Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I weren't so busy I would take a pic of the Spruce that has been sitting on the side of the road for a month and is still there. All the hardwood the tree crews cut disappeared! Steve, we are just snobby about that stuff down here!

For several years I heated my house almost exclusively with Red Maple, just didn't know any better, but it worked just fine! It was what I had!

Here is the gnarly elm I wanted to take down today.

Decided to hold off on this guy until the path is cleared a bit. Maybe cut the Y instead of trying to send it South in 1 piece.

Cleaned up some limbs from the way. Got some burnable pieces. But the bigger ones and the little bit of oaks too wet and just went off to the side in the shed.

So I will probably take the little guy here for today.

Have some boxelder scrubs to clear out before I mess with either of these.

It can’t all be sugar maple. Around here people hoard that stuff. As a scrounger I rarely get the upper echelon woods. Elm, box elder and silver maple have been heating my house for a couple years with no complaints. That and ash, people around here are dropping them like crazy before the borer gets em.

This guy's split a lot of wood with his

The Stickler was my 1st splitter - back in 1977? there abouts. Started on a 64 Chevy pickup, upgraded a few years to 70 Ford F150...both 2 wheel drive. Was splitting 18 to 24 inch length rounds...had to be careful not to start in the center of the 18-24 length or could have a 'spinning log' flopping around and around! Have to make sure the end that hits the ground has enough room to dig in and stop - not flop over! Over the years, upgraded to different hydraulic splitters, (much, much better), and The Stickler is sitting in the back of the storage shed! But it did do the job.

@#*"ING urban foxes! Disgusting animals. Loads in London and zillions in my bit. They screech, they knock bins over and they poo the most disgusting poo! Last summer I had new poo almost daily on front or back lawn, then the drive and then to top it, my front door mat !!! Well,I thought the door mat was the worst, but no. Over the past week or so a dog fox has taken to using my wood piles as his throne!!! This will not end well.

@#*"ING urban foxes! Disgusting animals. Loads in London and zillions in my bit. They screech, they knock bins over and they poo the most disgusting poo! Last summer I had new poo almost daily on front or back lawn, then the drive and then to top it, my front door mat !!! Well,I thought the door mat was the worst, but no. Over the past week or so a dog fox has taken to using my wood piles as his throne!!! This will not end well.
you guys can still buy and own pellet guns can't you? that should take care of the problem

Rain all day yesterday and a big red weather warning for this afternoon ...
Bacon and eggs then a beeline to my friends place with the truck and trailer this morning :)

CrSsECn.jpg

I got the rest of that oak loaded , even the Zoggerwood

se4dbmh.jpg

rt6617w.jpg

Still had a bit of room and the snow just started to trickle down so to make up a proper load ,,,

mQcXLwt.jpg

I decided to change stuff up a bit and filled the last 2 rows with Eastern white cedar lol
Made it home in time to go get the tractor

xEJbOuE.jpg

The start of a promised 7" , I hope they're wrong but I have the tractor home with the 8' blade on it just in case they get it right lol

you guys can still buy and own pellet guns can't you? that should take care of the problem

Ha! Yes but I read of somebody getting prosecuted for animal cruelty for shooting a fox with an air rifle. Tbf, it's only going to hurt/injure it. While I'd happily kill the things if it were legal I'll not injure it. Think I'll be getting a super soaker, that will be fun at least.

Ha! Yes but I read of somebody getting prosecuted for animal cruelty for shooting a fox with an air rifle. Tbf, it's only going to hurt/injure it. While I'd happily kill the things if it were legal I'll not injure it. Think I'll be getting a super soaker, that will be fun at least.
If I lived in a country where I had to fight varmit with a super soaker I would be packing RIGHT. QUICK.

zao-fox-village-japan-34.jpg
Hey Neil, a couple of foxes for ya!They look pretty pissed. Must've heard about the super soaker.

The Authority’s have been poisoning foxes with 1080 for the last few years here in the urban areas. As a result we have had a population explosion of brush turkeys which are naitive ( fox’s are a feral pest here in Aus). The down side is they build massive compost heap nests. We had one set up camp in our veggie patch two years ago and front yard last year. They literally scraped tons of mulch from my garden and neighbors gardens to my yard annoying the crap out of me.
Anyway one of my neighbors complained to the local council, their response was to send a brochure titled ‘living with your bush buddies’.
So seeing as fox’s are native to the UK Niel, I say learn to live with your Bush buddies.
And if that fails there’s nothing like a bit of high velocity lead poisoning to solve your problems!

Don't see how a 22 cal pellet in the ear wouldn't drop them in there tracks. Guys do it around here with a 22lr.

Latest posts

Back