Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! Probably the only Husky I wouldn't mind owning myself and with an older redfield on top of it to boot!
That’s actually an old weaver K4.

I currently own 3 Husky rifles, but sadly that one is no longer with me. 2 of the ones I have now are 1930s vintage Mauser actions, one in 35 whelen and the other in 375 whelen. The third is a small bolt action single shot 32/20.

That’s actually an old weaver K4.

I currently own 3 Husky rifles, but sadly that one is no longer with me. 2 of the ones I have now are 1930s vintage Mauser actions, one in 35 whelen and the other in 375 whelen. The third is a small bolt action single shot 32/20.
Wow between you and SR you two could start a museum on old classic and fine quality firearms! 🤣🤣 👍Good on ya!

Also, if ever one sees an add in a hunting magazine of a hunter with their huge trophy bear. Out of such and such world class trophy bear hunting lodges. Trust me, things aren't always what they appear!😉
IMG_20220504_062759773~2.jpg

This is a 450lb 3 year old sub adult Kodiak Bear.
A problematic nusance bruin hanging around our community that was becoming more aggressive and a bigger problem every day. Until one day there was an insident with this bear and a ten year old boy in the community. After that, I let my .338WM do the negotiating! 😉 "Bring Enough Gun"
IMG_20220504_062548566_HDR.jpg

Nice! Probably the only Husky I wouldn't mind owning myself 🤣😉 and with an older redfield on top of it too boot! Looks Iike a fixed 4x
Don't laugh. My trusty model 94 30-30 :surprised3: has an old Armsport side mount fixed 4x on it. Prolly kilt more deer with the iron sights though.

Warming trend started yesterday and I needed some exercise. Plus, I've been working on my chain/bar that cut to the right with my new 2 in 1. Filed the burrs off the bar too. Not much at the log yard, but I did manage a partial load of branches left in one pile.
The saw cut much better. Fairly big chips and no grabbing. And it cut straight. The oak was not big, maybe 12" dia. and a little soft in the middle. So, the verdict is still out on the straightness. A couple more sharpenings and I'll have all the teeth angles the same. Right now only one side is sharpened the full lenght of the cutters. I'll get bigger chips when it's filed correctly. Never to old to learn.

Could have dug more out from the pile, but it was warming up and I wanted to get the firewood down the hill before the ground softened. Temp just hit 32 and my tires (2WD) slipped a little on the surface mud.

Six weeks of Winter left and I haven't gotten to my Winter splitting. Got to get off my gluteus maximus and get it done. Gets stack on the new pallet out front of the stacks.
IMG_1643.JPGIMG_1650.JPGIMG_1649.JPG

Don't laugh. My trusty model 94 30-30 :surprised3: has an old Armsport side mount fixed 4x on it. Prolly kilt more deer with the iron sights though.
Oh Im not laughing at the the gun or the scope brother! Im laughing at the fact that its a Husky and I actually want it! 🤣🤣😉

My Sako Finnbear 06 has a fixed 4x redfield widefield on top top of it! 👍

Warming trend started yesterday and I needed some exercise. Plus, I've been working on my chain/bar that cut to the right with my new 2 in 1. Filed the burrs off the bar too. Not much at the log yard, but I did manage a partial load of branches left in one pile.
The saw cut much better. Fairly big chips and no grabbing. And it cut straight. The oak was not big, maybe 12" dia. and a little soft in the middle. So, the verdict is still out on the straightness. A couple more sharpenings and I'll have all the teeth angles the same. Right now only one side is sharpened the full lenght of the cutters. I'll get bigger chips when it's filed correctly. Never to old to learn.

Could have dug more out from the pile, but it was warming up and I wanted to get the firewood down the hill before the ground softened. Temp just hit 32 and my tires (2WD) slipped a little on the surface mud.

Six weeks of Winter left and I haven't gotten to my Winter splitting. Got to get off my gluteus maximus and get it done. Gets stack on the new pallet out front of the stacks.
View attachment 1055231View attachment 1055232View attachment 1055233
Im low on firewood. I need to go scrounge some up. I was getting burned out OVERLOADEDING by hand and was hoping the Skid S would get here before I ran out of wood, but I don't think that's gonna happen. I did get my skidding arch welded up yesterday Though.
IMG_20230204_205535408_HDR.jpgIMG_20230204_182003680.jpg
IMG_20230204_205431922.jpg

View attachment 1055231View attachment 1055232View attachment 1055233
I fought the same problem yesterday. Would have went back after a hickory that's waiting on me on top of my everest but things were starting to get slimy.

Ive been thinking about investing in a sonic cleaner. maybe I should just bite the bullet and get one
So worth it. Don't know what I'd do without mine,well except a bigger one would be nice.
My son sent me this . I bought it for him for a Christmas present . Guess he needs to put in a warranty claimView attachment 1055100
Yikes! I had something similar happen with one if their camp axes. But I was driving that through a log with a sledge hammer too. Never tried the warranty as it was 100% my fault. Welded a pipe handle on it and never looked back.

