Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol!

As much as I'd love an offset smoker I just don't have the time to babysit one. I have a Traeger and I love it. Everything I have done has been great. The only thing I wish it did was get hot enough to actually grill/sear.

Had to look up goanna. Looks delicious!
View attachment 1074688
🤢
Hm, but didn’t Mick Dundee say it tastes like ****?
😂

Not technically scrounged yet since it isn't at the place, but I got the two hackberries and the cherry cut and ready to load. Mostly used a craftoulanroper.View attachment 1074456
I'll never berate a saws age, or quality, or brand, or country of origin again.....so help me .....

Well fellers, did some blue collar scrounging today. Went out to the farm. Mitch told me he was going to push over a few trees for me but haven't got the word yet. I'm a bit concerned about my wood supplies for this year as I don't have enough for both me and the widow of my old cricket teammate for this year. So I went out to the farm to raid the burn piles and anything else that was lying around looking for a home.

This was first up. A half buried peppermint log and a smaller white gum log (candlebark or manna gum, can't tell which now).

13th Apr 1.jpg

13th Apr 2.jpg

I reckon that even with dodgy looking logs, you can often still make some ok looking firewood out of it. More than half filled the ute.

13th Apr 3.jpg

Drove up and around the corner and came across this peppermint branch.

13th Apr 4.jpg

Sliced that up and chucked it in. Came across another small burn pile. There was some nice solid peppermint in it.

13th Apr 5.jpg

Here's what I ended up with, couldn't fit it all in the ute without OVERLOADING.

13th Apr 6.jpg

Some of it is ok to burn this year, some will be for next year. It all helps.

Scrounge on :rock:

Actually the cutoff wheel cauterized it hardly bleed at all .
Ouch. Read about stories where cutoff wheels shattered and sent sharp pieces into heads. After that I don’t mess around, I wear eye pro, my chainsaw helmet with full face shield and ear muffs, welding jacket with leather sleeves and leather gloves lol.
I use the grinder all the time while welding and don’t want to give my wife ammo to say I need to be more careful

Not firewood related but anyone scrounge for metal? Used to have a great recycling place that sold metal for 27 cents a pound but they recently went out of business.
I bought 90k pounds of new steel at an auction for $1,200 a few years back....does that count?

Not firewood related but anyone scrounge for metal? Used to have a great recycling place that sold metal for 27 cents a pound but they recently went out of business.

I feel your pain. We used to go to a local scrapyard for metal and treasures about 3 Saturdays a month. He sold it to a corporate giant and now you're not even allowed in the yard.

I feel your pain. We used to go to a local scrapyard for metal and treasures about 3 Saturdays a month. He sold it to a corporate giant and now you're not even allowed in the yard.
Yeah I loved going there, never knew what I would find. My son liked to go too and see the huge piles of metal although I’m amazed they allowed kids to walk around.

The other scrap yards near me are the same, no one’s allowed to walk around the yard. Had I known they were going to close I would have stocked up
I bought 90k pounds of new steel at an auction for $1,200 a few years back....does that count?
Damn I’m jealous. That would have kept me busy the rest of my life. My HOA would have loved the huge pile of metal too

Ouch. Read about stories where cutoff wheels shattered and sent sharp pieces into heads. After that I don’t mess around, I wear eye pro, my chainsaw helmet with full face shield and ear muffs, welding jacket with leather sleeves and leather gloves lol.
I use the grinder all the time while welding and don’t want to give my wife ammo to say I need to be more careful
I too have had a couple explode on me this one just slipped . But it ends well ,get hurt buy a new tool . And it worked 100 times better . FE2F0B4D-C736-4698-BA38-02A469EFF803.jpegC23159AD-9F98-467C-9B5C-610B8421389A.jpeg

Ouch. That's gonna leave a mark.

(sorry:buttkick:).
Funny thing yesterday when I got in to the room for the stitches the front nurse came back to see the wound . She said “ I was expecting it to be much bigger “ my instant reply was “ I’ve had woman say that before “ she busted out laughing saying “I walked right into that one “

**** I thought my truck was rusty, it's in pristine shape compared to you nothern folks' vehicles. I always forget about my sawzall, maybe it's because I love seeing sparks when I cut things. Next tool for me is a Chinese made plasma cutter so I can see it explode while I'm cutting something.

Yes...the local metal supply store has a few boxes/drums with the cut ends/other smaller pieces of scrap. They still charge you, but it's wayyyy less than the normal price per foot for that amount of steel. I've gotten some good stuff from that box, I got a decent piece of 5/8" plate steel for a few bucks not to long ago.

Regardless of whether it's scrap or full length pieces of steel, they also give a discount for cash...I like that a lot.

I use my plasma cutter(Hobart airforce 40i) a lot for cutting off brackets, mounts, etc. You gotta use a bit of common sense with it, but it really speeds up those sorts of jobs. I'll finish it up with the grinding wheel on one of the angle grinders...preferably the big 7" Makita. I try to avoid the sawzall if I can, that's hell on my carpal tunnel.

Latest posts

Back