Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a lot done out back yesterday, ran 3 tanks thru the ms200 rear handle, took out a bunch more trees that didn't look like a pond, and cleaned up a lot of smaller debris and the old deer stand in the big cherry tree out back. Had a nice fire and tossed a large chunk of elm on there from the tree I dropped in front of the barn last spring, that's still burning.
20230212_160832.jpg
20230212_150408.jpg
Got a few of these loads out and into the woodshed. Glad the family helped out for a couple hrs :yes:. There are 11 rows total in there when a side is full, we've used 5 full rows and a good part of the 6th and part of each of the 4 in the back section. Those back 4 are the longest rows, so we'll have a good bit left over this yr from the looks of it. Added one full row to the front and a decent sized bucket load to the just started split pile. Need to haul the splitter out there the next time we get some nice weather and I have time to get after it.
Still have some wood left that was split last spring that I could sell, and a couple cord ready for this fall. Most the cherry I had on the trailer last weekend will be cut and split to sell next fall (or earlier if people want it), and I have a pile of larger red oak and elm logs to buck and split/noodle as well. I plan on filling the shed with the rest of the wood I remove from the pond and saving the black locust log pile(2-3yrs worth) since they don't rot usually. I also still have more black locust to cut in the neighbors woods.
20230212_124635.jpg
20230212_161845.jpg

Got a lot done out back yesterday, ran 3 tanks thru the ms200 rear handle, took out a bunch more trees that didn't look like a pond, and cleaned up a lot of smaller debris and the old deer stand in the big cherry tree out back. Had a nice fire and tossed a large chunk of elm on there from the tree I dropped in front of the barn last spring, that's still burning.
View attachment 1057531
View attachment 1057530
Got a few of these loads out and into the woodshed. Glad the family helped out for a couple hrs :yes:. There are 11 rows total in there when a side is full, we've used 5 full rows and a good part of the 6th and part of each of the 4 in the back section. Those back 4 are the longest rows, so we'll have a good bit left over this yr from the looks of it. Added one full row to the front and a decent sized bucket load to the just started split pile. Need to haul the splitter out there the next time we get some nice weather and I have time to get after it.
Still have some wood left that was split last spring that I could sell, and a couple cord ready for this fall. Most the cherry I had on the trailer last weekend will be cut and split to sell next fall (or earlier if people want it), and I have a pile of larger red oak and elm logs to buck and split/noodle as well. I plan on filling the shed with the rest of the wood I remove from the pond and saving the black locust log pile(2-3yrs worth) since they don't rot usually. I also still have more black locust to cut in the neighbors woods.
View attachment 1057528
View attachment 1057529
Therapy!

You were about 2 miles away from me, you should have given a shout out and said hello!
I'll keep that in mind... Going back to the '80s I started "meeting" people on-line and the geographic locations of those folks were literally all over the map... As a result I seldom think about it when I'm on the road!

Gotta ask... are you the guy making a killing selling firewood through Home Depot? 😉

Well got our taxes done. Had enough deductions to keep uncle Sam from getting much. Many of you know I have an open air shop (no shop in other words.) My wife came to me and said she found a solution. Found these metal framed building kits for a very reasonable price. We went and measured where I have room to put a shop up. Should be able to fit a 24x27 in the area. Price was around $5k. It's just the frame, so it will need tin for the roof,and sides. I have plenty of that laying around. Depending on what our bonus is from work I may be able to pour a floor for it too. Won't find oit about that till mid March when they have the directors meeting. But at any rate things are looking good to get a little shop up.

Yes it does . It's basically the same 350 motor that's in my 72. The later 4.8 ,5.3 and 6.0 LS motors dont have cap and rotors
Should be a rollerized gen three engine. I'm bad with C2 C3 stuff also. 68-90 take all the same bearings rods and pistons. Valvetran changes, accessories and injection was pretty new on the Vortec setup through the 90s and it changed three times. I think in 2000 the fuel pump provisions for a mechanical system were phased out of the casting.

Husky or stihl flippy caps, or just hate the stihl flippys.
Three times your out. This was yesterday.
M****!
Third time in about a dozen years.
20230212_134637.jpg20230212_134640.jpg20230212_134643.jpg

I'm currently looking for the non flippy caps to fit Stihl chainsaws. The 361Mag puked on me yesterday.

I finally got those 6 trees bucked up along with 2 others that were stacked there. I should have kept track of the gas. I know I went thru at least 3 quarts of bar and chain oil out of a new gallon jug. I think almost 2 gallons of gas mix. Here is a before and after. The last picture is the entire pile of split and unspilt wood. Now I need to get to splitting and no more cutting.

Attachments

• 20230207_162403.jpg
    20230207_162403.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230213_111023.jpg
    20230213_111023.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230213_111040.jpg
    20230213_111040.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Kevin is a saw porter, and he is a little portly, so he refers to himself as sausage fingers. The XS stickers he puts on his saws stand for Xtra Sausage!

I have met him (at a GTG in PA) and run some of his creations (Stihl and Husky) and they run very well.
Ain't got nothing to do with being portly. He was a block layer forever. Those mitts are cast iron now. I've shook the hand of many masons and stone or brick layers.

My 327 in the 1968 Fleetside has a bad cam lobe . Going to pull the motor to refresh it . Had good compression 160-5 psi before the cam went so hopefully just a polish on the crank new bearings and rings for the lower and of course a new cam . I have a set of rebuilt heads ready for installation . View attachment 1057062
I've got two rollers sticks out sitting here that will never be used again.

Back