Self sharpening chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a chain and chainsaw from the 70ties designed in a way that could be described as self sharpening?
It worked by pulling a lever that would place an abrasive shoe against it. Placed on the back of the clutch sprockets this thing would allegedly give the chain a new edge on the run.
I only saw it once at a dealer and don't even remember the brand, only that it was european. The chain looked pretty weird. I did a bit of a search on google but came up with nothing at all.

The self sharpeners used a special chain design commonly called barracuda chain. The self sharpening system actually worked but gullet cleaning and depth gauge filing was needed by hand after every few auto touchups. Oregon also made the barracuda in .404 pitch for a while-series 80 chain had a whole set of hand sharpening jigs that were dedicated to it. The stuff was wickedly agressive ( a saw setting on the floor would jump out and bite your shins!) but in reality it wasn't better at cutting wood and went away.

I had a little Mac that had one of those. The Mac was junk and so was the sharpner.

Here's Oregon's version and it's still available.
specialty_91lx_detail.jpg

Power-Sharp® is the chain for saws equipped with automatic chain-sharpening systems.

Wow yes, that's the one...a call from the past.
I thought it probably was a bit..out there. Thanks for the memories.:cheers:

I own a Craftsman that was equipped with this setup. I removed it as it looked dangerous to me. I replaced the chain with a standard 3/8 setup.

Back