Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This reminded me of something from my youth.... There was a insert in our local newspaper promoting the Evelyn Wood Speed Reading Course. It was to be used in conjunction with a companion live radio demonstration on how the process worked. Me, thinking such a skill would help me get my homework done a lot faster followed along to learn the basics of the technique. It worked! My reading speed went way up! I could blast through articles and text book chapters really quickly.... The downside was I couldn't remember a dammed thing about what I read. Apparently I needed the whole course for that part. 🤣

I really like the Kennedy boxes. This Kennedy was a freebie, only the top...I made the base out of square stock and MDF...not the coolest lower to a toolbox, but it does the job. I keep my porting tools in the Kennedy.

View attachment 1076613

I've had a bit of good luck with toolboxes over the years, this is a Craftsman I got for $25 from a yard sale. It's pretty cheap construction, but $25 is $25. I keep my machining tools, end mills, cutters, etc in it.
View attachment 1076614

My main box, the upper and lower were bought at separate times when either one was on sale. Anything Craftsman gets a lot of hate today, but it's actually a pretty nice box. Much heavier construction than the $25 Craftsman and fairly nice soft close drawers.
View attachment 1076612
i like those decals!!! 🤩
:givebeer:

I really like the Kennedy boxes. This Kennedy was a freebie, only the top...I made the base out of square stock and MDF...not the coolest lower to a toolbox, but it does the job. I keep my porting tools in the Kennedy.
my 526 did not come with the front cover. :nofunny: but, nbd. Kennedy offers a new one. may or may not fit they say! prob make one DIY. imo, it needs a front cover, if for no other reason - the look! ez enuff. cut to size, some good cardboard for a start. add a bottom tab. then let top locator pins find their mark. add a pull knob. pce of wood so has oem look. there was one on eslay couple days ago. not a 526, but about same size. starting bid was $139.95! free shppg. not a bad deal. had keys and front cover. i saw it before i scrounged up my local 526. but passed as was sure seller had a reserve. and so even at $300 or more (nice one) it would not sell as.... did not meet reserve. but no reserve. 1 bidder won. no complaints here. my craftsman/kennedy's i had during machine shop days bot new, i always had the front cover stowed... lol. so wtf??
:givebeer:

drop front $75 with tax/shpg
1682003225139.png

https://buykennedy.com/product/drop-front-526/
top pad, drawer liners and front drop panel would have run m2 close to $300 or more from K mfg. tool co. :omg:

budget buster for my project! 🤩

From the Carlisle spring Facebook page for ya. Perfect weather till Saturday evening.
View attachment 1076633View attachment 1076634View attachment 1076635
i sure do like seeing that '36 Ford front grill shell! 😎 👍👍

now the :drinkingcoffee: is gone... and so is my DIY'd L-88 3 window 1936 coupe...

but i have the mems, the scrapbook... and had the exp. what a ride! back when best gasoline's were cheap! ha, i grumbled at 28-cents for Chevron white pump!!! some rides i prob wish i still had, and as such that would be one of them!

i like old Fords, and i still have my '30 A roadster!

(not for sale, taking it with me when the time comes!! 🤩)

View attachment 1076613

I've had a bit of good luck with toolboxes over the years, this is a Craftsman I got for $25 from a yard sale. It's pretty cheap construction, but $25 is $25. I keep my machining tools, end mills, cutters, etc in it.
View attachment 1076614

My main box, the upper and lower were bought at separate times when either one was on sale. Anything Craftsman gets a lot of hate today, but it's actually a pretty nice box. Much heavier construction than the $25 Craftsman and fairly nice soft close drawers.
View attachment 1076612
U mite need a little more toolbox to go with all those stickers. :dancing:

This reminded me of something from my youth.... There was a insert in our local newspaper promoting the Evelyn Wood Speed Reading Course. It was to be used in conjunction with a companion live radio demonstration on how the process worked. Me, thinking such a skill would help me get my homework done a lot faster followed along to learn the basics of the technique. It worked! My reading speed went way up! I could blast through articles and text book chapters really quickly.... The downside was I couldn't remember a dammed thing about what I read. Apparently I needed the whole course for that part. 🤣

Don't know anything about Evelyn Wood, but I got put in a speed reading course when I was 11 or 12 (think it might have been my dad's idea). It worked in my case. I can zoom thru text, and I do retain what I'm reading. Sometimes if there's something preying on my mind, distracting me, I may have to reread a page.

so, what would this be used for that a regular concrete saw wouldn’t do?
making cookies out of petrified wood? 🤪
I use a saw similar to this for cutting concrete and ductile iron underground water pipe. Much easier to cut throught a 10" water main like you would saw a log than having to make all the room for the demo saw to get to the bottom of the pipe.

The winter of 22-23 snowed itself into immortality overnight for Duluth. The winter of 95-96 is universally regarded as the worst winter ever in this area because it set records for snow levels and many cold records for both temperatures and durations in the same year. This year‘s temperatures were very moderate by comparison, but Duluth ended up picking up several snowfall’s that were intended for northern Minnesota and pushed south for whatever reason. I counted five separate snow storms that they received that we did not.

We don’t have much snow left in the woods and the water levels in the lake or on the low side of average. However it could be very rainy and raise that quickly.

The other interesting thing is the winter of 11 to 12 was one of the most mild ever and then 12 to 13 and 13 to 14 ended up being some of the snowiest ever

4C60B510-C256-43D2-9157-DFD7A52E1FFC.jpeg

I work in Carlisle. Hate the car show traffic! The import show was especially bad with all the squibs with their fart cans on pieces of shizz. The truck show is next with all the diesels rollin coal all through town. The Ford, GM, Corvette, and regular flea markets aren't as bad, but still makes it hard to get around.

Wasn't sure which events you came to. I'm probably only doing the Ford nationals and the Truck nationals. They are selling a pretty rare corvette tomorrow at the collector auction.
https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/news/...for-the-spring-carlisle-collector-car-auction
99% sure I’ll be at the truck show in August . I did go to the fall swap meet last year too
I work in Carlisle. Hate the car show traffic! The import show was especially bad with all the squibs with their fart cans on pieces of shizz. The truck show is next with all the diesels rollin coal all through town. The Ford, GM, Corvette, and regular flea markets aren't as bad, but still makes it hard to get around.
I’ll be there no rolling coal though . Just a nice mellow small block sound

I’ll rebuild the 327 at a later date as it’s a 4 bolt main high nickel motor
Chevy never made a 4bolt main 327 engine. They made the large journal 327 in 1968 and they made the 350 in 1967 as a large journal engine for camaros, heard rumors of it being a 4bolt, but have never seen one. Also in 68 chevy did away with the 283 and made the 307. The 307 used the 283 bore and the 327 crank. The old school trick for building a 302 was using a small journal 283 crank in a small journal 327 block for most of us that couldnt afford a real 302. Chevy only built a little over 600 302s in 1967.

Don't know anything about Evelyn Wood, but I got put in a speed reading course when I was 11 or 12 (think it might have been my dad's idea). It worked in my case. I can zoom thru text, and I do retain what I'm reading. Sometimes if there's something preying on my mind, distracting me, I may have to reread a page.
If I'd had taken an entire course it probably would have been useful. As I recall, JFK was a speed reader... Would have been in good company. 😉

Latest posts

Back