Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a piece of wood removed from my pupil and ground out with a little bitty die grinder. Boy that was fun! I wear prescription safety glasses so they're always on. I think I'm going to invest in one of those screen things with ear muffs.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Like others have said, screen won't stop the sawdust.

Exactly, it's much like wearing a mask to stop a virus :popcorn2:.
The only cases we see here are from those coming back from overseas bringing it with them. We are open for business, gatherings, sport, etc. Touch wood it stays that way but people tending towards being self-centered borderline narcissists more interested in their rights rather than responsibilities, or just general slack @rses, we'll probably get another wave before vaccines are available. Of people returning to NZ, the law is they spend 14 days in (currently) govt paid hotel isolation and thereafter they can't leave until testing negative. The vast majority of returnees are happy to tow the line and grateful to be able to get back to NZ. But we've had a few break out. I mean, rip window latches off, cut holes in perimeter fences. I wish we could come up with a law with Aussie to send those people to the aforementioned detention centres until those people either pay their bills (rumoured to be about $4k per person for the hotel isolation here, plus a punative penalty for their outrageous, brain-dead reckless anti-social behaviour). If they don't pay, set them adrfit strapped to a bit of drift wood.

Safety glasses with side screens plus a face shield, little bug of steel bounced off of somewhere and still got in the eye. They dug that out with, from my perspective, what looked like steam shovel. Another time zipping down the freeway with the old style air conditioning ( 4 windows down /60+ mph) something flew in window and nailed me in the eye right past glasses- wrap around's. Which made both eyes shut , planted binders right there as no idea where I was. That was a wood sliver from somewhere and not from my car another excavation project. Bumblebee got me one time in outside corner of right eye - not fun at all. I got revenge a few days later. Nest in wood pile. All I did was walk past pile, wasn't even messing with it.

Hmm yes I know boo not even safety glasses are perfectly safe. I've had fine saw dust... The dusty kind, blow into my face and spec in the eye but since it's'blowing' it doesn't embed, and although nothing in the eye is safe fine sawdust doesn't seem gritty, blink and it's dealt with. However I shall try wearing the clear lens Oakleys... I'm getting I'll go back by to just the shield after half a tank, but I'll give it a try.

I was wearing safety glasses with side shields. It was dripping hot and humid. Honestly, I probably mashed it in wiping my face with my shirt. Vision still blurry in that eye and sunlight is bothersome

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Good luck with it. Hope it settles down quickly.

Hope your eye gets better soon Jeff, glad it wasn’t worse.
My buddy calls his screen glasses “birth control glasses” I tried them on2BC17171-FE4F-4402-8E97-046BD7813C2B.jpeg
New bar for the 462 showed up, sure like these bars, seem to hold up much better than Oregon 9E50762E-B810-4F44-ACB1-BC29432B4C7A.jpeg
Good thing it’s a ford;)2AFA96C3-6A51-428C-9113-FEB8BCC28E17.jpeg
Took kitty to my sons in-laws, he’s doing some tree removal and dirt work to make a spot for new metal building there. Saw an interesting tree over there B3959A17-542E-4FBC-82C3-13875F5246B3.jpeg

Ok I've been thinking on the specs. Generally I am a staunch advocate of proper ppe use at all times, especially glasses with as any kind of power tool, to and ear Defenders. Masks I'm now wearing to go shopping altoough these are one thing I dispense with often on DIY tasks as it's so often a Choice of mask or specs, or work in a fog, but other than that I use the ppe. Partly perhaps my problem is I'm a sweaty oik, and mist specs up then start doing m dripping sweat on them too. But perhaps if I had some better ones this would not be such an issue? Is there such a thing as 'better' safely specs? I've generally just used cheap. What do you gents use? Perhaps I should try anti fog sprays? Or buy multiple cheap pairs and swap out more often. Whatever I do... Glasses are better than seeking replacement eyes.

Anyone tried bolle?

