Sharpening questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gologit

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
. AS Supporting Member.
How many strokes of the file do you use per cutter when sharpening? Based on this how long will a file last if you are doing an 18 inch loop?

:rockn:

No set number of strokes. Try to file before your chain gets real dull and just use the minimum required to keep all your teeth the same length and angle. No idea on how long a file will last...depends on how good a file it is. Should last several sharpenings...you'll know when it's not doing it's job anymore.

Tzed250

Tzed250

Addicted to ArboristSite
That depends on how dull the chain is, and the sharpness and quality of the file. Generally 3 to 4 strokes on a mildly dull chain with a new file does it for me. Remember not to drag the file backwards as this will damage it. A well cared for file will last a long time.

blis

Addicted to ArboristSite
How many strokes of the file do you use per cutter when sharpening? Based on this how long will a file last if you are doing an 18 inch loop?

:rockn:

1 stroke per teeth for touch up every tankfull, 2-3 strokes per teeth on dull chain, 3-5 if it has hit stone etc...

dtnodya

dtnodya

ArboristSite Operative
when a file is spent, I'll snap it in two. A good file will snap like a twig (hard steel), if the file bends it's a cheap one. Thats how I decide which brands I like.

That's interesting .. I'll have to try that. I usually only use Stihl files because they I have a dealer like 2 miles from my house and I think they are good files. I've used Husky ones (also work well) and oregon files (work pretty good).

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
No set number of strokes. Try to file before your chain gets real dull and just use the minimum required to keep all your teeth the same length and angle. No idea on how long a file will last...depends on how good a file it is. Should last several sharpenings...you'll know when it's not doing it's job anymore.

Right!

I toss the files too early I suspect, but better than trying to sharpen with a dull file........:D :D

1 stroke per teeth for touch up every tankfull, 2-3 strokes per teeth on dull chain, 3-5 if it has hit stone etc...

Two to start with, here......

SRT-Tech

SRT-Tech

ArboristSite Guru
clean the file teeth after every tooth filing, just wipe the file backwards with a clean dry rag, this removes the filings. My father has files that he inherited from his dad, who inherited them from his dad......, they are still very sharp and over a hundred years old, kept that way by cleaning them with a rag during use, and kerosene and a soft brush everyonce in a while. Sure files are cheap, but that one second it takes to wipe them clean ...is that really such a big deal to do? no.

stihl 440

stihl 440

Addicted to ArboristSite
files

Tha sounds about right. And I use timber savage, oregon and sometimes stihl files. Timber savage seems to last a little bit longer and are more aggressive.;) :D :rock: Just remember to keep the same number of strokes on each tooth. EX: say it takes 6 strokes to get the first few cutters sharp, then file each cutter with 6 strokes.