Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never understood why Stihl calls them 25" bars. The exact same bar is 24" for every other brand.
Germany Win GIF by World Cup
Stihl used to call them 24" bars, then changed the name w/o changing the bar. As far as I can figure, the reason they did this is so you won't notice the 28" bar is really a 27" bar. 20" bars are 20". (Measuring w/o dogs on most Stihl saws).

Stihl used to call them 24" bars, then changed the name w/o changing the bar. As far as I can figure, the reason they did this is so you won't notice the 28" bar is really a 27" bar. 20" bars are 20". (Measuring w/o dogs on most Stihl saws).

Maybe someone just measured the 25in bar when it was cold? :cold: 🤔

Random guess...boiling off sap? Amirite?

I have friends/family in NH and they have sent gallons of syrup over to us. The hideous pale and expensive slop you can buy here in supermarkets pales in comparison to the dark amber nectar we get. :sweet:

Cowgirl has planted a few sugar maples here but they are growing very slowly. I can't blame them, Aussie summers are hard.

Yep, stihl going. It's not huge (7 x 4.5 ft) but normally by the time I've filled it and the back of the Ranger I've just about had enough fun for one day. I put some light truck tyres on it several years ago.
What I hear you saying is that you're going to have to tell cowgirl that the trailer needs new tyres soon! ;)

All you guys talking about air bags and springs were your trucks not properly equipped? 2 tons in the bed and the factory overloads were just barely touching . Truck is 7400 pounds unloaded and the GVW is 10100 lbs so I was 1300 lbs over.The only limiting part on the truck is the tires . Guys I know have put 19s on these trucks to haul more . View attachment 1057813Truck has the heavier tow and plow package springs .plow has very little effect on the front View attachment 1057817
Properly equipped is subjective and buying used you don't get to spec a truck. My 96 f250 can do the same thing with or without the bags, but it rides and handles a heck of a lot better with bags. It's the HD 8800 lb model. Only difference is the Dana 50 ifs front axle where the 350 had the Dana 60 and up to 11k gvw.
Man I feel inadequate with my baby dogs on my MS400!🤏View attachment 1057818
They're sufficient for my needs. The Pro Safetys look mean but then I'd need to get a 24" bar. These work well with my 20" bar.
I have a new set of pro safty dogs for my 400. Put them on then took them right back off. Takes too much bar space up. They do look cool though.
My excursion has them too. Good amount of weight on the rear here, just the winch is probably 500+, then there's a bunch of other junk in my "trunk". I don't have them aired up much and just leave them there for the ride.
My springs should probably be re-arched, she sits pretty flat even without a trailer, and while there's a lot in the back, it seems like an f250 equivalent suspension would it a bit higher.
View attachment 1057820
Took this pic two Saturdays ago of the jack I put on this trailer last summer(we were talking about yours the week prior), really like it. It handles weight well, has the extendable leg(don't have to spin the handle for half an hr), and it wasn't made in china(insert trumps voice here :laugh:) .
View attachment 1057821
My uncle has a 02 f-250 crew can short bed. It sits pretty low with the factory springs. Always thought there was something wrong with it, but he claims it since it doesn't have the plow prep or off road package on it.
Basically, you take them off and hammer them back to the amount of arch that you want. Using a really massive vise, squeeze it down onto a block of steel that leaves about 3 inches of open air. Holding each leaf spring balanced on both sides of the vise, you bang on it with a big hammer to put the arch back into it. 5 to 8 pound sledges work great, particularly if you have a short handle.

Now the spring shops will have all kinds of hydraulic presses and spring reworking hammer devices, but all you need is some patience, a big hammer, and a really sturdy vise.

I didn't find any good youtube videos that depict this, but this one will give you the right idea. Please notice that the big block of steel they are hammering against has a concave surface to force the bend into the spring.

LOTS more methods; search google for "re-arch leaf springs with hammer".

clean, paint, and lube before you reassemble, too.

Made a jig up in my uncles mandrel bender to re arch springs. It works, just have to be real careful not to over do it, cracked a few leafs the first time we tried it.

I just installed pro safety felling dogs on my new 400. Would someone advise regarding the tiny circlip for the chain catcher. There's no groove in the chain catcher to receive it, all my circlip pliers are too big, and I'm sure I'll lose it in the woods if I have to remove the clutch cover to change a chain.
I looked at my 036. It doesn't have any grooves. I used a 7/32 socket to push it on. It was tight to get it on. I pulled my side cover off and it doesn't come off. It fits into the ceramic roller. Pic isn't the best. Hope this helps.
20230215_081401.jpg

Maintenance and repair costs for 3/4 + ton trucks over came my needs for them. I've only had "toy" 1/2 tons for the past 25 years. As they're mostly drivers not haulers I've been ok. Sometimes it takes two trips.
All about need . I cant do without 3500 my comment was mostly all the people around here that never open the tonneau.

