Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The slag is definitely more than 3/8 chips. It’s around $30 a ton delivered here for the township
I'd take slag as a base, top with something else finer, but is cost prohibitive around here. Driveways/pads don't do well with clean stone, you don't get the tight compaction for a solid base. Main reason 2A or even 3A modified stone is used. They are "dirty" meaning they are crushed for a maximum size and the rest is left in the mix. For whatever reason, 2A is more popular, even though 3A makes for a better base and finishes nearly as well. (3A has up to 3" stone in it.) 2A being so popular for driveways, road base, foundations etc keeps the cost down. 3/8" or 1/2" don't compact well unless stone dust is added and makes a poor base material. We do use 1/2" clean stone around pipes if we want a bit of drainage in the ditch. Still topped up with 2A as a cap, then whatever over the top, dirt, black top. I gotta put in for materials for the shop next week, then I'll have to order another load of 2A, so I'll find out what the going rate is. I expect it to be around $17 ton delivered.

Thanks. I sent an inquiry to them and to williams. Will see if there is any response beside "What is a Model 24? or. "buy a new rifle and scrap that junk." The second is the response of the Stihl dealer when I took in my 015; only "saw" was in the place of "rifle."
I know they have a sight that will fit the existing rear sight groove of a 24 because I have looked at one for mine. (I currently have a scope.)

got us a $321 refund this morning !!!!!! we paid 1199 for our CL 25T splitter the 7th of the month (3 weeks ago) . saw a post on the facebook Countyline Log Splitter Owners page about them being on sale and decided to check to see if there was any difference at out bluefield WV store and they had it for 899.99 ! just got back from getting the refund (300 + tax) so it is a good friday . :)
https://www.tractorsupply.com/.../countyline-25-ton-log...

got us a $321 refund this morning !!!!!! we paid 1199 for our CL 25T splitter the 7th of the month (3 weeks ago) . saw a post on the facebook Countyline Log Splitter Owners page about them being on sale and decided to check to see if there was any difference at out bluefield WV store and they had it for 899.99 ! just got back from getting the refund (300 + tax) so it is a good friday . :)
https://www.tractorsupply.com/.../countyline-25-ton-log...
I got one at $899 a month ago. Glad that you got a refund.
Hi All-Too many pages to read right now. Hope all is well with you guys.
And not even any posts from BL.:laugh:

Does anyone have any experience with the 3 liter diesel engine that gmc uses in their sierra 1500 truck. I’m looking at new trucks and looks like they get good mileage on them. I’ve seen lots of reports of problems with the 5.3 v8 lifter issues so think I want to stay away from it. Thanks
I have a 5.3 in my work truck, we looked at lifter issues. There a couple of ways to disable the Active Fuel Management system, anecdotally it helps. My truck is a COVID chip shortage truck, so that system isn't on it.

A couple of people that work for me have the 3.0 Duramax and love it. The first guy had an issue with starter run on, his is a first year truck, but GMC fixed that with a recall. It appears that they have the bugs worked out. He really likes it, and says it tows well, he has enough power to tow larger loads than he has suspension or brakes for in a 1500. If it had been available for me to order when I got my truck I would have bought it. I had to take a truck that was ordered and then the agency had to back out because of budget issues, my old truck died and we decided to quit sinking money into it.

I will probably retire before I need to replace mine, but I think that's the way I would go.

Fill your oil sump too much and don’t want to put the cap back on and make the mess. Suck some out with an old gear oil bottle.View attachment 1165041
I tilt mine up to pre lube the bar and chain if it is over filled. My saws get dirty all the time. What's a little extra oil.

