setting ring gap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pappasteve

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What do you use to file the ring gaps to correct size? I don't have a specalized tool to do it with.

Thanks for the replies. I can't find my feeler gauges so I have to get a new set first. Don't think it is at .009"

I can't say I've ever had to file the ring ends on any of the saws I've done. Of course I started with the correct rings.
Bob

Thank you!!! Unless you are installing rings meant for a different bore, the only problem you are likely to see is that the gap may be too large if the cylinder is really clapped out.

Be careful

One thing I was taught when filing rings is th clamp the file in the vise and hold the ring with my hand lightly squeezing the ring against the file. Very seldom will you break one. If you put the ring in the vise and hold the file, it is very easy to put too much pressure and snap the ring. Also check the notch on the end for clearance around the locating pin. If you take off much, that notch should be reground.

Bought me a new set of feeler guages. No filling needed. Gap was at .010" I'm good to go.

Thanks for all the replies.

Latest posts

Back