Hope your eye gets better soon Jeff, glad it wasn’t worse.
My buddy calls his screen glasses “birth control glasses” I tried them onView attachment 845900
New bar for the 462 showed up, sure like these bars, seem to hold up much better than Oregon View attachment 845901
Good thing it’s a ford;)View attachment 845906
Took kitty to my sons in-laws, he’s doing some tree removal and dirt work to make a spot for new metal building there. Saw an interesting tree over there View attachment 845908
Whats the compression braking like in your truck Nate. With a load like that you’d really want a Diesel to help slow you down on a big hill.

Ok I've been thinking on the specs. Generally I am a staunch advocate of proper ppe use at all times, especially glasses with as any kind of power tool, to and ear Defenders. Masks I'm now wearing to go shopping altoough these are one thing I dispense with often on DIY tasks as it's so often a Choice of mask or specs, or work in a fog, but other than that I use the ppe. Partly perhaps my problem is I'm a sweaty oik, and mist specs up then start doing m dripping sweat on them too. But perhaps if I had some better ones this would not be such an issue? Is there such a thing as 'better' safely specs? I've generally just used cheap. What do you gents use? Perhaps I should try anti fog sprays? Or buy multiple cheap pairs and swap out more often. Whatever I do... Glasses are better than seeking replacement eyes.

Anyone tried bolle?
I don't think there's any type of glasses that's going to help against sweat. Try wearing a sweatband/head band/ bandanna around your forehead. Stops a lot of dripping which is my problem. As for fogging, that's caused by the glasses too close to the face restricting air flow. Of course, moving them further down your nose is counter productive protection wise.

Whats the compression braking like in your truck Nate. With a load like that you’d really want a Diesel to help slow you down on a big hill.
With the diesel and manual transmission it’s not too bad, holds back pretty good. Good trailer brakes are a must.

Did some milling for someone yesterday afternoon. Was a 30" dead, dry Norway Maple that just killed my chains (2 - 36"). Got it about half done and will have to go back to finish. At least all the set up work has been done.

Was too exhausted to get pics, maybe next time. The boards look nice!

Did some milling for someone yesterday afternoon. Was a 30" dead, dry Norway Maple that just killed my chains (2 - 36"). Got it about half done and will have to go back to finish. At least all the set up work has been done.

Was too exhausted to get pics, maybe next time. The boards look nice!
Semi-chisel square next time lol.
What was it about that wood that killed your chains?
Look forward to the pictures.

Don’t think I’ve had this much fun in a long time. These boards are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!! The mill worked flawlessly once operator error was removed from the first two cuts.

Ended up having to sharpen the chain every three boards and fueling up every 2 to 3 boards. Went through about 1 1/2 gallons of fuel and bar oil.

I am ecstatic to say the least!!!! May have found a new addiction

Video to come n maybe. Won’t post it here though. Could not get my GoPro to work as I think it is a goner, so my buddy that was helping me videoed it with his phone so I’m waiting on him to send it.

Saved the bottom part to make a bench. Probably 6” thick
0098b1ed27dd7e64beec3f65725386f5.plist

98080c6990a6ee68d3a3edddb7a90162.plist

32d54334b2c4f9d92d342e14fd76b2b9.plist

ee601837bf0ca0648d30c6a9c9a51896.plist

7a0090da3c7df4d44930741ab24f26b6.plist

d4ca8c9ae52291028da5f1fd0517e520.plist

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Don’t think I’ve had this much fun in a long time. These boards are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!! The mill worked flawlessly once operator error was removed from the first two cuts.

Ended up having to sharpen the chain every three boards and fueling up every 2 to 3 boards. Went through about 1 1/2 gallons of fuel and bar oil.

Video to come n maybe. Won’t post it here though. Could not get my GoPro to work as I think it is a goner, so my buddy that was helping me videoed it with his phone so I’m waiting on him to send it.

Very nice!!

Fantastic! It' a blessing to open up a log and see what's inside. A bit like prospecting for hidden treasure.
I'm not familiar with drying your timber species but those stacks if here would have stickers/fillets within a few inches of each end, the stickers would run full width, and the stack would be strapped or weighted. Also, is the slab waterproofed? Rising damp, coming through a below grade slab and hitting the bottom face of the bottom board has ruined a few boards for me here in the past.

Back