Shop built splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wndwlkr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Built this from scrap layin around the farm. 4"x40" cylinder 2.5"rod 22 gpm pump, K321 Kohler 14 HP Log lift work table operators seat beer cooler 15" tires camo paint rocknroll, let the fun begin, 4 way wedge sufit sraight in the truck or trailer. all the work myself and it works good ! YEEHAA. I have pics if anyones interested. I cut 30-36" wood for my garn type boiler, thats why i went with the 40" cylinder. :dizzy: :msp_rolleyes::msp_rolleyes:

Built this from scrap layin around the farm. 4"x40" cylinder 2.5"rod 22 gpm pump, K321 Kohler 14 HP Log lift work table operators seat beer cooler 15" tires camo paint rocknroll, let the fun begin, 4 way wedge sufit sraight in the truck or trailer. all the work myself and it works good ! YEEHAA. I have pics if anyones interested. I cut 30-36" wood for my garn type boiler, thats why i went with the 40" cylinder. :dizzy: :msp_rolleyes::msp_rolleyes:

Here's some pics.

Looks real good ... suitable for service in the middle east desert 'cept the engine and seat :msp_sneaky:

and there's no trees there!

No, no, no... that's just all wrong. :D
Man, if'n ya're gonna' put a seat on it... that thing should'a been self-propelled with a grapple instead of a log lift. Just drive up to the log, clamp and lift onto the beam, split and let the firewood fall into an attached trailer... beer cooler needs to be within arms reach of the seat. I'm sorry, but anything with a seat should be designed so ya' never haft'a get out of it. :laugh: I'll give ya credit for one good feature though... At least ya' can spin the seat around and pee without getting out'a the seat. :hmm3grin2orange:

That is beautiful, actually wiped a little tear from the corner of my eye. Nice looking splitter

Hello,
That is quite a machine.....looks like a great job. However, I have always been troubled when I see a log splitter with a seat !!!!!!
I guess then that you have a lot more help than I do......cause whenever I'm working on mine, I am up and humping the logs to the splitter, running the lever, throwing the split wood and usually busier than a one armed paper hanger !!!! I have enough trouble getting Wanda to help me and if I was sitting down, the whole operation would stop !!!!!!
Great job and have fun !!!!!!

Henry and Wanda

Thanks for all the compliments, the seat is for the better half,she loves to get outdoors and help. so i figured might as well make her comfee. I'll do all the cutting & roll em to the lift. it'll be so much easier,my back feels better every time i look at that lift. the beer cooler sits right beside the seat. I really enjoy building stuff. well gota go clean some bluegill i just caught. everyone have a good day ! :biggrin:

Larry

So, what other options did you have for a cylinder? Must be nice to have a selection!

Looks like you had fun building it!

One of your pics embeded:

242635d1340363065-log-splitter-010-medium-jpg

I was going to use a 5"x34.5"x3" cylinder from surplus center,then this one popped up on craigslist & i picked it up for $100.00. had to rework the plumbing ports to 3/4" but it turned out good. It does a full 40" cycle in 12 seconds, no load. fast enough for me cause i'm getting slower myself. slow is safe is my theory. :popcorn:

Very sweet. Nice job on the fab work. Only problem I see is that maybe you need more hydraulic fluid capacity.:D

I was hoping i could sneak by with 25 gal. $40.00 a jug a guy don't wanta spill much! :dizzy:

I was hoping i could sneak by with 25 gal. $40.00 a jug a guy don't wanta spill much! :dizzy:

25 gallons will not be "sneak by". It will be drowning it. Maybe even a bit of overkill. But you will never complain that you don't have enough.;)

Latest posts

Back