second injuryfor the same man

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkstar

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
last week i posted about my climber getting slammed in the leg and his ER visit ....well today he was climbing and recieved a harsh cut across his thigh .. details are unclear my other climber said he was hurrying way to much and could have avoided it .... the climber who got hurt says the tree was wet and he slipped ...ummmm these 2 climbers compete anyhow so i never know the trueth ...id say he was climbing like he always does fast as ,,,,,, any how i hope this slows him down .......15 staples it could have been far worse .... he ,,,,so far will not wear chaps ,,,,while climbing ... anyhow we took him to a clinic where they cut out all the loose meat and fat ,,,,no internal stiches were needed .... just the 15 staples ... i thought it was weird that the doc did not prescribe any antibiotics ... i told the doc i thought with a chansaw cut he deff. needed a 7 day course of something like augmentin ... doc said i was wrong not needed ,,,, he said he cleaned it out incredibly well ....
so 7 working days and the first 2 injuries of any man ever working for me ... also i paid out of pocket for the doc visit as somehow the health insurance company decided that he has been cancelled .... thats blue cross blue sheild ... now i have to figure that out ... they paid last weeks ER visit ...... the climber is walking around and says hes ready to work on monday ....hell be really sore tomorrow the pain shots are soon to wear off... personally im bummed as heck ... yeah it could have been worse ... but ,, this is the work we do,,,, and im having a hard time not paying my men what they are worth ...i pay excellant ... but my competition pays ???? wages and [[[well hacks ]]]]]..... its like what new buisness do i need to start .... im thankful it wasent worse ...
one of the best tree services here in my city says they are barely keeping their heads above water ...thay have a good rep its the workmans comp thats killin them ...and health insurance ..... im having a hard time moving forward knowing that the hacks are doing better ..... i want my men covered ..... they should be ...asplunds climbers dont even get health ....... wtf

Do you think this guy is hurrying to try to make the company money, or just to show off to his buddy? If he just wants to look cool, maybe you'd be wise to consider making him stay in for a few days and watch safety videos or something to cool him down, since obviously getting hurt and going to the ER doesn't have that effect. If he's trying to make the company money, you need to make him understand that he'd make a lot more if he didn't rush to the point where he is careless, causing the company to spend money on insurance and medical needs. Of course, he could just be a good climber who works fast and is having a rough time getting back into the swing after his last incident and is making mistakes. My $.02

have you had drug screens done at the ER? many companies, at an accident, have a drug screen done (alcohol and other chemicals)... it can save you if the employee was impaired at the time of the accident when he was injured...

just a thought

hes clean... and really i think hes just a really good YOUNG climber he doesent try to show off ... but he does get the work done fast ... to fast aparently .... i hope this slows him down ... either way for me the owner .... i spent 6 months out once for a sever cut almost 20 years ago .... basically its a buisness downer ... you got asplundi paying ???? wages then you got the state of tennessee not requiring tree companies with less than 5 full timers to carry workmans comp .... what kind of market does that set up .....

let him go ??? and where the heck do i get a qualified on time climber with great skills to match ... plus he can back a chipper down a 10 foot wide lane with mercedes benz on bothe side and not make a scratch .... ive had 2 really good climbers and they are both on the team now ....
SPACEMULE ? how many climbers do you have obviously many many .... i guess they are indespensible to you as you have such a good rescource available ? correct me bro if im wrong .....

darkstar said:
hes clean...

i wasn't saying he wasn't clean... but it is a protection to you... because you can state clearly to workman's comp, your liability insurer, etc. that you know, without a doubt, that he was clean... it's CYA at many companies (i'm talking companies in general, not this biz)...

No, I'm not in the business. But I do know that keeping the accident prone is not business minded, nor is it a way to make money. But, as I said, I'm not in the business. You obviously have a different perspective.

darkstar said:
cut out all the loose meat and fat ,,,,no internal stiches were needed .... just the 15 staples ... i thought it was weird that the doc did not prescribe any antibiotics ... i told the doc i thought with a chansaw cut he deff. needed a 7 day course of something like augmentin ... doc said i was wrong not needed ,,,, he said he cleaned it out incredibly well ....

