Selling saw nightmare

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superwd6

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Tonight a man came o look @ my Husqvarna 288xp for $250. After owning the saw for 20 years I had no worries after spending $80 in gaskets seals and a new ring, running two tanks of fuel --No problem. So as he shows up I pulled 12 times, flooded Put another plug in, three pulls later it fires,runs 2 seconds blows wet out muffler -then quits.. WTF plug wet ,top of piston wet pull more & more. Four letter words fill garage thinking my late father is haunting me as he bought it for me new and now does'nt want it sold. After pulling plugs out of 576-still no start. Started other 288 I'm keeping-10 frikkin pulls -OOPs it's winter. Go back to the saw I'm selling rechoke & yank 6 more to make it a total of about 50 and IT RUNS.:dizzy:. After all that crap he still wants it And will be back to pick it up. Has never done that since 1989. Do you believe in ghosts? :msp_unsure:

Why are you selling for only $250? Are there some issues (besides flooding)? $250 is real cheap, no wonder he still wants it!:msp_rolleyes:

I had an old picture on here of all three 288s and a price of $350 obo . 88 people looked @ it but not one response so off it went:confused:.Chain brake not there and bar is getting tired , I did'nt want or need to spend another $180 on it when I still have one with decompresson:msp_sad:. I'm sure the new owner Mike will join tonight to see all the 288 topics:msp_tongue: . And I feel the need to buy a new 346xp to save my back, I'm over 40 now. I feel like I cheated on my wife that my 576 wasn't bought @ local dealer so now I have some "new saw money"for him come January.

Last edited:
had a 031e haunt me once, had a guy that wanted to buy it, was to call back in an hour to get directions, so figured i pull the saw out of storage, ran great before i put it there, went to start it, no spark!, then he did call back, i told him someone else just showed up and bought the saw, now it sits apart waiting to find a good deal on ignition parts, oh well.:bang:

I had something similar happen when selling a Speedex garden tractor. It was a neat little tractor with a 16hp cast iron briggs and 16" ag tires on the back. The guy showed up and it wouldn't start. I'm cranking away on it and it ate a starter gear and spit out an e-clip that hit the guy looking to buy the tractor in the face! I figured that the deal was finished at that point but the guy said he would take it if I fixed the starter. I had a couple extra starter gears as it tended to eat them on a pretty regular basis. 20 minutes later the starter was fixed, the Speedex was in the back of his truck, and an extr starter gear was in his pocket.

It really seemed like the Speedex didn't want to leave. I guess I did give it a pretty good home.

I had something similar happen when selling a Speedex garden tractor. It was a neat little tractor with a 16hp cast iron briggs and 16" ag tires on the back. The guy showed up and it wouldn't start. I'm cranking away on it and it ate a starter gear and spit out an e-clip that hit the guy looking to buy the tractor in the face! I figured that the deal was finished at that point but the guy said he would take it if I fixed the starter. I had a couple extra starter gears as it tended to eat them on a pretty regular basis. 20 minutes later the starter was fixed, the Speedex was in the back of his truck, and an extr starter gear was in his pocket.

It really seemed like the Speedex didn't want to leave. I guess I did give it a pretty good home.

those 16hp castiron brigg's were known for tearing up starter gears, replaced many myself, at least you made the sale, my saw is still apart, although i haven't been trying to hard to find the parts, seams like when i look for parts and buy them, the great deal shows up shorty after!:msp_sleep:

Had that happen to me too. Guy was here to buy my Husky 181 with a 28" bar. Pulled the cord twice, it poped, pulled again starter went kaflooy. Thought the starter spring broke. He was in a hurry so I sold him my Efco 8200 w/28". That is another story.
Shep

Had that happen to me too. Guy was here to buy my Husky 181 with a 28" bar. Pulled the cord twice, it poped, pulled again starter went kaflooy. Thought the starter spring broke. He was in a hurry so I sold him my Efco 8200 w/28". That is another story.
Shep

Hey Shep, which one do you think was better ??

Steve

I was on the other side of one of these deals when I went to buy a used brush cutter. The owner had replaced a Shindaiwa with a Stihl. When he went to get the Shindaiwa running he told me the Shindaiwa always took several pulls to get started cold. He said he liked the Stihl because it had a primer bulb on it.
I told him the Shindaiwa had a primer bulb too. He got a funny look on his face and admitted he had no idea it was there. Primed the trimmer, fired up on the second pull.

I went to buy a saw one time and the owner said I could crank it up and run it. I pulled a bunch of times and no fire at all. He said it doesn't have any fuel in it.:msp_confused:

Last edited:
The 288 is a hall of fame saw. At least you have another, and for the flooding, and pulling. It happen's to us all, no matter how bulletproof the saw, getting excited, or being in a hurry, as we all can. It just take's a accidental bump on the throttle, without realizing it was done, and it's over. The pull, and pull begin's. I have learned that over the year's, and recognize it now, that if my saw act's out of character like you mentioned, I realize it got flooded, and instead of pulling so many time's. I go immediately to plan B. Choke off, and hold throttle wide open. It will get any saw I say within 8-10 pull's. If not you have another issue. I would right it off, as a simple error, and the saw being fine.

Saw now has a new owner. Funny part is he already has a clean 2100CD and is trying to stop looking for and buying chainsaws. So I told him to join here:laugh:. He'll never want another saw now right:D Oh and saw started fine tonight.

new owner..superd/89/288xp

went over the saw..doesnt need anything...:msp_thumbup:...saw is in vv good condition....exhaust is pretty well open..i did remove the screen.....i put new fuel...32:1/91...and opened up the carb...day 1...noodled .:laugh:.up some 24" green hard maple.....2 or 3 tanks.....saw cuts not bad....running rich....day 2...drop some big ash.....bark still on.. its dry dead.....20" to 30" in the butt....start on the first one ..saw cuts well...still four stroking in the cut.....finish up the top with smaller saw.....an hour later....resharpen and ready to start the next one.....go to start the saw ...cant pull it over..;)..i know its not ceased..pull harder away it goes...now its cutting like real goood...its hitting second gear now...starting to break in...have about 4 litres through it now....definitely a keeper....:D

went over the saw..doesnt need anything...:msp_thumbup:...saw is in vv good condition....exhaust is pretty well open..i did remove the screen.....i put new fuel...32:1/91...and opened up the carb...day 1...noodled .:laugh:.up some 24" green hard maple.....2 or 3 tanks.....saw cuts not bad....running rich....day 2...drop some big ash.....bark still on.. its dry dead.....20" to 30" in the butt....start on the first one ..saw cuts well...still four stroking in the cut.....finish up the top with smaller saw.....an hour later....resharpen and ready to start the next one.....go to start the saw ...cant pull it over..;)..i know its not ceased..pull harder away it goes...now its cutting like real goood...its hitting second gear now...starting to break in...have about 4 litres through it now....definitely a keeper....:D

No pictures................... didn't happen !!:hmm3grin2orange:

Steve

Back