Scythe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today the situation called for using the scythe on the yard

With all the rain and necessary trips out of town yard grass has gone wild. Power mower just clogged up and the neighbor that had the Gravley tractor with a sickle bar mower attachment moved away so the scythe did the job.

Scythe don't care if the grass is knee high and wet, it gets the job done!

Sounds like you're building up your own cheat sheet.
Fraid I know way way way less about that tool than you already do.
the handle questions just come from a mix of curiosity, intuition
plus the aforementioned carpal tunnel and other frustrations
that lead me to study everything.

keep us updated as you progress with it.
If you feel comfortable with the idea of putting yourself online,
have a camera, etc... a video would be cool.

Here's a bit of an update:
I did end up purchasing a new snath since the actual nibs were so expensive. At $20 a pop and $60 for a new snath with nibs, I figured why not. The drill handle was put back on the drill. The main reason I went with the new snath n nibs was my hand kept climbing over the guard and after a few hours of scything, it hurt.

The rest, one you develop your technique, I think the important thing is also to develop a rhythm. For me it helps to wear a headset tuned into my favorite radio station (Country) and use the rhythm from those songs. I kind of got the idea from this video on YouTube:
[video=youtube;A0muYIpG4eE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=A0muYIpG4eE&feature=endscreen[/video]
I do happen to have video's of myself scything, but, I think I would rather not post them. The reason I took them was to study and compare them with others I've found on the internet so that I could improve my technique.

Maybe not, I'll dream about a visit from the reaper tonight.

I think we would all benefit from seeing your training video. Especially if you can have country music in the background.

You've been off the forum for awhile. I hope it's just being busy and nothing bad has happened.

Maybe not, I'll dream about a visit from the reaper tonight.

I think we would all benefit from seeing your training video. Especially if you can have country music in the background.

You've been off the forum for awhile. I hope it's just being busy and nothing bad has happened.

I believe the only thing anyone would come away with if I posted a video is just how retarded my techniques were. Then with my luck it would probably show up on Americas Funniest Home Video's and WIN!

The only reason I've been off the forum a bit is I tend to take rides into the wild blue yonder with no real destination in mind, just go. Then when I return, I have to play catch up with the yard work and continue on with any projects I may have started or start new ones. That scythe has really come in handy. This year it's been spending a lot of quality time with my shovel leveling out parts of my yard and making it so it drains properly plus making it useable.

It went from this:
GEDC0304_zps56620ce7.jpg

To this:
IMG_0543_zpscae8269e.jpg

To this:
IMG_1614_zps1cb5ec83.jpg

And as soon as my wood piles are gone, I will be using the dirt from the path that is now covered with mulch (the black stuff) to fill in where the wood piles were. They are now about 10 inches below grade.

From this: (look to the left side of the picture in the middle - additional digging)
Img_0919_zps0da2ef40.jpg

To this:
IMG_1609_zpsdcdcb667.jpg

So as you can see, there is a lot of shovel time. Yep. all shoveled by hand! And really, it is keeping me in shape for the upcoming firewood season. (felling, limbing, bucking, and splitting, not to mention getting the wood off the side of the mountain without the use of any machinery)

I did have to end up covering my round piles due to the relentless rains this year. N too much was getting into the piles. So rather than having them sit there and rott, I put tar paper over the tops where they would be coming in contact with the tarp and then stretched a tarp over the top (20' x 20') leaving the two ends open as well as along the bottom. Gotta have air flow!

think i may have to get a scythe to go with my "idiot stick" (aka weed wacker) and brush hook. like how they work.
how badly was your handle cracked? i've rescued cracked handles - malls, shovels, axes, baseball bat - by forcing the crack open with a screw driver, forcing some wood glue in (as far into the crack as possible), and clamping tightly either with glue clamps or rope/cord depending on the shape of the wood. if you use rope/cord be sure to wrap the handle with waxed paper beforehand so your rope/cord will come off. after the glue dries i just knock it down with sandpaper. voila', new handle. usually the glued part is stronger than the non-glued part. if you haven't disposed of the old handle you might give it a try
as i'm on here i'll put two cents in the jar. please don't be offended. i think i can probably speak for many of the guys on here on this one, but if not, i'll speak for myself.
after following your posts many have developed a "picture" of you in our mind's eyes. that picture is fed with your avatar and would include; tall, long legs, physically fit, respecter of rights, cycle rider, gun owner/shooter, hard worker, neat, tidy, industrious, independent...
now to most guys that spells "damn near perfect"
it has occured to me that we could all be being played and that you are actually a guy posing as a girl. not saying you are but when the presentation matches up real well with the description of a good woman as presented in the Bible (Proverbs 31), which also coincidentally conforms to many guy's ideals, it has to be considered. in this day and age its not uncommon for some "guy" to masquerade as a woman; every guys nightmare. if you are a guy, i don't understand why you'd pose as a girl, but that would be your problem, not mine.
therefore, a picture could easily dispell the rumor.
not saying you should break your anonymity, i wouldn't, but that's one reason pix would be requested.
just sayin.
glad you had a good birthday.
moderators - if i am out of line with this post, i tend to be a bit direct, please delete it.
again, just sayin

