Sharpening saw chain with a Dremel?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which Dremel tool?

The accessory is the Dremel 1453 Chain Saw Sharpening Attachment, less than $10 online plus shipping. It is marked for 30 degree angles.
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachm...accessory-detail.htm?H=188575&G=69679&I=69805
Hey, thanks for the link! I didn't know of a chain sharpening attachment for the Dremel. Last week I bought a Stihl 12v sharpener but I'm going to take it back. I prefer to sharpen in my shop.

I've used an Oregon file jig for 28 years but old and damaged chains need more work than I like to do with a file.

The Dremel attachment "Fits Tool Model: 400, 398, 395, 300, 285, 275, 800, & 780." I don't think I'd have much use for a big Dremel accessory kit, mostly just the rotary tool. What do you use them for? What Dremel tool model do you guys like.... or don't like? Where to find the best price?

C'mon guys

Ya'll have GOT to STOP using those friggin' Dremels. I'm going to make a sticky that is going to knock down any posts about chain issues if there is even a Dremel mentioned, heheheheheheheheheheee. Dremels are NOT good. They ruin the temper on your teeth and cause tons of issues with your chain. File by hand or get a real chainsaw sharpener. The spin at a different speed that doesn't ruin the teeth. If you ever notice your chain dulling fast, just heed my words right now... Look no further, its cause you used the danged Dremel on it...

:givebeer:

Oregon 12volt

I have the Oregon 12 volt rotary sharpener and it seems to work pretty well. I made an adapter that plugs into my 7 pole trailer connector that powers the grinder instead of working off of the battery under the hood or having to tote one along.

The only problem I have had is that the tool will sometimes want to "climb" out when I am sharpening and that ruins the edge and I have to start over. I think I am using the right way....shouldn't the top of the stone be rotating toward the cutter? Or vice versa? or does it matter?:confused:

Lazer

The only problem I have had is that the tool will sometimes want to "climb" out when I am sharpening and that ruins the edge and I have to start over. I think I am using the right way....shouldn't the top of the stone be rotating toward the cutter? Or vice versa? or does it matter?

I believe, Lazer, you want the stone to be rotating AWAY from the edge youre sharpening (if I'm envisioning this all correctly). Perhaps described a better way, say a mounted bench grinder's wheel is turning in the direction towards the floor. You'd want the knife youre sharpening's blade to be horizontal to that floor. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
I think that sharpening with a dremel or any electric is a wast of time, faster with a hand file (I even have cordless ones), I do have a dremel set up to do chains, just to get that little sharper edge than you get with a file, but I file first, and I only touch the dremel to the teath, and I only do it to the 064 If I feel the need to impress my self on big wood. The dremel sharpness only lasts about 15 minuts before the chain is as sharp as a filed chain. I Can't believe people are faster with a stone than with a file, Either I suck at useing my dremel, or...

I have tried out the entire range of sharpening gadgets and techniques. Every one of the methods gives good results if done correctly. I started using dremel with diamond bits for sharpening carbide tipped chains. This is now my preferred method to put the very best edge on standard chains. The tool should be slowed to 5000 rpm or thereabouts. If your dremel is not variable speed, then get a variable speed controller. Harbor Freight has one that is good for tools up to 15 amps. I rigged up a foot switch. Use a good light up close to the chain. The carbide bit never gets too hot to touch. I use a fan to blow away the dust. I clamp the bar in a woodworkers vise. I used an old rim sprocket with a ball bearing inserted which is attached to a weight. This lets me advance the chain and keep it under some tension.

Can you tell me where you find the diamond bits? I don't like the fact that the stones change size so quickly.

I love the Dremel but you have to use common sense. I use an inverter in the truck on my single speed and works very well.

Two things are key to this.

First you must use a high quality stone bit or one of the diamond ones. I like the Oregon ones the best. Most of the other ones that I have used are crap and there is a huge difference in longevity and results. Some of the cheap ones will barely do one chain.

Second you must constantly move the the dremel back and forth as you are sharpening or you will just wear a ridge in it.

When the stone wear to a smaller diameter then I keep them and use them to sharpen my brush cutter blade or other assorted dremel grinding.

Seagull,

Thanks for the tip, makes sense. Here is a picture of my sharpener wired up for the trailer light connector. Seems to work pretty well, I just pulled the hot and the ground from the connector. It surprised me that something that I own is actually wired correctly and it worked on the first try.

Lazer:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
I run my Oregon 12V sharpener off my small 12V battery charger in my shop, set to Trickle Charge.

With the charger set to trickle charge, the grinder probably runs slower? This is probably a good thing from what I am hearing as I guess if they spin too fast they tend to heat up the chain too much and remove the temper. I was thinking of adding an inline resister in my voltage supply to slow mine down a bit. We'll see, I have some diamond bits coming and they aren't supposed to heat up as much as the stones I guess. Trial, error and advice....what a combo...

Last edited:
No, it seems to run at the same speed as when its hooked directly to the truck battery. Trickle is 3 Amps & Fast charge is 10 Amps on my charger. I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Purely based on hand-sharpening (successfully, I'd add) it seems to me that the file cuts best with a slow stroke and steady pressure. Trying to cut faster only causes work-hardening. I imagine the Dremels with their fast wheels will hae a similar effect and wear out very quickly.

So can anyone check and see what the rated RPMs are on the Stihl or Oregon 12V sharpeners?

My variable speed Dremel tools (model 395) are rated from 5,000 to 35,000 RPM, but there seems to be a range of speeds, depending on the Dremel model, and if they are corded or cordlesss.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/CategoryProducts.aspx?catid=13

Philbert

Not to be rude but.........

Chain doesn't work harden, heat tempers steel it doesn't "remove it", and some folks can wreck an anvil with a tack hammer.
You really want CBN wheels, not diamond, they won't load as fast.
Sorry for the rant......
Do you think great wood carving is all in the saw?
Try to take too much with a Dremel and it can load, heat and pl$$ you off. Touching up is fine but not nail damage like a bench mount. A craftsman never blames his tools.

Back