Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Western MD is a sheet of ice. May be getting better now. My son got about five miles and wound up in the ditch. I took the Ram and pulled him out. People were still going 70 like nothing to it. Cars were in the ditch all over. We made a U turn at the first exit and headed home. Got a mile or so and the road was shut down to one lane. A car hit the big bushes in the median strip, was pretty tore up. Windshield was gone, air bag out. Just now heard we are under a winter storm warning.

Yesterday I was in "firewood mode", cutting and skidding out some old oak and maple,

standard.jpg

It wasn't long before the wood started piling up,

standard.jpg

As I got deeper in, I had to pull around a corner to get the bigger wood out,

standard.jpg

and that meant using a snatch block,

standard.jpg

Here's the biggest pull of the day,

standard.jpg

There's a lot more wood in there to skid, but I think i'll get all of this cut into firewood lengths first...

SR

rarefish283, I try to leave the non running looking ones alone. This box is at another online auction. Not even going to look close at it, whole lotta work in there. Says concrete and wood saws.
View attachment 640636
Dang, look at all those stihls :laugh:.
I'm sure there's some money to be made if the lot was bought at the right price.
But if it's not your thing it ain't your thing.
I'll be throwing a lot of stuff in the trash when I go through the trailer load I got.
4 saws are sold and there's a lot left, but not much of interest to me as I don't build them either.
I may put some parts on ebay, well see.

Western MD is a sheet of ice. May be getting better now. My son got about five miles and wound up in the ditch. I took the Ram and pulled him out. People were still going 70 like nothing to it. Cars were in the ditch all over. We made a U turn at the first exit and headed home. Got a mile or so and the road was shut down to one lane. A car hit the big bushes in the median strip, was pretty tore up. Windshield was gone, air bag out. Just now heard we are under a winter storm warning.
Just passed a state plow truck going other way. Less then a mile the roads white again. Box truck and a minivan off the road on 216 probably more till I head back threw with the kid.

Howdy Jeffrey, and welcome. What you have there sure looks like hard maple to me. Very dense and heavy.
Thanks crowbuster. The chunks weighed quite a bit when I loaded them. I thought it was just wet but hard maple makes sense. I think the last photo might be ash when I compare the bark to other photos in the thread.

I was thinking Mulberry. I scrounged up some walnut last weekend and this bark on this is different than the walnut.
How long has it been down? Mulberry is obvious when it's fresh cut as it' almost highlighter yellow in color. It makes excellent firewood but will throw sparks when you open the stove. It fades to almost chocolate brown when seasoned. Just touch a chain to it if it doesn' throw bright yellow chips it's not mulberry.

Just passed a state plow truck going other way. Less then a mile the roads white again. Box truck and a minivan off the road on 216 probably more till I head back threw with the kid.
I was thinking our 216 down this way. Then I remembered taking the back way to Alvernia, up through Manchester, toward Reading. Is that 216 also?

The township cut a small tree down at a nearby intersection and left the wood. It's quite heavy. I got 3 pieces of it. What did I pick up and is it worth going back for the rest?
View attachment 640735 View attachment 640736
Mulberry there Bobby. heavy as heck when green. ranks a bit above red and white oak in BTU,s. #11 on the chart for eastern hardwoods. a good wood for smoking meat. dries fairly quick when split and stacked.

Mulberry there Bobby. heavy as heck when green. ranks a bit above red and white oak in BTU,s. #11 on the chart for eastern hardwoods. a good wood for smoking meat. dries fairly quick when split and stacked.
Woohoo. If it's still there later in the week, and after this ******** weather, I'll grab the rest of it.

No scrounging but got to put my wood cutting skills to the test. We had some tornadoes last night and work let me help clean up today. No pics cause those people were already going through enough but the cs-590 got to go through probably 10 tanks on 2 3+ feet across red oaks. Was able to get everything but the biggest parts of the trees in a few hours. Chains were getting dull, I ran out of gas in the chainsaw and myself too. They have someone coming with some big saws tomorrow they said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back