Are you an arborist or an MD? Maybe you can have the ER doc come give you some advice on hairy takedowns. I bet his opinion would be about as valid as your medical opinion.

How much money is this guy gonna cost you before you see the light? For some reason he has become unsafe and you need to address the issue before he costs you your livelihood. Maybe someone else gets hurt next time becasue of his actions.

This is a rough crowd....bosses like Darkstar that take care of their employees are few and far between. For taking care of the guy I think he should be commended and not insulted. Tree work isn't a desk job, crap happens. The questionis is he being as safe as he should be? Maybe, maybe not....I'd not take teh word of a known rival....but then again I'm not in business, or even a tree cutter myself. What he's doing just seems liek common decency, business sense maybe something else, just my thoughts,
J.D.

What of this equipment will really save you from a chainsaw cut in the worst case scenario? It's a fast machine, the best safety is to keep it's teeth away from your skin. This means be aware of kickback and use common sense. No one handing! Some of this other stuff is thought up by paper pushers who never run a saw...IMO, you need ear protection, hard hat when in a tree or felling, long pants and eye protection's probably a good idea, but I've never heard of a serious injury from a woodchip hitting you in the eye. Really, if the employer sets reasonable rules, it's the employee's responsibility to follow them, not the boss's responsibility to hold his hand.

If its the same accident in similiar circumstance that quickly there is a problem in my opinion. Definitly time to sit down with employee and have a face to face chat. I would also sit down with the other employees on the scene of these accidents and see what they have to say about the work habits of this employee. A drug test would also be recomended in my opinion just to have the documentation for the insurance company. Shows the other employees that you are concerned for their safety as well. A fast worker that gets lots of production is great to have but if its going to kill you in accidents and medical cost might be time to start looking for replacement. Good luck.

spacemule u make me sick .... and anyone else who thinks the risk in tree climbing are not always uncalculated ...... shiit happens ....[[[[this climber]]]]] has been with me for 4 years with no accidents .... you want me to fire him .... fack you ....... just like some ???? big co op ....... never mind the bro who sweats his ass off doing the hard work ... ill pay his bills..... i may never be a big time super money maker ......but ill at least know i did the right thing ...... i need some help yo ekka over in oz .....

Thank you. :)

Just remember that the company's best interest, yours, and the employees are all mutually related. You yourself said you had problems enforcing safety rules, which is not doing the right thing by the guy. You can be pals off the clock, on the clock work and safety and production require discipline from all involved in order to be not only efficient, but to "do the right thing."

darkstar said:
spacemule u make me sick .... and anyone else who thinks the risk in tree climbing are not always uncalculated ...... shiit happens ....[[[[this climber]]]]] has been with me for 4 years with no accidents .... you want me to fire him .... fack you ....... just like some ???? big co op ....... never mind the bro who sweats his ass off doing the hard work ... ill pay his bills..... i may never be a big time super money maker ......but ill at least know i did the right thing .....

Not denying the risks in the biz dude, my insurance premiums refect that annually. 4 years without injury is a nice record, all the more reason to have a sit down and find out what is going on. New girlfriend, different brand of beer, new rope technique, you need to find out what is in this employees head before something else happens to him or another employee or a customer. Applause for doing the right thing and paying the bills, but is the employee doing the right thing also? Think about it.

SPACE MULE sorry to take offense so quickly .... my bad ...... you offer good advice ...... im angry ..... its the big picture ..im angry at .... i think many know this .......... anyhow ....................

Many companies enforce safety regulations much more stringently than we do at most small tree companies. There is a power generating plant down the street from us and I hear that if you are caught out in the plant without a hardhat, safety glasses, and ear protection you are fired, no excuses, no second chances.

Latest posts

Back