Last edited:
think i may have to get a scythe to go with my "idiot stick" (aka weed wacker) and brush hook. like how they work.
how badly was your handle cracked? i've rescued cracked handles - malls, shovels, axes, baseball bat - by forcing the crack open with a screw driver, forcing some wood glue in (as far into the crack as possible), and clamping tightly either with glue clamps or rope/cord depending on the shape of the wood. if you use rope/cord be sure to wrap the handle with waxed paper beforehand so your rope/cord will come off. after the glue dries i just knock it down with sandpaper. voila', new handle. usually the glued part is stronger than the non-glued part. if you haven't disposed of the old handle you might give it a try
Actually I do still have the old nib that came with the scythe when I made the purchase. I even still have the old snath though I replaced the nibs and snath with a new one. The snath came with the 2 new nibs. They were dang near impossible to adjust since you couldn't loosen them, but once I took an old strap and kind of used it like oil filter wrench, they came loose. Then I adjusted them to my particular height. I will keep the old snath and nib n one day when I'm not doing anything in particular, I'll give your method a shot.

as i'm on here i'll put two cents in the jar. please don't be offended. i think i can probably speak for many of the guys on here on this one, but if not, i'll speak for myself.
after following your posts many have developed a "picture" of you in our mind's eyes. that picture is fed with your avatar and would include; tall, long legs, physically fit, respecter of rights, cycle rider, gun owner/shooter, hard worker, neat, tidy, industrious, independent...
now to most guys that spells "damn near perfect"
it has occured to me that we could all be being played and that you are actually a guy posing as a girl. not saying you are but when the presentation matches up real well with the description of a good woman as presented in the Bible (Proverbs 31), which also coincidentally conforms to many guy's ideals, it has to be considered. in this day and age its not uncommon for some "guy" to masquerade as a woman; every guys nightmare. if you are a guy, i don't understand why you'd pose as a girl, but that would be your problem, not mine.
therefore, a picture could easily dispell the rumor.
not saying you should break your anonymity, i wouldn't, but that's one reason pix would be requested.
just sayin.
glad you had a good birthday.
moderators - if i am out of line with this post, i tend to be a bit direct, please delete it.
again, just sayin

As for the last half of your note: I spent the better part of an hour looking though hundreds of pictures, some even with me in it, and then it dawned on me. Even if I were able to take a picture of myself holding a chainsaw and maybe an axe, that surely wouldn't be enough. YOu would say that could have been photo-shopped or something. I could post a nude picture of myself (I happen to have several) but again, ypu could say that was some picture I found elsewhere on the internet and am claiming it to be mine. Or let me see, you would want to know when I had my last period or want to see my birth certificate. Or then maybe you would say I had a sexchange and want a dna test snail mailed to you from the laboratory that did the test. I could go on and on and on with this nonsense, but I will refrain. My point is, there would be no satisfying the likes of you since the way I see it is, I have threatened your manhood so in order for you to feel good about yourself, you need to make up rumors that seem feasible.

But, add this to your equation. First, I've just turned 62. Add to it that I have never and will never make myself available to anyone on the internet as in one of those internet romance things. I came here to learn various methods of doing things and have corrected many of my bad habits already. But I also came to share some of my experiences. That's it!

I had been considering making a video of one of my upcoming fells. A black birch "school marm" (about 34 inches across) or maybe a leaning black birch "widow maker" (about 20 inches across) with one drawback. Someone had posted on the Firewood Forum a video of a girl trying to limb or whatever a pine tree. I think the title was "Hot chick felling a tree) or something like that. Then there were the comments which followed including her wanting to show off her cleavage and that she looked like a "Crack Whore!" In my eyes, she wasn't all that unattractive though she was a bit of a ditz. But though I was a bit dissuaded by the comments, I figured since my video wouldn't be one of those instructional type videos, and it would only be viewable here in AS, I've kept that idea in the back of my head. Heck, I even have the video of my splitting a 4 foot in length by about 24 inches across round but I chickened out at the last minute and only posted pictures of the results. Now I'm thinking I'm glad I didn't post the video, and I'll be damned if I post a video of my felling one of the more difficult trees on my property.

