Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm early 70's, eyes acting up. I don't shoot much anymore. I've got a number of firearms and a lot of reloading equipment and supplies. If (when) my time comes the wife would trash a lot of it with no idea of the value. I can't/don't use it much anymore and it's coming time to accept reality and pass it along. Just hard to accept that reality.
A former co-worker and friend died of cancer and left a large collection. Many 17th - 19th century muzzle loaders, 19th and 20th century SxS shotguns and single shot rifles, MGs and Sub-MGs, and various 20th century handguns and other long guns . The “good” stuff was in a large walk in vault, other stuff was in his shop. His wife sat on it for a few years and then had his son sell it all off… Another friend has an extensive collection… he’s 85 now (?) and he’s never mentioned a liquidation plan. Both of these guys have recognizable names, and big collections, but in the end you cannot take it with you. With that in mind I’ve given a lot of stuff to my sons… though I don’t plan to go anywhere soon you never know!

A former co-worker and friend died of cancer and left a large collection. Many 17th - 19th century muzzle loaders, 19th and 20th century SxS shotguns and single shot rifles, MGs and Sub-MGs, and various 20th century handguns and other long guns . The “good” stuff was in a large walk in vault, other stuff was in his shop. His wife sat on it for a few years and then had his son sell it all off… Another friend has an extensive collection… he’s 85 now (?) and he’s never mentioned a liquidation plan. Both of these guys have recognizable names, and big collections, but in the end you cannot take it with you. With that in mind I’ve given a lot of stuff to my sons… though I don’t plan to go anywhere soon you never know!
I’m gonna be 43 this spring

My wife knows if anything happens to me, she can turn to my uncle, my best friend or my brother in-law to make sure she gets a good deal on my collection

I own a decent amount, sadly, there a few I haven’t even shot!!

Then there are some, I’ve just test fired…

And yet, I’d always be happy to add to the collection 😉

Those are some thumpers! Beautiful rifles, did you build them?
I ordered custom barrels from X-calber and installed em myself.... which is no great feat on a Savage rifle.
I like long rifles!
A couple of my favorites.
28" .22lr and a 32" 45-7020240309_144525.jpg20240309_144552.jpg

I love to let friends shoot this one with good stout handloads.....it leaves some fine shoulder bruises....😁
20240309_142522.jpg20240309_142533.jpg20240309_142530.jpg20240309_142558.jpg

I have not started giving anything away yet (despite Matt's urging!), but I have stopped buying more, and each of my two oldest Grandsons have a favorite they have taken deer with.

The 17 year old likes my Winchester Model 70 Black Shadow in 270 Win Short Mag, and my 14 year old Grandson likes my Ruger American Rifle in 30-06.

The Ruger American Rifle is an early one, and is a little different than current production. The barrel is about 1/4" longer, radiused in the front (instead of recessed), and the new ones have a flat spot on the bolt. The new barrels are also a touch thicker, but mine shoots very well.

Luckily, my exercise routine seems to be making my back stronger the last few years, so I think I still have some time left on the meter!

I have not started giving anything away yet (despite Matt's urging!), but I have stopped buying more, and each of my two oldest Grandsons have a favorite they have taken deer with.

The 17 year old likes my Winchester Model 70 Black Shadow in 270 Win Short Mag, and my 14 year old Grandson likes my Ruger American Rifle in 30-06.

The Ruger American Rifle is an early one, and is a little different than current production. The barrel is about 1/4" longer, radiused in the front (instead of recessed), and the new ones have a flat spot on the bolt. The new barrels are also a touch thicker, but mine shoots very well.

Luckily, my exercise routing seems to be making my back stronger the last few years, so I think I still have some time left on the meter!
Yeah, when my cousins started having boys….
I figured I’d have to start sharing 🤣

What’s that Stihl doing in the picture,no luv for Hoosky, Lol 😆 👍, yea I know I’m not loyal either, lol 😆
Had it out to dissect the smaller box elder, and it wasn't gonna saw any time to go get another saw in the barn as it was so far away lol. It had a bit of trouble reaching thru on a couple cuts, so I had to walk to the other side on one and reach over top on another, but we got it done.
Now to get my little pile of rounds up front split and then start on the bigger pile. It started raining Friday when I had planned to start on it, looks like nice weather tomorrow evening for it, they're saying a high of 54, and with the time change here I'll be able to work outside til probably 730 before it gets dark :happy:.

Had it out to dissect the smaller box elder, and it wasn't gonna saw any time to go get another saw in the barn as it was so far away lol. It had a bit of trouble reaching thru on a couple cuts, so I had to walk to the other side on one and reach over top on another, but we got it done.
Now to get my little pile of rounds up front split and then start on the bigger pile. It started raining Friday when I had planned to start on it, looks like nice weather tomorrow evening for it, they're saying a high of 54, and with the time change here I'll be able to work outside til probably 730 before it gets dark :happy:.
The weather my way has been real crap , rain , every other day , got 11/2 rain last night and possible snow flurries this evening,

The weather my way has been real crap , rain , every other day , got 11/2 rain last night and possible snow flurries this evening,
Hoping tomorrow will be a getrdun sort of afternoon/ evening, we'll see if I can avoid sitting down too long when I get done with work lol. Snow here last night, should be gone later today, and what isn't by morning, surely will be tomorrow. That being said, it's not even April, so we could still get a foot of it 😀. No matter as there's plenty of other projects to get done n I've still got probably 20 trees on the back half of the property to cut from the big storm last summer, and a bunch at the neighbor I share a drive with. I should probably buy a bandsaw mill, because I've already got a crap-ton of firewood.

I need a 22lr lever that takes a mag lol, I hate tube fed, the ole 60 shoots great, but that dang tube.
Have you seen the lever AR's.

Well.. since you asked my opinion......🙄

Mag fed lever?.....🤨 Blasphemy!!!!

"Lever AR"👎👎👎👎👎 more Blasphemy!!!!

I love tube feed 22's!

Mags are despised at my house.....the idea of an appendage sticking off my gun an right angles is no okay with me.

Here's something that's going under the hammer.....I really dislike these awkward un-ergonomic things....ar-10...20240309_142836.jpg

Latest posts

Back