Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put NEW blades in my planer today, talk about it now making a smooooooth cut,

Resized-20240315-143515-S.jpg

SO, with the old blades out, I got out my knife grinder,
What is that, soft maple? It's pretty.

I put NEW blades in my planer today, talk about it now making a smooooooth cut,

Resized-20240315-143515-S.jpg

SO, with the old blades out, I got out my knife grinder,

Resized-20240315-153053-S.jpg

and sharpened them, and set them aside, I should be all set for a while now!

SR
What kind of blade sharpener is that? I have the Makita blade sharpener—has a water cooling/swarf clearing drip system.

What kind of blade sharpener is that? I have the Makita blade sharpener—has a water cooling/swarf clearing drip system.
I had the Makita, it was sloooower than slow! This one is a Grizzly, it came with the planer that I bought used, it does do a good job with reasonable speed.

As for the board, it's American Blk. Cherry... A light colored board out of a tree I milled some time ago...

SR

I got a whole deck last year. Felt like Christmas!!! Tons of solid 2X8's
We got pretty much rain yesterday and the log yard was too soggy for a 2WD truck. He did have wood chips spread around in places which firmed the ground up some. When I got this load, I was able to drive half way to the lumber pile and carry it to my truck. Tomorrow is burn day. So I'll run out there tomorrow and take a bunch of 2x6s and stack them out of the way. My truck and trailer are full of smoking wood I'm dropping off early. Once empty, I'll run back out there.

Going by EBAY, guys are asking anywhere from $300-$450 for barrels similar to mine. The subject did not come up at work today, but I'm quite c ertain he don't want it that bad.
That is the trouble, they are so hard to find that when you do find them, they are not much different in price than buying a whole new gun with one. Of course, they also seem to be unavailable at the time, but I did see them last hunting season at Cabelas.

I had the Makita, it was sloooower than slow! This one is a Grizzly, it came with the planer that I bought used, it does do a good job with reasonable speed.

As for the board, it's American Blk. Cherry... A light colored board out of a tree I milled some time ago...

SR
Yeah… the stone that comes with the Makita is too fine. I mostly use the accessory coarse stone and save the fine one for the very end of the job. However, in some cases I just use the coarse one. For example, i recently sharpened the knife for a wood chipper. No point in making that too fine!

Yeah… the stone that comes with the Makita is too fine. I mostly use the accessory coarse stone and save the fine one for the very end of the job. However, in some cases I just use the coarse one. For example, i recently sharpened the knife for a wood chipper. No point in making that too fine!
I had the optional stones for mine too, I still wasn't happy with it, so I sent it down the road.

SR

Rifled slug barrels for the 870 have been very hard to find. I see some complete guns with them, but no one seems to have just the barrel for sale.

I have an 870 and my daughter's household has 2 in 12 ga and one in 20 ga.
Don’t forget, I gave her my slug barrel for hers

But it’s smooth with a screw in choke. The thought when I was 15 was to use it for turkey loads too…

I've never seen anyone ***** so much. The last time we camped with them, she ragged my BIL from morning until bedtime. 'Do this', 'get me that', 'No, I said .....'. And BIL just took it. I know what I'd say... F Off! You're probably right, negative energy.
We all got at least ONE of those sisters

I thank God every day for my BIL, took that off my hands when she got divorced I became the main firewood getter and male role model

Then came the savior, Bill…..

Lots of these "box store" splitter have gone to non adjustable return detents and non adjustable reliefs. It's a cost thing I guess. But me in the arse last summer, had a leakage issue with the valve I had on my splitter and tossed a used one on. Shortly afterwards I had retraction issues where it would kick out early. Took the rear cover off and it's just a spring with no easy way to adjust it. Stupid design. Would have taken full disassembly and finding shims to get it to work right. Bought a new adjustable valve and moved on with life. Last time I use a valve with that style detent.
I have a Cross brand adjustable valve on my homemade splitter that I built back in the 80's. It has been flawless.

I've never seen anyone ***** so much. The last time we camped with them, she ragged my BIL from morning until bedtime. 'Do this', 'get me that', 'No, I said .....'. And BIL just took it. I know what I'd say... F Off! You're probably right, negative energy.
F.O. for sure for her. Drop her off in the waste disposal site on the way home. Tell her to call Uber for a ride back to her parents. That word for that woman is, Can't Understand Normal Thinking

Latest posts

Back