I'd take slag as a base, top with something else finer, but is cost prohibitive around here. Driveways/pads don't do well with clean stone, you don't get the tight compaction for a solid base. Main reason 2A or even 3A modified stone is used. They are "dirty" meaning they are crushed for a maximum size and the rest is left in the mix. For whatever reason, 2A is more popular, even though 3A makes for a better base and finishes nearly as well. (3A has up to 3" stone in it.) 2A being so popular for driveways, road base, foundations etc keeps the cost down. 3/8" or 1/2" don't compact well unless stone dust is added and makes a poor base material. We do use 1/2" clean stone around pipes if we want a bit of drainage in the ditch. Still topped up with 2A as a cap, then whatever over the top, dirt, black top. I gotta put in for materials for the shop next week, then I'll have to order another load of 2A, so I'll find out what the going rate is. I expect it to be around $17 ton delivered.
I agree. You want the fines in there for a top coat so it will pack down. Around here 1” minus is what is usually used. The slag we use is 1/2” and we spread it on the oil on the road. It’s not nearly as dusty as the rock either

I have a 5.3 in my work truck, we looked at lifter issues. There a couple of ways to disable the Active Fuel Management system, anecdotally it helps. My truck is a COVID chip shortage truck, so that system isn't on it.

A couple of people that work for me have the 3.0 Duramax and love it. The first guy had an issue with starter run on, his is a first year truck, but GMC fixed that with a recall. It appears that they have the bugs worked out. He really likes it, and says it tows well, he has enough power to tow larger loads than he has suspension or brakes for in a 1500. If it had been available for me to order when I got my truck I would have bought it. I had to take a truck that was ordered and then the agency had to back out because of budget issues, my old truck died and we decided to quit sinking money into it.

I will probably retire before I need to replace mine, but I think that's the way I would go.
Thanks for the info. I have a 03 with the 5.3 now other than a cracked head that they had problems with it’s been good

Does anyone have any experience with the 3 liter diesel engine that gmc uses in their sierra 1500 truck. I’m looking at new trucks and looks like they get good mileage on them. I’ve seen lots of reports of problems with the 5.3 v8 lifter issues so think I want to stay away from it. Thanks
I have a 5.3 and I love it! My brother has the inline 6 diesel and he does like it. He told me the other day that he pulled a small trailer with it and was pleased with the power, but it really knocked down the fuel millage and he wasn't happy about that. It knocked off 10 to 11 MPG and the trailer wasn't heavy loaded.

I know a lot of guys with high-er millage 5.3's and have had no problems, you always hear about the ones that did though. I think there was 1 or 2 year models that had most of the problems, when I was buying I didn't feel like it was that big of an issue and it hasn't been.

My 5.3 starts/runs excellent and has very good power with decent millage, I'd buy one again and I do pull loads at times with mine.

SR

I took my truck to the woods. Pulled out a log with my JD. Didn't see any bears ZigZagging or not. Kept my cast iron grease gun at the ready just in case as I bucked it up with my Stihl chainsaw. Oh and I didn't think about politics the entire time.
You forgot about the bare-azzed chaps.

Many times I've smelled it driving down the expressway in the semi, at least I think that's what it was :laugh: .
I've had to walk out of places of business before because it was so strong, and driving down a street on the NE side of Columbus I could smell it very strongly for over a mile. I have to take drug tests and sometimes randomly for work, it would really suck to fail because someone else was doing it. I'm fully aware of how the tests work, so I realize that I'd have to have a decent amount in my system in order to fail, but the stuff they are selling now isn't the stuff from back in the day, no matter how "good" of stuff you had.
MI is full on for recreational now, and my town has like 11 dope shops in it, it's absurd.
If they all burned down at once the entire town would get stoned.

I have a 5.3 and I love it! My brother has the inline 6 diesel and he does like it. He told me the other day that he pulled a small trailer with it and was pleased with the power, but it really knocked down the fuel millage and he wasn't happy about that. It knocked off 10 to 11 MPG and the trailer wasn't heavy loaded.

I know a lot of guys with high-er millage 5.3's and have had no problems, you always hear about the ones that did though. I think there was 1 or 2 year models that had most of the problems, when I was buying I didn't feel like it was that big of an issue and it hasn't been.

My 5.3 starts/runs excellent and has very good power with decent millage, I'd buy one again and I do pull loads at times with mine.

SR
I tend to agree. This is clearly GM country around me, and there are a pile of 5.3's around here and very seldom do you here about anything failing let alone an actual catastrophic failure.

Back