Seeking Advice on Chainsaw Add-ons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 119710

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a professional homebuilder and use chainsaws a lot for felling trees and basic timber framing. But I have very little experience with chainsaw brands, and zero experience with Alaskan sawmills or any other chainsaw add-ons. I'd like to try something new this coming spring, and I was hoping some more experienced chainsawers could give me some advice on putting something together:

1. First of all, I'd like to buy myself a chainsaw that's strong and durable but not over-the-top, strong enough to hook up to an Alaskan sawmill (just to plane one side of a log really, nothing super difficult) but still light enough to do precision freehand cuts like cutting half-laps into timbers.

2. I don't know if these are even made, but I'd like to have a detachable handle that could be attached to the end of the bar, to transform the chainsaw into a mini 2-man chainsaw. Anyone know if this exists? A lot of times I find myself doing complicated cuts and I have to keep pausing and taking a look at the other side of the timber to make sure I'm on track...

3. And finally, could anyone give me some advice on choosing an Alaskan sawmill type add-on for the chainsaw? Like I said I would only be interested in planing one side of a log, and I wouldn't need a flat surface more than 6 to 9" wide, so something small but still solid/durable would be perfect.

Thanks very much for reading, and for any advice you can give,
- Hat City

Hat_City, welcome to the forum! I have a "double ended" bar that lets me put either a helper handle or a second powerhead on it. It works well for both. There are some double-ended bars, but they're mostly way longer than what you'd likely need. It wouldn't be out of the question to modify a standard bar, though-- just make sure it provides hand protection for the second person. I've milled with a Husqvarna 372XP, but I wouldn't recommend anything smaller. That is a little heavier than you'd want for precision freehand cuts. My suggestion is to bite the bullet and get two chain saws.

1. First of all, I'd like to buy myself a chainsaw that's strong and durable but not over-the-top, strong enough to hook up to an Alaskan sawmill (just to plane one side of a log really, nothing super difficult) but still light enough to do precision freehand cuts like cutting half-laps into timbers.

First question is how wide a cut are we talking about. Under about a 12" wide cut about a 50cc brand name saw with a 20" blade would cover your needs. But be warned it does not stop there. Once you have a log that you have taken and cut from the temptation to take another is HUGE!

2. I don't know if these are even made, but I'd like to have a detachable handle that could be attached to the end of the bar, to transform the chainsaw into a mini 2-man chainsaw. Anyone know if this exists? A lot of times I find myself doing complicated cuts and I have to keep pausing and taking a look at the other side of the timber to make sure I'm on track...
Have a look at these http://www.baileysonline.com/Forest...andle-With-Roller-for-Granberg-MKIII-mill.axd
However they are made for what are called double ended bars which are only made for big saws and I seriously doubt they would fit any bars for small saws.
I you are at all handy it would be very easy to make your own. A piece of 1.5" pipe with a slot cut in it so it passes over the bar nose and then two bolts through the pipe and saw bar and a guard welded at right angles to the pipe. I reckon I could knock one up in about half an hour.

3. And finally, could anyone give me some advice on choosing an Alaskan sawmill type add-on for the chainsaw? Like I said I would only be interested in planing one side of a log, and I wouldn't need a flat surface more than 6 to 9" wide, so something small but still solid/durable would be perfect.
Even though I don't think this is technically an alaskan mill (I normally think of alaskans as where the bar is held at both ends) this mill would be suitable for such small cuts, http://www.baileysonline.com/Forest...cro-Mills/Granberg-Small-Log-Alaskan-Mill.axd

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back