Sharpening chain with no chain brake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffkrib

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi,
I have an old Stihl 009 and a Shindaiwa multi pole pruner both with no chain brake. Anyone have a tip on how the lock the chain while sharpening. I'm currently holding the chain with one hand and filing with the other, I find it very dificult to keep the angles consistent.
Any help would be appreciated.
Ta
Jeff

Tighten the chain up good and tight. Then just loosen it up a bit when you go to run it.
What he said. But will add to put the bar in a shop or log vice. You can usually put the file behind the depth gauge and push to advance. Using a good.....not dull....file not a lot of pressure is needed to get the file to work upon sharpening.

Some guys jam a scrench (mentioned above) or wedge of wood between the bar and chain.

Some guys place something under the powerhead, so that the cutters on the bottom of the guide bar are pressed down onto a wooden board, while they file the teeth on the top of the bar.

I saw a guy in a video hold the saw with the powerhead resting on a bench and the guide bar held vertically against his shoulder (with a towel underneath). He filed like a concert musician playing a cello.

If you bore cut into a tree or stump, the weight of the saw would hold the chain, until you lifted the weight off. You could use a board with a slot in it, held in a vise.

Granberg type clamp on file guides have a dog/chain stop. You could make something like that.

Philbert

fast forward the video to 6:33 where they sharpen the chains or fast forward to 9:10 to show you the different techniques on how to sharpen the chain

No chain brake here either!
I also don't use any gloves while filing, but it is a good idea.

Best suggestion was "a good sharp file"!
This will definitely spare You the need of pushing the file hard against the tooth!

For a touch up while working I just file the chain the way it is.
For a thorough sharpening I over tighten the chain while not using the chain brake nor any kind of vise.
The usage of a vice does seem to be a good idea too though.

What this site thought me is to file the teeth from the inside out!
Makes a big difference in filing resistance, although I can't say that I noticed any difference in tooth sharpness.
Filling from the inside out will also prolong Your files longevity.

Never had lock the chain here either if chain is properly tension on the saw.

Some files do dull rather quickly as they may only a few loops before needing replacement especially those cheap China files. I had some them not even make it through one sharping before dulling.

With my current files I had only one chain that I could not file with new never used file. I still have no idea why it was so hard. The chain was a 3/8lp on a Craftsman saw.

If I'm anywhere near the barn I use the chain vice I made - there is just no comparison in how accurate I can be. I can see, I'm comfortable standing at the bench, the angles are marked and the chain is held stable. You can talk to Homelite410 upthread about a vice - I made mine but the ones he makes are beautiful.

I never willingly file on the bar unless I'm out in the woods and have no spare chain. I will try to find a big log or stump and get a piece of wood that will fit under the bar with the saw sitting level, but just not touch. Then when I file I push the bar down onto the wood block to keep it steady. The brake would just be slow and clunky.

Then again I'm just a home firewood hack.

If I'm anywhere near the barn I use the chain vice I made - there is just no comparison in how accurate I can be. I can see, I'm comfortable standing at the bench, the angles are marked and the chain is held stable. You can talk to Homelite410 upthread about a vice - I made mine but the ones he makes are beautiful.

I never willingly file on the bar unless I'm out in the woods and have no spare chain. I will try to find a big log or stump and get a piece of wood that will fit under the bar with the saw sitting level, but just not touch. Then when I file I push the bar down onto the wood block to keep it steady. The brake would just be slow and clunky.

Then again I'm just a home firewood hack.
What you are calling a chain vice clamps the drive links?
Ideal would be to clamp the actual cutter some how. At times I file with one hand and try to hold the chain close with the other.

I file on the bar with saw clamped in my bench vise, nevr using the chain brake. As said above, proper tension is key, i almost never have to retighten the chain to file, only tight e ough to keep the chain from rocking too much. I file with both hands, one on each end o the file. Makes it pretty easy to maintain angles. I cant even imagine trying to file with one hand.

Latest posts

Back