Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No scrounging for me lately need to get my truck done .Started to rework the 59 year old 50 cal box for the side but it was too much of a project so I bought a new one . Not sure if it will be body color or satin black but the holes are drilled and its temporarily mounted View attachment 1082035this is the inside of the old box lidView attachment 1082036

Also got this ad for an awesome multi purpose wheelbarrow on accuweather today :laugh: :innocent: View attachment 1082038
gosh!! and ONLY 220.00 clams!!!!! such a bargain!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a nice setup. Mine you have to unscrew just to drain it, nowhere near as convenient. I drained mine last weekend before adding more fuel, it's been running great. Last night I got another 8 gallons for it, that should get me close to the top of the dam built, about 8hrs of run time.
Here's where it's currently at, added another 25-30 buckets last night. I'd like to get a total of about 6" on the top of the dam this morning, but if my work calls I'll be heading in. The last bit got poured on so that's settled in pretty good, next rain is predicted for Friday so I'm trying to get another layer down before then.
View attachment 1081898
This one is taken from a good bit rather back, hard to see with the shadows.
View attachment 1081885
Tried to get two from the left side to show the slope/grade on the back side of the dam. I added a bunch of buckof topsoil to it last weekend where the grade is set, about 15' of the lower side of the dam, the top is pretty flat now, so it will be a while before I add anymore topsoil.
View attachment 1081886
View attachment 1081887
And from the right side.View attachment 1081889
What we’ll be the water source for the pond?

That's a nice setup. Mine you have to unscrew just to drain it, nowhere near as convenient. I drained mine last weekend before adding more fuel, it's been running great. Last night I got another 8 gallons for it, that should get me close to the top of the dam built, about 8hrs of run time.
Here's where it's currently at, added another 25-30 buckets last night. I'd like to get a total of about 6" on the top of the dam this morning, but if my work calls I'll be heading in. The last bit got poured on so that's settled in pretty good, next rain is predicted for Friday so I'm trying to get another layer down before then.
View attachment 1081898
This one is taken from a good bit rather back, hard to see with the shadows.
View attachment 1081885
Tried to get two from the left side to show the slope/grade on the back side of the dam. I added a bunch of buckof topsoil to it last weekend where the grade is set, about 15' of the lower side of the dam, the top is pretty flat now, so it will be a while before I add anymore topsoil.
View attachment 1081886
View attachment 1081887
And from the right side.View attachment 1081889
How big is your pond going to be? Pics deceptively make it look small.

I once filled a pool by just re-directing one of the four downspouts on my house. Worked way better than I expected.

Amazing how much water goes through your gutters.
hi MM -

i thot that last nite as i waited for the hot water to turn warming.... for a nice post-PM lawn mowing shower....

The utility lines along my driveway through the woods is my own maintenance responsibility. I am not complaining, I have more times than I can remember felt particularly blessed to have a 1500' driveway through the woods that preserves my privacy. But, those same trees do exact a toll on the lines when they take a mind to fall over. I had two very large oak trees along my drive that died in the past couple years. They have the possibility of falling the wrong way taking out my lines, and leaving me gassing my generator while calling around to find a private contractor to fix my lines.

Here are the two potential trouble makers:

IMG_2755.jpg

While I often feel confident in my directional felling, these are too close to my power and cable lines. The trees are growing more or less in the middle of the very narrow strip between my driveway and the edge of my property. So, I can't line them 180° away from the utility lines. Rather I'd have to pull them parallel to the lines. I won't even consider it. So, I engaged a Tree Trimming service, and got a bid to trim the whole line through the woods. This is what it looked like yesterday:

IMG_2756.jpg

Two guys and a bucket truck showed up and worked together to trim my drive, and to take down those two trees:

IMG_2766.jpg

Now that the weather is hot! I have some scrounging to do - up the hill and along the driveway:

IMG_2770.jpg

No scrounging for me lately need to get my truck done

I got you, man.

Unloaded the ute from Thursday's scrounging this morning. 10 cubes or so stacked in front of the shed, maybe a touch under as dry bits in the scrounge I've picked out and burned in the morning/evening fires we've been having.

13th May 1.jpg

13th May 2.jpg

Going to kick a ball with Cowlad for a bit then sharpen up the saws and get scrounging again, it is a lovely day for it today.

Back