Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100% agree, but you come to a point where its still a pickup truck trying to do what it shouldn't. I'll have to find the article and post it up, where a gm rep said they are at a happy point with their light duty truck line up, they would have to beef up the frame and other components to take advantage of more power and weight. Kinda a diminishing return on investment with the sky high cost of mfg and sales price.
Really they are all quite impressive these days. Who would have thought you could get a 36k lb gcwr in a 3500/4500 chassis truck? I was pretty amazed beck in the early 2000's when ford said both the f250 and 350 could gcwr 26klbs. My 96 is tanked at 18klbs. Not from lack of power either. Brakes, frame and axles limit it.

Edit: here's that article.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/gmauth...amax-diesel-engine-rumor-fact-or-fiction/amp/
I agree with you 100%. You are asking for a death wish hauling that kind of weight behind a 7K - 8K truck. If the trailer brakes fail you are really screwed. My standard cab Ram 2500 6.4 hemi 4x4 weighs in at 6800lbs. The towing capacity is around 13K if I recall correctly. The most I have ever towed was 7K. It felt like it wasn't even there except when pulling a hill.

I have one of them too, the problem with the Savages is, most of them don't/didn't have both bbls regulated to the sights, and that's a BIG deal to me.

The 2400's fixed that problem.

SR
That’s good information. I have a scope on my 24 sighted in for the rifle barrel and you could barely hit paper at 30 yards with a slug from the shotgun barrel.

oil cap on my 462 was leaking this morning. But most of the problems I've had on them were somewhat self inflicted, not getting the cap on properly or as with this one most likely because the saw/cap is dirty. They aren't the worse design in the world, but they are overly complex, especially compared to a husky flippy cap.

oil cap on my 462 was leaking
When refilling, the cap often rests on the muffler melting a crease in it. A new to me, only a couple tanks through 462C had the cap melted and it was leaving a puddle, new cap, prollum solved.
After trying the new saw
KIMG5716.JPG
we (she) split
KIMG5738.JPG
hauled
KIMG5736.JPG
KIMG5722.JPG
and stacked the cherry.

That’s good information. I have a scope on my 24 sighted in for the rifle barrel and you could barely hit paper at 30 yards with a slug from the shotgun barrel.
Old articles, as it's a bit older tech these days, but heres what you need. They aren't designed for multiple barrel use, but it would be a great application for it, red dot(I prefer green) for the shotgun, and scope sighted for the rifled barrel.
https://soldiersystems.net/2018/03/...or-geissele-super-precision-scope-mount-30mm/https://defensereview.com/ams-machi...-degree-offset-mount-for-mini-red-dot-sights/They use similar systems/mounts for 3 gun competitions, fast and accurate at shorter distances, with both 45 and 90 degree mounts for the red dot.

Old articles, as it's a bit older tech these days, but heres what you need. They aren't designed for multiple barrel use, but it would be a great application for it, red dot(I prefer green) for the shotgun, and scope sighted for the rifled barrel.
https://soldiersystems.net/2018/03/...or-geissele-super-precision-scope-mount-30mm/https://defensereview.com/ams-machi...-degree-offset-mount-for-mini-red-dot-sights/They use similar systems/mounts for 3 gun competitions, fast and accurate at shorter distances, with both 45 and 90 degree mounts for the red dot.

So if I am understanding, the top optic would be for rifle barrel and side would be for shotgun?

When refilling, the cap often rests on the muffler melting a crease in it. A new to me, only a couple tanks through 462C had the cap melted and it was leaving a puddle, new cap, prollum solved.
After trying the new saw
View attachment 1149852
we (she) split
View attachment 1149850
hauled
View attachment 1149851
View attachment 1149853
and stacked the cherry.
Kinda looks like my sled! Took my 365xt for a final spin yesterday afternoon before boxing it up and shipping it off to it's new home. Besides the floppy caps, how do you like your 462?

20240201_160442.jpg

Here's a pict. of the "rumor" 8.3L Duramax,

8-3-Duramax.jpg

600 HP, 1200 torque.

SR

These fireplaces are all central to the house. There is one huge chimney that has all 3 fireplaces going into it. All the fireplace flues went into one main chimney. Around 2000 we had that main chimney rebuilt with a separate flue for each fireplace. In the kitchen that we think was added on back when they made soapstone sinks we found a dug well under the floor. There is an old cookstove in there with a separate chimney. There used to be an original ice box in there. Up the hill across the street on our woodlot is where there are two gravity feed wells that fed the house until about 2006. We installed an artesian well at that time. I upgraded the house to a 200 amp service at that time also. I'll have to check out that link. Your old house ed is huge. Our farm is a saltbox cape. I'll post a picture up soon of it.
Our old house was also a mish-mash. Interesting exercise trying to figure out what was done when. It also had a kitchen ell addition off the back. There was a natural gas stove with kerosene end heater (probably converted from wood) in the kitchen and early 1900's looking plumbing. The laundry room behind that had a soapstone set tub where we kids had our baths. The electric service was 115V only and, I think, 30A. The heat was an enormous coal boiler that had been converted to oil. Most of that got updated over the 20 years my father owned the place.

At some point my father realized there was an inaccessible space between the back of the hall closet and the side of the cooking fireplace. He poked a hole and discovered a tiny room which was apparently a place to keep a patient warm in cold weather.

The old house bug skipped my generation, but my daughter is fixing up an 1830's cape in mid-coast Maine. It's interesting that the architecture is appropriate for its age, but the construction looks older. Probably a function of its relative remoteness when it was built.

Kinda looks like my sled! Took my 365xt for a final spin yesterday afternoon before boxing it up and shipping it off to it's new home. Besides the floppy caps, how do you like your 462?

View attachment 1149932
Don't know yet? saw in my pic is the 261C I went crazy this winter! sharpened the chain on the 462C but haven't touched wood yet. Fingers crossed.

So if I am understanding, the top optic would be for rifle barrel and side would be for shotgun?
That's what I would do. I wouldn't be making a very long shot with a shotgun anyway, and a red dot would do great for deer. Not sure what other options there are other than 45 degree sights, which mount similarly, unfortunately for me, my eyesight isn't what it once was. I like the green dot's for quick acquisition, but you're young, so a nice peep sight might be nice for you.
Lots of options, just have to have the right scope mount.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/s/45-degree-iron-sights

Well boys tomorrow I’ll be trying to take a large chunk outta my brother in-laws wood pile

I’ve assembled a team of helpers, I’ll try and take some pictures.
I plan on doing some cutting myself, first time in a while, hope I didn't forget how :oops:. A friend of ours had a good sized maple come down at here place, her son cut the driveway open, now the rest needs diced up. No plans to bring any home, lots of wood already here.

Don't know yet? saw in my pic is the 261C I went crazy this winter! sharpened the chain on the 462C but haven't touched wood yet. Fingers crossed.
I was wheelin' and dealin' to buy a new 572xp, but ended up horse trading for a 462. It should be here next week, so once again, fingers crossed.

For you cast iron guys.
"I have claimed the uncontested record of the Dutch oven stacking @ 10. I want to see it beat.
This one is several hams, scalloped potatoes, corn bread and honey butter. It was dinner for 60.
I lived in fear of the stack falling over for at least an hour."

1706958181651.png
"

Back