Sealing lines through a fuel tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My dad has an older mag case saw her bought new around 1992-1995. It's a Sears that had rubber fuel lines. He replaced them with oem parts from Sears. They provided Tygon lines.

The lines did not seal in the case, correct ID incorrect OD, and fuel leaks from the tank onto the kill switch grounding out the saw. So if you fueI it up you have to set the saw flat and wait till the switch dries out for it to start. He sort of dealt with this issue for many years and debris kind of fixed it until the intake boot and the impulse line failed. I was able to get those replaced.

I replaced the fuel lines again at that time. With the debris cleaned, the old starting problem was back.

Is there a product I can just goob around the existing tygon lines to seal them in the case/tank? Or is it essential to get the correct sized lines to seal it?

Id fix it right, line is cheap, shouldn't take more than a few minutes to snake in new lines. Got a,model number?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Get some Echo fuel line from a dealer. I believe it can be 4mm Id with a 5.6.7.8 or larger od. If you want to keep tygon than Master Carr sells fuel compatible military spec grommets.

You can fatten up the tubing by using like a small barb from a in tank fuel filter or some weed eaters tygon fuel lines they use a small barb and a flat plastic washer to slide down the tubing and over the barb on the outside of the tank to hold the barb and tubing in place but most generally the flat plastic washer is not needed to secure a tight fitting line in place if the internal tygon barb is long enough If you take a hair dryer and warm the tubing carefully and apply some lube to the inner ID you can slide the small barb fitting down inside the tubing to make it fatter using a small blunt drift punch or blunt nail before pulling the tubing into the tank.
You can also get a selection of about 4 different sizes of tygon fuel lines on-line and select the one for the tightest fit or sometimes you can take your existing line to a NAPA store and get a slightly fatter size.
I sometimes have to cut a piece of very tight fitting tygon fuel line back several inches so as to get a long taper, grease it good and I use locking type hemostats, usually two pair and gently pull a very tight fitting line through the tank.
I've also found few tanks that if I found a proper ID size but the OD was just really too big I could start gently drilling out the tank hole for the larger size OD tygon that I want to use.

No one size fits all for your issue.

Back