Sharpening Equipment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Neb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Alright, after reading a number of posts it seems I need to try and hand sharpen some of my chains...

My question is which equipment do I need to buy. I like the jig kind of setup with the adjustable angles but Stihl wants $$$ for that setup. It looks like there are several similar systems, are any of them worth having? Are there any to definately avoid? What about the Stihl systems with just the guide and file?

I'm looking for brands and where to pick them up!

Thanks for any help you can give....

P.S. Currently I'm running nothing but Stihl chains mostly of the 33rsc variety.

Definatly get some hand files and have some one who knows show you how to do it. Just about everyone will tell you how important it is to be able to do a quick touch up on a chain when you are in the field. There was a thread on bench mounted grinders from Northern Tools, and it seems like the people are real happy with them.

Sam

everyone seems most satisfied with a stihl or granberg atop mount guide-the northern tool grinder is good (when modded) and a silvey pro sharp seems to be the best that money can buy-I heard stihl is coming out with a new "atop guide" for square ground chisel and Iv seen a pic of the file that comes with it - I feel like its probly gona be a good one also

I have the oregon bar-mounted sharpening jig. I ordered it from the local Stihl dealer, it was a little cheaper than the stihl version; I think I paid about $35 or $40 for it. Can't remember. I'll say this though; when mine broke (defective cast; you could see the air bubble), they honored the warranty months after it had expired. I try to buy some stuff locally. Makes me feel good that I know I can get help when I need it.

If I had a "spare" $100 to spend, I'd love to get the NOrthern grinder, but I just don't have enough chains to mill with that I can have all the chains I need for a day of cutting before all were dull; I'd still need the clamp-on jig.

fileing

Just get the husky 2in1 file guide and depth gauge tool. And once you get good on the guide, gradually wean yourself off the guide and freehand. This is what I did. If you're good you can freehand a chain better than a guide will do it.:hmm3grin2orange: :biggrinbounce2: ;) :laugh:

go with what ever works!

some like plain file with no guide. some prefer manual bar mounted guide (get the real sthil one) others will only sharpen by grinder.

me I like in between, which is a round flle mounted in an old homelite holder.

if you go with square grind... I'm convinced you need a square chain grinder, unless you've got time to burn sharpening chains. with a bit of practice. I was hand sharpening square profile that definitely cut way faster than round.

but simply didn't have the time to spend on each chain to do a proper square file job. then if square chains hit the least bit of dirt... forget about it. vs whop out the round file in holder... 3-4 minutes later. what la .. a sharp saw again. don't get me wrong my hand sharpening job is no where near fast as square. but it's at least 10x faster than a dull square chain :D

try finding a decent priced square chain grinder... ya right...
no question having 5-6 spare square ground chains is fastest way to go.

just couldn't justify spending 2k for a silvey pro-sharp. rather not go at all, if I can't do it right.

just tried to find info on husky 2n1 file guide on husky's web site.

couldn't find anything... couldn't contact anyone... husky's website truly sucks!

just tried to find info on husky 2n1 file guide on husky's web site.

couldn't find anything... couldn't contact anyone... husky's website truly sucks!
go to chainsaws and then accessories or,:bang:
Its under Accessories and lubricants, then chainsaw accessories. the site isn't very friendly.

first called my local husky dealer who didn't stock it. wanted to see a pic before ordering.... so did a google couldn't find... then dug up husky's website.... spent several minutes ... everything's broken... ok switched to IE... things start working... but five minutes later still can't find....

conclusion husky's website SUCKS!

so searched for another few minute to give feedback on web site... no contact/webmaster info anywhere... only this form that asks for all sorts of info .... nada... wasted enough of my time!!!

still don't understand how a large corporate could end with a web site soooo BAD it truly SUCKS!!

go to chainsaws and then accessories or,:bang:
Its under Accessories and lubricants, then chainsaw accessories. the site isn't very friendly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back