Sellers What will your wood bring this year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How much planning on getting for your firewood this year. I know the price is vastly different from state to state. Just wondering what everyone is going to be getting. My add will go in the paper this year for $95 a rank. That is 4'x8'x16" I keep most of my repeat customers at their original price. I have a few at $80 a lot at $85 and a lot at $90. I give a $10 break for the second rank of wood. About 30 percent of the people get 2 ranks. A few get 3. That price is delivered and stack. I DON"T cross stack any wood. It is a very tight and solid stack. There are a lot of rip off artists around here who cross stack the entire stack(so it can stay dry) that is what they tell the people. There are a lot of people around here who get over 100 a rank. most expensive I saw last year was $130

Scott

I sold a cord last year for $110.This year $125 a cord,Pick up only.:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

I've priced mine at $50 per F150 short bed stacked level (not thrown in), or $85 for that and a 5x8 trailer stacked 12" deep. Haven't taken the time to figure out what that is in cords. That's delivered but not stacked to reasonable distances. If beyond what I call "reasonable" I tack on a fuel surcharge.

Ian

Last edited:
I asked this ? awhile back

I was trying to figure out what to charge this year.

Local price is about $150 cord. Honest cord. Not "heaping pickup loads, ricks, ranks, files, etc".

I might get conned into stacking, but it is gonna cost.
I prefer to back in and dump.

With the cost of fuel I think $160 isn't out of the question.

-pat :monkey:

My honest cord (3 ranks of 16inch wood) will go for $240-$270 here in St. louis That is delivered and stacked.

I think around here from what I've seen advertised, guys are getting around $70 but it seems to be by the "pick up load."

I've thought about getting into the firewood a bit and see what happens. I'm curious if people would be willing to pay more if they new they were getting a true cord.

Are you guys selling mixed hardwoods or all one species?

depends.... I am going to do pickup this year and only deliver full cords
compact pickup truck (ranger/dakota/s10) heaped $70 fullsize heaped $100

1/3 cord delivered/stacked $125
2/3 cord delivered/stacked $195
1 true cord delivered/stacked $285
1 true cord dumpped only $225

all mixed hardwood, our 3 year old oak only cords will be $350 this year dumped

i know my local 711 sells eight splits for $10.00 so i hope i can do the same ;)

around my parts a cord sells for 265.00

Good Pricing...But

depends.... I am going to do pickup this year and only deliver full cords
compact pickup truck (ranger/dakota/s10) heaped $70 fullsize heaped $100

1/3 cord delivered/stacked $125
2/3 cord delivered/stacked $195
1 true cord delivered/stacked $285
1 true cord dumpped only $225

all mixed hardwood, our 3 year old oak only cords will be $350 this year dumped

You mean that buyers are too lazy to even stack ? :hmm3grin2orange:
Think about the value of your time.....up $$$ the ante for stacking. Wait for the "dog freezing to the hydrant" :biggrinbounce2: , then price the cords.
Here in Downeast Maine a cord of pure oak is gold. We got to use what's here: red (soft) maple, paper(white) birch, little ash, little oak, and way too much spruce and fir.
What's the competition like where you are ?

I get $100- $125 an honest cord, delivered. I do not stack, but most people around here would rather stack it themselves anyway. I just finished a dual axle, 16' trailer with 24" sides. I have no idea how much it will hold yet, but will offer that size load this year. Most in my area charge $50 for a level pick-up load delivered.

I just finished a dual axle, 16' trailer with 24" sides. I have no idea how much it will hold yet, but will offer that size load this year. Most in my area charge $50 for a level pick-up load delivered.

Thrown in a rank of firewood takes an average of 74 cubic feet of space. And a cord will take about 222 cubic feet of space. Did you build a dump trailer?

Scott

No, not a dump trailer, but I don't mind pitching it on, and most people will help pitch it off. I got the trailer at a farm sale, the VIN tag was missing and the auctioneer told the crowd it could not be put back on the road. I knew that was BS, but said nothing. When the trailer came up he could not get a bid! I went $50.00 and bought it. The new PA VIN tag was $30.00. Title transfer was $54.00 LOL. 4 bucks more than the trailer cost! I had some white oak logs milled ( 75.00 ) and redecked it. I fixed the wiring, built new sides, painted, etc. I have about 200 bucks in a trailer that retails new for 4 grand! Title rates it for 10,000lbs.:)

That's great. I love auctions. A couple months ago I was at one and I picked up a hydraulic breaker for my skid steer it was $160. I didn't need one and haven't use it yet but for $160 I couldn;t pass it up. I'm going to one this weekend. www.deanwilsonauctions.com It's a little wood working shop. They have hundreds of pairs of new gloves there. Maybe I can score a good buy.

Scott

Back