Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think my little ea4300 came with that chain. Really really aggressive hook but cut nice.... Until I had a falling log push my best sideways and it tickled the side of the metal saw horse I was trying out. Now it's filed normally.
I like the stihl picco chain a lot, did some cutting with it today in cottonwood with the ms201 rear handle and the ms200t:chainsaw:. Never tried the x-chain in 3/8lp.
AHH no I remember now, it came with semi chisel which I've not taken out the packet yet. I've been running Oregon full chisel. Checking the packaging, LX apparently.
Depending on the application, semi is great chain. I need to remember to bring a 20" semi-chisel tomorrow to flush cut 10 stumps I made today.
The 550 did a great job with the 18x325 husky labeled Oregon full chisel I sharpened yesterday, I did have to touch to up today. It made a huge difference when it was buried, felt it right away and it still looked pretty good, I was quite surprised.
Here's one of the 10 I removed today.

Lucky guy to have a helper. It looks like you are entering mud season there. Probably will here soon too, but still working in snow covered and frozen ground today.
Very blessed I am :).
She's my reader, it's hard to get her outside, but once she's there she does a great job.
Two weekends ago the mud was real bad, now most of the frost is out, so it should be drying up pretty quick as we have a lot of gravel beneath the topsoil here. Wondering when my buddy is going to make it over to rip out the stumps, looking forward to doing more grading there. I did a bunch yesterday and had part of it well situated, but the ground was still frozen in a few spots and it was muddy in others. Maybe Thursday I'll get back out there and work on it some, tomorrow I'm working on 8 more cottonwood, and three red pine :baba:, I don't see myself doing much here at the house afterwards if anything.
Glad yours hasn't gone to mush, need to get what you can done beforehand or else it's a big mess.
Do you do syrup at your place?

Swamp white oak is a great tree. Get that started in those areas and you'll not regret it. I have some on my camp property and had a bunch at the edge of the beaver pond across the road from my house in the 1970s.

Side note: I starting growing cannabis in May 1970. First year or two it was right out in the garden and in a bedroom window-box since few knew what it was and no one was looking for it. That didn't last. So then I tried growing in far flung areas of meadow, but rodents ate every plant despite all fencing measures. In the end, my best and favorite weed-grow was what my diary labelled: "cross bar oak." I wired up a horizontal oak pole to two swamp white oaks growing about 10 or twelve feet apart, such that the pole was well above the water. From the pole I hung (6, 8, 10?--can't remember) sap buckets filled with the best soil and compost. At the proper time I transplanted my started plants into the buckets (from the visqueem greenhouse I tacked onto the garage wall). Those plants did well, as every couple of days I waded out and scooped cans of swamp water onto them. That operation provided my yearly supply.

GEAT IDEA!

I have a swamp that i have a similar plan for. I also manage in a large outdoor farm. And its going to be MUCH larger this summer.

54b88b73a9c11d4117abea3407102e44.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

Farmer Steve is that rubber roofing covering your stacks of wood? I have a 10x20 ft piece thats lasted over 15 years.
Yes it is. I had a roofer friend that brought me tons of it. Only drawback is bigger pieces are so dang heavy for one guy to drag around. Gorilla tape works good for patching holes.

Yes it is. I had a roofer friend that brought me tons of it. Only drawback is bigger pieces are so dang heavy for one guy to drag around. Gorilla tape works good for patching holes.
Years ago a crew was working in front of my house and left this 8 mil roll behind. It sat for a few weeks and I finally grabbed it, not knowing what I would use it for. It slips over pipe, so if I were to slice it lengthwise it would be twice as wide. Last year I found a use for it and I also have pallets of rounds I want to cover soon.

P5160204.JPGP8220032.JPGP5180221.JPGP5180223.JPG

Very blessed I am :).
She's my reader, it's hard to get her outside, but once she's there she does a great job.
Two weekends ago the mud was real bad, now most of the frost is out, so it should be drying up pretty quick as we have a lot of gravel beneath the topsoil here. Wondering when my buddy is going to make it over to rip out the stumps, looking forward to doing more grading there. I did a bunch yesterday and had part of it well situated, but the ground was still frozen in a few spots and it was muddy in others. Maybe Thursday I'll get back out there and work on it some, tomorrow I'm working on 8 more cottonwood, and three red pine :baba:, I don't see myself doing much here at the house afterwards if anything.
Glad yours hasn't gone to mush, need to get what you can done beforehand or else it's a big mess.
Do you do syrup at your place?

I probably spoke too soon. Yesterday the temps rolled straight into the 60's, melted the snow, and exposed the slick soil underneath, all in one day. I had a lot of skidding done already, so I bucked a reasonable amount and split while working on saw chips. I think it will be even warmer today - probably car washing weather, although I still have the water to all my outdoor hose bibs shut off and the hoses stowed.

I do not do any tree tapping for syrup. I don't know enough about it, to confirm I even have enough trees to make it worth while. I helped my Dad many years ago at the old homestead in Lancaster County. Really only had enough for him to play at it. We eventually boiled off a couple quart ball jars that he gave out as presents to friends.

Still getting to know everyone here, but your wheelbarrow has more miles on it than my ATV trailer.
Pushing through the snow - God bless you man!
Great tools wheelbarrows
Even have my wife using one for her garden cleanups, although I'd like to buy her a two-wheeled one to make it easier for her.

Great tools wheelbarrows
Even have my wife using one for her garden cleanups, although I'd like to buy her a two-wheeled one to make it easier for her.
Yeah they are. We have a True Temper 2 wheel 8 cu ft. Very handy and my wife has an easier time with it.

Yeah they are. We have a True Temper 2 wheel 8 cu ft. Very handy and my wife has an easier time with it.
Mine's a True Temper 6 cu/ft single wheel.
Plus I notice when I load it up with heavy firewood like Elm or Oak, that tire is pretty stressed. I'm thinking that a two wheeled one will take a bit of the load off a single.

Back