Ive been looking for a 6 or 8 lb Fiskars. That's not a good selling point for me! 🤣
🤷 Just say'n.
The isocore handle is much heavier then the X series axes. I've umm whiffed a few times pretty hard and haven't broken it yet.

What size JD is that? I have clamp on forks for my China Loader and I would be happy if I had pre made 1/4 cord racks I could move with it. Being clamp on forks it puts the weight way forward.
JQ3YFdG.jpg
Clamp on forks suck. For picking heavier stuff up, not that my tractor can lift much to begin with, but I borrowed a set of clamp on forks to try out, and year was so worth waiting till I found a set of actual forks.
Does your tractor have quick attach? Does make it a lot easier and cheaper to fond forks..

Ha ha ha!👍 Nice! Yeah, At $6.00 to 7.00 a round. I don't think I'll ever fire my .416 at a squirrel! 🤣🤣 🤔 I'll probably use a 0.10 cent .22LR cartridge.

My .416 pretty much has one purposes brother. Stopping big pi**ed off Kodiak Brown Bear, wounded or not.
Coming my way hard and fast with the intent on taking my lunch money!!! 😉
That's why it has no optics mounted on it in place of the express sights.
Skinner Express?

Skinner Express?
Not familiar with Skinner Express sights, so I couldn't tell you. They are the Ruger factory express sights that come with the rifle. 🤔If Ruger uses Skinner Express sights on their rifles? Then yes! ☝️ They are indeed Skinner Express sights! 😉

So the fluid just comes back out the hose when the other cylinder is extending? are there valves to allow that?

It includes a big receiver type hitch with a plate on the end and chains hanging from it. I see that attaches to the lift cylinder on the truck mount, so I won’t need it.

It also has a steel strip in place of the rubber strip, I’ll have to switch it.

And at least one cylinder leaks.
Yes any standard valve will work a double acting cylinder will work just fine in this set up. If your worried about the cylinders drifting you can add a check valve.
http://www.princehyd.com/Products/Hydraulic-Valves/Flow-Control/Model-RD1400It may not be needed if the valve your using had load checks built into them. But beyond that just treat them like one double acting cylinder and they will work fine.

When you first posted about your arch fab, I was wondering what wheel/axles did you use and where did you get them?
They are an odd wheel and tire. I got them off a local cattle rancher.

The rim is about 10.5 inches across. The center hub is about 4" across. Bolt pattern is 5 studs at 3.25 inches from stud center to stud center.

The tire is made by Armstrong, is an industrial special purpose and about 20" across. Top tread pattern is 5" wide. They are rated to 125psi.

There are no axels. Just hubs and stubs.
You can see the ends of the stubs in the square tubing frame.
IMG_20230205_054010717_HDR.jpg

I think they were an airport equipment tire originaly, but Im not 100% certain.

Thats all the magic I got for ya right now bud.

IMG_20230205_045202736_HDR.jpgIMG_20230205_045537611_HDR.jpg

Im replacing the wheel bearings ad we speak.
IMG_20230205_054921303.jpg

Phil is most definitely one of the most credible Alaska big game guides I've heard of. Phil's "unwittingly commenting" quote is a famous one! Posted in many hunting magazines. I use it myself sometimes! 🤣🤣 He's absolutely right! Many many Alaska big game guides did carry an 06 for fifty plus years. Until the "Belted Magnum" was introduced.

"Any 30-06 class cartridge and bigger is sutiblle to hunt and take Kodiak Bear. Except the 7mm Magnum. I really don't like that cartridge for Brown Bear. You just have to riddle a bear with that round"
Morris Talifson
Last time I talked to Phil, he was still standing by his words, and as for belted magnums, they were out before the Nosler Partitions that both Phil and MANY others are sold on, were even invented, so belted magnums didn't change his mind and it hasn't changed mine either.

That 7 Rem. Mag comment is ridiculous! I've hunted with one for a time and tested bullets out of it extensively. Loaded with 175 NP's it's an amazing big bear rifle, that I've also seen easily kill a number of bears. It HAS to be another case of what Phil said!

You don't stop a charging bear (wounded or otherwise) by doing anything other than breaking it down, and a "properly loaded" 30-06 or 7 Rem. mag. will do that just as easily as a bigger cartridge/bullet does and even better than some. A 7 mag will out penetrate many of the .375 bullets out of a 375 H&H, and I've seen .458 bullets that didn't exit a bear on a side shot. I've read that same thing from guys who shot big lions with a 458/500 that didn't have full penetration too.

I've hunted with and killed big game with so many of these cartridges, along with testing bullets out of them, that sometimes the things I read on the net that guys post, just makes me shake my head!

SR

Back