Selling Bundles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ianm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could please help me. I am interested in selling bundled firewood to campgrounds, and small stores. I don`t know exactly how i should go about this? Should I just call places and ask? IF anyone could tell me how they have gone about finding business it would be appreciated.

Do a cost benefit to bundling and delivery.

What you may find is that you cannot compete with the big companies that are getting FDA-AFIS certification for their bundled wood.

It seems that the demographic that wants bundles wood wants narrow sticks, wich means more labor.

A thought on Bundles

We are selling a "apartment bundle" that consists of a 2'x2'x16" bundle of wood with a 3"x1' long bundle of lighter pine for $35.00 delivered.We made a rack to set up the bundle and then package the bundle with poly strapping, makes it easier to handle. Fastenal sells a poly strapping ( banding) kit for @ 90.00, should enough material for @ 150 bundles.. Seems to be going over well, fits on a apartment patio pretty good and if you put a 1.5' extention on the bottom of a hand truck it makes it alot easier to go up stairs.. works out to about 8 bundles a face cord... they are comming out ahead at that price as around here the little store bundles are 4-5 sticks per bundle and sell for 4.99 a bundle..

Usually we set up delivery days to keep from running back and forth to town, although we have had a few of them drive out to pick up the bundles.....

Do a cost benefit to bundling and delivery.

What you may find is that you cannot compete with the big companies that are getting FDA-AFIS certification for their bundled wood.

It seems that the demographic that wants bundles wood wants narrow sticks, wich means more labor.

I call it tooth pick firewood!!

I remember seeing someone on here say that they were using a 16" tire and standing the wood up in that. Then shrink wrapping. I would seem pretty low tech but efficient.

I for one can't believe the price that they get for those little bundles. Not even enough for one fillup of the woodburner.

Matt

I just go to the store ask for the owner or manger see if there interested . I do look to see if the store already carriers bundles first if they do and there from one of them big distributors then you usually have no chance plus I try not to take away from someone else that has a store .Be prepared to be turned down a lot .In my town there are 10 liquor stores 12 gas stations and 3 small grocery store the four big chain grocery store I don't count they are supplied by big distributors . So out of all 25 I got only 3 gas stations 7 liquor stores & 2 of the small stores In the next city that is much bigger I only got 4 liquor store out of probably 30 . Campgrounds are little harder because your dealing with the state or county . Be sure to have a sample of your product plus make sure you have enough wood cut and dry . If your planing on doing a lot buy a bundling machine like the twister this way you know what size bundle your making put a label on them so your customers know what and how much there getting . One thing to remember if you start this you will be tied to it year around for incident on Christmas I made 6 delivery's and on new years another 5

Don't call unless they are way out of your town! GO, be there in person, buy a cup of coffee and hang out. People like the personal touch!
So many folks call then never show up. (I've been in & out of retail all my life)

But be sure you can sell them on the idea that you can supply them an unending supply whenever they need it!
I bundle mine in a tire with my daughter, some have small wood and some have up to 4" rounds for those who want a lasting fire. I try to toss in a couple pieces of pine or hemlock with the 'smallwood' bundles.
We sell to people at the campgrounds because they are just over the hill from us and have to drive by.
We also sell a lot in the winter to icefishermen! Start by selling from your driveway and ask those people [friendly] questions, then customize your biz to their needs.

Oh, and when you go, make sure you have a pickup load of bundles, you never know.

Last edited:
I have been toying with the idea of doing this and just this weekend it started sounding alot better. I live about 200 yds. from the entrance to a fairly larger campground that is very busy in the spring, summer. Called them on friday to ask if they sold firewood. They dont. So I bought a small axe and split up some small wood in my garage to see how much work it would be. Not too bad but still would take some time. Went goofing aroud this morning (Sat.) and drove by an amish saw mill. Many in the area. Asked if they had any scaps for sale. Showed me these bins full of 3 ft. long cuts. Most no more that 1/2" wide. He makes pallet boards so most are pallet size. SCORE!!! $15 for one bin. I filled up the truck bed and that was less than a 1/3 of the bin. Came back with the dump bed and packed it full with the rest. Now tomorrow to make a saw buck to cut these in half and then all I have to do is bundle and sell. Tried to wrap in plastic but couldnt get them tight enough. May have to practice more but might look into plastic banding so there is something to hold on to. Talked to the owner of small country store down the road, she would like to put out the bundles in the spring, summer but has a problem with theft. Says anything left outside at night wont be there in the morning. Two months ago someone syphoned 100 gal. of Kerosene the day after there little tank was filled. May have to come up with a lockable container of some kind.
7xneczp.jpg

879jhft.jpg

$15 seems like a steal for this. Also has smaller bins of blocks 8" to 10" for $9 and I would guess them to be no less that a half face cord. Have to go back and grab some of them too. Worse thing is wanted to go cut with the new 346 today but had to watch the young ones so took them for a ride out to amishville and got some good wood anyways.

Cutting wood like that in half, I would think you'd be better off with a 10" Compound Miter Saw screwed on a couple boards with a stop at one end. That is what I use when I bring home pallets of 3x3 boards 63" long. Cut in thirds and they are ready for the woodburner.

Matt

We've always used a table saw for cutting something like that to fireplace size, works really quick and you only have to move the wood instead of having a hand on the saw trigger too.

Be sure to wax the table before doing too many cuts so nothing gets hung between the fence and the blade.

Good luck.

I have a buddy that sells to all the gas stations and 1 campground and he does well.
we drink beer and bundle tiny bundles of wood that he sells for 5 bucks each and the stations sells for $9.99.
he drops off 6 to 10 bundles and asks that they call when they get down to 4 .

Do any of you guys that sell bundles have problems with theft. I talked to the owner of small store down the road about putting out bundles. She said that would be fine but anything left outside at night wont be there in the morning. Maybee I could make a cheap lockable bin. Any Ideas on that?:confused:

Latest posts

Back