Sharpening your chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I sharpen my chains this way.

Example, 3/8” chisel chain. I take a 7/32” file and file out the inside of the tooth giving the chips more room to curl and get exhausted from the saw. On my 575XP / 385XP , any decent sized power head I then take a 1/4” file in the file guide and sharpen the upper lip of the tooth only. The saw will cut faster and easier. Set your rakers at .025” and let her rip. The upper part of the tooth does all the cutting(point).

Note; for speed cutting at the local fairs on pine timbers I set the rakers at .040” depth and go up one size on the drive sprocket. Plug the govenor in the carb on the 2100.

Now on a smaller saw with 3/8” chain I use a 7/32 file on the upper lip.

On the .325” saw chain I use the 5/32” file to file the inside of the tooth and the 4.5mm file on the upper edge on the tooth. Once the saw chain opens up between the raker and tooth I switch to the 3/16” file in the guide and the 4.5 mm file inside the tooth.

Once I sharpen anyone’s saw chain this way they come back to me for ever. It’s about speeding up the exhaust on the wood chips. The faster they get out the faster they cut.

Time is money.

I married a italian she was awesome till she hit her change of life. Now I’m not sure what I’m going to wake up next too. A pit bull ready to chew my arm off or a sweet pussycat. Lol it was a great 44 years of marriage so far. Lol

I’m retired now.

I married a italian she was awesome till she hit her change of life. Now I’m not sure what I’m going to wake up next too. A pit bull ready to chew my arm off or a sweet pussycat. Lol it was a great 44 years of marriage so far. Lol

I’m retired now.
You retired and now are around her more. I also retired and understand, but only 40 years. Enjoy your retirement!

Latest posts

Back