So to shatter your minds eye, think of me as being the most butt eff'nist fugly and the fattest slob you can imagine, cuz that is what I appear to be. N yes, the last part of your post was particularly offensive. I'm a 62 year old widow (my husband has been dead for better than 27 years) and I have survived on my own since doing whatever it takes. I own my home (no loans or mortgages) own my Harley (no loans) and own my pickup truck (no loans) as well as have a little nest egg that if I'm careful will take me to my grave and then some. So if I stepped on your manhood in my quest to survive on my own, EXCUSE ME! Such is the price of being an independent woman. So to sum it up, think whatever you want. And kiss my butt, left side, right side, and inside. N don't forget a little tongue action while your in there.

Actually I do still have the old nib that came with the scythe when I made the purchase. I even still have the old snath though I replaced the nibs and snath with a new one. The snath came with the 2 new nibs. They were dang near impossible to adjust since you couldn't loosen them, but once I took an old strap and kind of used it like oil filter wrench, they came loose. Then I adjusted them to my particular height. I will keep the old snath and nib n one day when I'm not doing anything in particular, I'll give your method a shot.

As for the last half of your note: I spent the better part of an hour looking though hundreds of pictures, some even with me in it, and then it dawned on me. Even if I were able to take a picture of myself holding a chainsaw and maybe an axe, that surely wouldn't be enough. YOu would say that could have been photo-shopped or something. I could post a nude picture of myself (I happen to have several) but again, ypu could say that was some picture I found elsewhere on the internet and am claiming it to be mine. Or let me see, you would want to know when I had my last period or want to see my birth certificate. Or then maybe you would say I had a sexchange and want a dna test snail mailed to you from the laboratory that did the test. I could go on and on and on with this nonsense, but I will refrain. My point is, there would be no satisfying the likes of you since the way I see it is, I have threatened your manhood so in order for you to feel good about yourself, you need to make up rumors that seem feasible.

But, add this to your equation. First, I've just turned 62. Add to it that I have never and will never make myself available to anyone on the internet as in one of those internet romance things. I came here to learn various methods of doing things and have corrected many of my bad habits already. But I also came to share some of my experiences. That's it!

I had been considering making a video of one of my upcoming fells. A black birch "school marm" (about 34 inches across) or maybe a leaning black birch "widow maker" (about 20 inches across) with one drawback. Someone had posted on the Firewood Forum a video of a girl trying to limb or whatever a pine tree. I think the title was "Hot chick felling a tree) or something like that. Then there were the comments which followed including her wanting to show off her cleavage and that she looked like a "Crack Whore!" In my eyes, she wasn't all that unattractive though she was a bit of a ditz. But though I was a bit dissuaded by the comments, I figured since my video wouldn't be one of those instructional type videos, and it would only be viewable here in AS, I've kept that idea in the back of my head. Heck, I even have the video of my splitting a 4 foot in length by about 24 inches across round but I chickened out at the last minute and only posted pictures of the results. Now I'm thinking I'm glad I didn't post the video, and I'll be damned if I post a video of my felling one of the more difficult trees on my property.

So to shatter your minds eye, think of me as being the most butt eff'nist fugly and the fattest slob you can imagine, cuz that is what I appear to be. N yes, the last part of your post was particularly offensive. I'm a 62 year old widow (my husband has been dead for better than 27 years) and I have survived on my own since doing whatever it takes. I own my home (no loans or mortgages) own my Harley (no loans) and own my pickup truck (no loans) as well as have a little nest egg that if I'm careful will take me to my grave and then some. So if I stepped on your manhood in my quest to survive on my own, EXCUSE ME! Such is the price of being an independent woman. So to sum it up, think whatever you want. And kiss my butt, left side, right side, and inside. N don't forget a little tongue action while your in there.

Storm,

I posted that Hot Chick video, not to put her down but because she is eager to try. Dang, she went up that tree alone when there was help on the way.

So, I think that you would be quite good at instructing and encouraging eager to try women how to do felling, building, remodels and repairs. Who knows, there may be a paycheck in there somewhere for you.

