantastic little saw and have owned it for around 14yrs or so now and has cut up some mighty big trees in its time (way above what it should be used for).
TnqInvbh.jpg

LondonNeil you seriously need a ute mate:laughing:, doing that constantly to a vehicle like that will only see it trashed sooner or later, I know how you feel though as I used to use a Commodore before I got a ute (best thing I ever did really) just allows me to haul pretty much anything I need and designed for the job.
The only problem with owning a Ute is once you’ve owned one you can never go back to not owning one.
BTW do you guys in the states also call them utes?

The only problem with owning a Ute is once you’ve owned one you can never go back to not owning one.

So true, I couldn't do half the stuff I do without one, when you live in the bush like I do you really do use your ute on almost a daily basis, plus the roads are crap and a standard sedan just won't cut it for long.

SUV for sport utility vehicle. Pickup truck is king here in North America. The best selling vehicle is a pickup. Fierce arguments and mockery are flung back and forth between owners of different brands but in the end, they all haul a load andnonce you’ve had one, it’s hard to do without. If I couldn’t have a Truck, I’d have a trailer. A car is for people and groceries, not firewood!

SUV for sport utility vehicle. Pickup truck is king here in North America. The best selling vehicle is a pickup. Fierce arguments and mockery are flung back and forth between owners of different brands but in the end, they all haul a load andnonce you’ve had one, it’s hard to do without. If I couldn’t have a Truck, I’d have a trailer. A car is for people and groceries, not firewood!
I like the trailer with the suburban, where you gonna put all your gear and then I need my little wood haulers too :).
Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 8.00.29 AM.png
This is behind/under that.
Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 8.00.04 AM.png
The the wood haulers(there's one more smaller wood hauler not in the picture :)) and more gear in front of that.
Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 7.57.57 AM.png
I think I need a sprinter van, do they make those in 4wd :).

My neighbor just dropped this old girl off. It has compression and will run on mix sprayed directly into the carb. There might be hope she can run again.
284cde5d9c436b4436c0b4b30c9f7282.jpg
47af2e700bd38df7b17e68b813d86c9e.jpg
3ab6b71e4f8bc186b00b6d4ee0c1ee4b.jpg
What's up Trevor.
It will run, that's the probable with them, the will never stop running, and after you've ran a pro saw you won't want to run more than a tank threw that heavy beast lol. The are great saws though and I wouldn't refuse one for that price :).

Latest posts

Back