Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The weekend can't get here fast enough.

Excited to get some wood processed, and give the new saw a workout.

So, I had bought some Husqvarna H80-072G chains a while back, and I really like them. The rackers are goofy looking, like bent over with a 90 deg. angle in them. They freaking eat though. Trying to decide on whether or not I should order more of those, or something else for my 20" 3/8 bars.

What do you guys like to run?

When to my sisters place to do a good deed today. They had a bunch of dead ash in their back yard in town, BIL cut a couple down but had a few close calls so of course my wife said I would do it. Trees all came down easy and I made him push each one and then he had to put everything thru my chipper. I thought I was leaving the wood for him to burn but he thought it was way too much so wanted me to take it. I had taken my 20' trailer with my Steiner and the chipper on it. Didn't look like that much wood so I decided I would load the wood on the trailer, load the Steiner on the rear and he could haul the chipper back to my place. Of course it took longer than expected and I had an online auction I had to get to so we loaded up and headed out for the 20 mile trip. Got 1 1/2 mile from home and all hell broke loose. Had already unloaded the Steiner when I remembered to take a pic. Pieces are anywhere from 2' to 5' long so I'm guessing close to a full cord. Yeah might have been a little heavy on the front. Tires were relatively new. Yup "free firewood".

Attachments

• 20201008_184830.jpg
    20201008_184830.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 32
I was going to put this in the WTF thread. I bought a few things and made the mistake of showing this to my wife. It just sold a few minutes ago, there is a 13% buyers fee and taxes to add to this price. Works out to around Can $937. I'm leaving for Timmins tomorrow morning and she's planning to raid my stock of unused saws hanging in the barn. How many years did OJ get again? If I kill her for selling them will you guys be my jury of peers?

Attachments

• 20201008_204348.jpg
    20201008_204348.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 39
Now that’s a manly way to take care of your parents. Feels good doing something right, huh?

For sure. Also, there's possibly stihl something in there of the lad who wants to show his parents what he can do. I'm sure there's a little boy in all of us. Never mind that I'm 45 years old.

Cannot believe im still burning wood in October, Gone through 12m squared this year. How many cords is that?

We're stihl burning on and off. Probly will tonight as well, I think. We would have burned 16, maybe 17 cubes or 4.5 cord-ish. A lot of cold clear nights means much more consumption through winter, then a wet spring and we're burning because there's no sun and everything is damp. Haven't really had good firepit weather either so we have a ton of firepit junk to get through too.

I'm coming to appreciate collecting wood from my normal source. It may mean 20 mins each way in the car but it's back up to the neat pile, load, drive away. After another 35 minutes between rain showers, getting rounds from the undergrowth next door, I'm a about half done I guess. I've battled the Holly Bush where most of it was and the rounds are now stacked along a path just by the fence... It's just a case of shifting it to my side now.... And finding somewhere to put it... It's looking like more reach time I grab some.

I can't help but notice a lack of something, Neil...

Seven out of nine rows stacked in this bay now, getting into the eighth. These last three rows I'm putting bigger blue gum chunks on the right hand side in for night burns with the rest peppermint. Seems more tedious than normal this year for some reason.

11th Oct 1.jpg

I'm debarking as I go which means that there is an ugly pile of junk accumulating. Looking forward to getting this all cleaned up so it's not such an eyesore.

11th Oct 2.jpg

I had the firepit going for much of the afternoon and got several @H-Ranch loads of bark into it. Today is the first day it hasn't been thumping down rain all week.

Rented a chipper to help friends clear their driveway. Steve had a stroke 5-6 years ago and can get around the house ok, but uses a chair outside. They have 30 acres and their drive is over 1000’. We had filled two 8’ pickup loads of chips and I was pushing old rotted logs back into the bush with the loader, looked around and my wife was sitting on the driveway. Drove over, and one shoe was off, and she was holding her left wrist. Pulled over and she said, “ I think I broke my wrist.” Where she was working the drive had a 3-4” lip and she turned her ankle and went down on her left hand. That was about 3:30, got home about 9:30 in a cast. While I was going to get my truck to take her to the hospital she called our son to come get her, told me to keep working. She has to go see a surgeon Monday to make sure everything is set right. Hoping they don’t need to put in screws. Well, gotta get back over and finish at Steve’s house.

Latest posts

Back