Sharp Chain Vs. Dull Chain...Photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch!:crazy2:I hate it when that happens.
I had a like new spare chain with me but no file.
I feared encountering more bullets and ruining another chain, therefore I finished the job with the chain pictured - it was fresh pear so it was doable.

I have a clip on YouTube of that encounter - two cuts everything fine, in the third cut I hit the bullet. :confused:

Interesting that the chain chewed through the bullet like that without taking more severe damage. :bowdown:

Great thread.
I never get chips like the last picture.
Some good ones with a hand sharpened chaine but never like that.

Some of the chip size really depends on the wood I get nasty chips outta maple and other "soft"hardwood now a seasoned oak tree.... Not so much . these fellas can run a file obviously

LOL, I'll bet you did!!! Yowzaa!! Enough to make a grown man cry!
It was in a load of logs that was delivered. I had no îdea it was in there. I thought I hit a big bolt or something until further investigation. The chain was a 24" skip rs stihl. I have been using the full comp husky chains since on my 562. That chain has started too grow on me. It's smooth. Stihl chains make thicker noodles though.

It was in a load of logs that was delivered. I had no îdea it was in there. I thought I hit a big bolt or something until further investigation. The chain was a 24" skip rs stihl. I have been using the full comp husky chains since on my 562. That chain had started too grow on me. It's smooth. Stihl chains make thicker noodles though.
Yes, I like Stihl chain very much. Stihl is a great chain company. My favorite chain is a 20 year old reel of Windsor round ground full chisel. Only about 15' left on the reel.:( I try and use some of all the major brands.

Yes, I like Stihl chain very much. Stihl is a great chain company. My favorite chain is a 20 year old reel of Windsor round ground full chisel. Only about 15' left on the reel.:( I try and use some of all the major brands.
Nice! ! I have read some on how awesome that Windsor chain was back in the day! I have never had the pleasure to run any.

Lead is reasonably soft probably the copper jacket did more harm than the bullet itself still way cool
I thought so too myself, but it is not a copper/lead bullet!
It has only a thin lead layer between the steel jacket and the steel core (both jacket and core are magnetic)! ;)

I believe it is/was a lightweight 7.92x57mm military bullet (aka. 7.9 Mauser).
Along the 7.62x37mm (for the AK47) the 7.92x57mm was very common ammunition in this area in the 90's.
It was either a stray bullet or someone shot at the tree out of fun.

Luckily/apparently it was not an armor piercing bullet as one of those might have sent my chain to its eternal resting place. :)

Steel core would be armor piercing I believe they're very illegal
It is not a sharply tipped nor hardened steel core, it is a regular "soft" steel core with a blunt tip - I know them as lightweight bullets.
They are also shorter then the regular lead cored "heavy" bullets.
I think I read somewhere that they were intended for M53 machine guns (MG42 copy), the high fire rate would negate reduced precision and the lighter bullet (which also featured a stamped steel casing) would allow more munition to be carried.
Not using copper and brass also reduced production costs.

Besides, the vast amount of military equipment in circulation in the 90's would render armor piercing bullets to child toys, nobody cared about legality then as military weaponry was more common than fresh warm bread (well, sorta!). ;)

Waaaay of topic though - lets get back to wood chips and noodles! :)

Back