• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Shindaiwa 490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Up for grabs is a nice Shindaiwa 490. This model was released as an upgraded 488 with some new features including a side-adjusting chain tensioner and a multi-function switch (Like Stihl saws) for choke, fast idle, run and kill. Retains the 48cc displacement of the 488, and like all Shindaiwa saws, is built well.

Super clean, low hour saw. Starts, idles, oils and cuts well. Set-up to run .325 chain. Compression is reading 155 psi at 5000 feet - should equate to 175 -180 at Sea Level.

Selling PHO for $350. I can port this saw for the buyer.

Assuming some software restriction is preventing me from inserting the photos in proper orientation. Sorry about that.

490_1.jpg

490_2.jpg

490_3a.jpg

490_3b.jpg

490_4.jpg

490_5.jpg

490_6.jpg

490_7.jpg

490_8.jpg

I have always wanted one of these but don't really need one how does it compare to the 488? Same amount of power?

This saw is as nice as it looks in the pics guys. The 490 is a great saw and this is a super clean one.
Good luck on the sale!

Same power as the 488. Just a bit different look on the outside. This one looks to be in great shape.
After running the 488s and 500s for so long the three way switch always throws me when I first pick up the 490. I'm always looking for a choke knob to pull.
The previous owner of mine did a slight muffler mod and said it livened it up a bit. It does run well and hasn't given me any trouble.
I really like an 18" bar with this saw but have had no issues running a 20" bar. Just my preference for the size of wood I cut.

Was this made to replace the 488? My local dealer never had one.

Alderman and Wagnerwerks have it right. Thanks!

Back