All you guys talking about air bags and springs were your trucks not properly equipped? 2 tons in the bed and the factory overloads were just barely touching . Truck is 7400 pounds unloaded and the GVW is 10100 lbs so I was 1300 lbs over.The only limiting part on the truck is the tires . Guys I know have put 19s on these trucks to haul more . Truck has the heavier tow and plow package springs .plow has very little effect on the front
I've been hearing stuff like that for 45+ years... worked in a Ford dealership when I was a kid. Nobody seems to consider the brakes... But then again, after hanging out here for years I don't know if guys care if the brakes work or not, or how long and well they work, as long as it's got power and payload capacity. 😉 Me... after having a master cylinder rip loose from the rust rotted unibody of a VW bug while driving down a mountain one time; blowing a brake line in my Ford E250 van another time; and learning to drive in cars with barely adequate 4 wheel drum brakes, I like brakes that are big and strong enough for the job and work as designed... especially knowing there are overloaded vehicles with inadequate brakes on the road. o_O🤣

Well got our taxes done. Had enough deductions to keep uncle Sam from getting much. Many of you know I have an open air shop (no shop in other words.) My wife came to me and said she found a solution. Found these metal framed building kits for a very reasonable price. We went and measured where I have room to put a shop up. Should be able to fit a 24x27 in the area. Price was around $5k. It's just the frame, so it will need tin for the roof,and sides. I have plenty of that laying around. Depending on what our bonus is from work I may be able to pour a floor for it too. Won't find oit about that till mid March when they have the directors meeting. But at any rate things are looking good to get a little shop up.
@sean donato Know all about the open air shop, been using one for years. Of course that's because the ~900 sqft garage is full of sh*t err stuff valuable things I have un-carefully stored. Curious about details on the building kit.

I have no idea on these. My wild guesses:

With 113 pages of reviews and comments, that's a lot of material dedicated to a sticky.

I don't recall that this was ever a sticky. Others might know better. This shouldn't need to be a sticky anyway, since you guys are constantly keeping it at the top of the list.

I don't recall that this was ever a sticky. Others might know better.

I don't recall that this was ever a sticky. Others might know better.

Stickies are generally put up only as an advisory notice to the viewing public. They are most often locked, so that folks are not wasting time making them longer.

What is the chance you only thought they were stickies, since they were always at the top of the list from so many posts?

Leonard Nimoy Reaction GIF
I am not sure what you are trying to say here. These were all pinned to the top of the Firewood Forum (as well as running loads) and I know that for a fact as I was the one who pinned them there. They were pinned as they were the top most popular threads in here and made it easy for folks to visit them. The size of each thread is immaterial to the discussion-they were pinned so everyone could find them quickly.

Can we please have them repinned?

I am not sure what you are trying to say here. These were all pinned to the top of the Firewood Forum (as well as running loads) and I know that for a fact as I was the one who pinned them there. They were pinned as they were the top most popular threads in here and made it easy for folks to visit them. The size of each thread is immaterial to the discussion-they were pinned so everyone could find them quickly.

Probably increases scrolling time to increase ad revenue. Just a guess. I agree, pin them to the top.

I've been hearing stuff like that for 45+ years... worked in a Ford dealership when I was a kid. Nobody seems to consider the brakes... But then again, after hanging out here for years I don't know if guys care if the brakes work or not, or how long and well they work, as long as it's got power and payload capacity. 😉 Me... after having a master cylinder rip loose from the rust rotted unibody of a VW bug while driving down a mountain one time; blowing a brake line in my Ford E250 van another time; and learning to drive in cars with barely adequate 4 wheel drum brakes, I like brakes that are big and strong enough for the job and work as designed... especially knowing there are overloaded vehicles with inadequate brakes on the road. o_O🤣
Soo what’s your point ? My truck is rated to pull 17k . It has huge 4 wheel disc brakes that in an emergency where the trailer brakes fail are intended to stop the vehicle . Not as fast but the tow capacity factors in the truck brakes . I’ve replaced all the rubber lines ,calipers and rotors . And the rotors and calipers fit all the way up to the 5500 trucks which have way more payload than my truck . Even though I have the same springs and differentials and axles. They have 19 .5 inch tires .

I’ve had lines blow masters fail before also . Usually on vehicles I’ve purchased used where the prior owner did minimal repairs . Most people never flush braking system . I most often do it every three on my regular drivers every 5 to 7 on my classics which never see moist conditions

Stickies are pretty much the domain of the administration. I would suggest that you inquire of Arbor1 for an answer to that question. If I were to convert those into stickies, I'd probably get my butt chewed upon.

May I suggest that you consider using a feature of the website? Try bookmarking any threads that you wish to follow. Click on that little square icon in the top-right of any post. Having bookmarked that post, you can easily return to that thread by selecting your personal icon in the upper right of the webpage. Choose the "Bookmarks" tab on the right, and you will have all your bookmarked pages on display.

@sean donato Know all about the open air shop, been using one for years. Of course that's because the ~900 sqft garage is full of sh*t err stuff valuable things I have un-carefully stored. Curious about details on the building kit.
I'm currently narrowed down to a versa tube frame kit. Waiting on a few quotes yet. We were looking at finished kits that came with the tin and everything, but they were all a little over double the price of the versa tube frame kit. I have loads of tin laying around, so it shouldn't be an issue to finish it off.

On a less depressing note, I'm working on cleaning up an 025 that I picked up for $40. View attachment 1057665
I have at least 4 hanging in the garage and a couple inside. I think they're all complete, just haven't got to them yet. One of the 025s has a red lever, never have understood the significance of that although I see it mentioned a lot. I never realized how badazz these saws are until I worked for my buddy's tree service. We used 250 and 251s. Our climber preferred the old 192 to the 201. I gained a whole new respect for that little saw. I love my 200t but if I bought a new top handle today I wouldn't even consider the 201 with its high price point.

I have at least 4 hanging in the garage and a couple inside. I think they're all complete, just haven't got to them yet. One of the 025s has a red lever, never have understood the significance of that although I see it mentioned a lot. I never realized how badazz these saws are until I worked for my buddy's tree service. We used 250 and 251s. Our climber preferred the old 192 to the 201. I gained a whole new respect for that little saw. I love my 200t but if I bought a new top handle today I wouldn't even consider the 201 with its high price point.
Thats interesting, I cant stand a ms250 everyone I've ever touched has been junk, and I'd trade my 192tc for a 200/1 t in a heart beat. Like night and day power difference between the two and not much more in the weight department.

Latest posts

Back