Personally I read your posts because they are good, not because of any fantasy. Thank you for your posts

...As for the last half of your note: I spent the better part of an hour looking though hundreds of pictures, some even with me in it, and then it dawned on me. Even if I were able to take a picture of myself holding a chainsaw and maybe an axe, that surely wouldn't be enough. YOu would say that could have been photo-shopped or something. I could post a nude picture of myself (I happen to have several) but again, ypu could say that was some picture I found elsewhere on the internet and am claiming it to be mine. Or let me see, you would want to know when I had my last period or want to see my birth certificate. Or then maybe you would say I had a sexchange and want a dna test snail mailed to you from the laboratory that did the test. I could go on and on and on with this nonsense, but I will refrain. My point is, there would be no satisfying the likes of you since the way I see it is, I have threatened your manhood so in order for you to feel good about yourself, you need to make up rumors that seem feasible.

okay. consider me to be suitably chastised. i don't easily apologise but definitely when i've stepped in it. while i obviously should have given more consideration to posting the second half i definitely had no intention as you have obviously taken from it. now, i'm not sure why i added that to my post but pretty damn sure i was trying to compliment you. guessing i must have hit a sore spot somewhere. just goes to show when something inside says "what the h are you doing" i should heed it. please accept my sincerest apologies.
as far as threatening my manhood - balderdash. i know who i am and noone, male or female, can take that from me.
i don't care about your physical appearance since i'll never see you anyways and please don't think i spend any time fantasizing about you. i have plenty of woman in my own house. btw, i raised all three of my daughters to be as independent and self-sufficient as you seem to be.
again. sorry i ruffled you. please pull them claws back in. jerry morrow

i agree with SS. if there was a like button i would hit it.
Also agree with Griffonks regarding your posts.

Last edited:
Storm,

I posted that Hot Chick video, not to put her down but because she is eager to try. Dang, she went up that tree alone when there was help on the way.

So, I think that you would be quite good at instructing and encouraging eager to try women how to do felling, building, remodels and repairs. Who knows, there may be a paycheck in there somewhere for you.

Personally I read your posts because they are good, not because of any fantasy. Thank you for your posts

Yep, she did try, but really I don't think her heart was really in it, but then you never can tell these days. I've noted that in myself at times, but then I look at something that needs to be done and take it as a challenge. It's kind of like hearing a voice saying "you can't do that because your a woman" so heart or not, I have to do it. Sure, many times it scares me to death because I am doing something that would typically be done by a man and is way out of my league but I have to at least try. Most often I have been successful. Even when I fail, I'll go back and try again until I can get it done. If I wouldn't so much as try, that is true failure!

So really, I don't think I would make a good instructor in anything. I'm more of a doer. It's also having the willingness to try whatever as well as a positive attitude. How do you teach that? I know a lot of women who won't so much as try because they have learned to be dependent on others (men) to do whatever for them. So they give up before they've even started. I know one lady who can't so much as change a light bulb on her own. All I can do is lead by example.

Plus, I think I may be addicted to learning and the adrenaline rush I get every time I do something new. By the way, felling trees always presents new variables n more adrenaline rushes which is probably why I like doing it so much.

okay. consider me to be suitably chastised. i don't easily apologise but definitely when i've stepped in it. while i obviously should have given more consideration to posting the second half i definitely had no intention as you have obviously taken from it. now, i'm not sure why i added that to my post but pretty damn sure i was trying to compliment you. guessing i must have hit a sore spot somewhere. just goes to show when something inside says "what the h are you doing" i should heed it. please accept my sincerest apologies.
as far as threatening my manhood - balderdash. i know who i am and noone, male or female, can take that from me.
i don't care about your physical appearance since i'll never see you anyways and please don't think i spend any time fantasizing about you. i have plenty of woman in my own house. btw, i raised all three of my daughters to be as independent and self-sufficient as you seem to be.
again. sorry i ruffled you. please pull them claws back in. jerry morrow

i agree with SS. if there was a like button i would hit it.
Also agree with Griffonks regarding your posts.

Well, though it may be against my better judgement, I'll accept your apology. But I will ask this, if what you were trying to convey was a compliment, please don't compliment me in the future. The sore spot I do believe is common among women. Tell a girl you really don't know that you think she might be a man and see where your dangly man parts end up. :msp_scared:

The initial descriptors you used to describe me were pretty much right on. (that picture is fed with your avatar and would include; tall, long legs, physically fit, respecter of rights, cycle rider, gun owner/shooter, hard worker, neat, tidy, industrious, independent...) I'm 5'9" tall and my legs are 34 and 1/2 inches in length for starters, that is if you think 5'9" is tall. And I could be described as physically fit. N well, I'll also admit I'm not all that butt eff'n fugly. But enough to make everyone's eyes bleed with just one look. :extreme_sexy_girl:

Back